GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,230
1 members and 2,229 guests
Pinkmagnolia921

Old 08-09-2000, 03:41 PM
Grandma

Post Pledging after age 20

I am older than most of the people at my college, as I took an eight year hiatus from college to get married and have a child. I am really interesting in pledging a specific sorority, but I wonder if people will think I'm pathetic because I'm already 29.
My feeling is that when you want do something, you do it. No excuses. No whining about I'm older; too matured: too busy, but am I only justifying my case. Please help if you've been where I am currently.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-09-2000, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

If that's what you want to do...go for it! The only problems I can see you running into is the fact that you are married...some or all NPC sororities do not allow you to join if you are married (there have been posts on this previously). If this is the case, see about being a patron (not sure if all GLOs do this, mine does) or advisor or something.

Good luck!
Old 08-09-2000, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey!

You could just go through the Alumni Intiation program...especially if there is a specific sorority that you want to join. Just contact that sorority or better yet, if you know someone who is affiliated with the sorority, they can gain assess and information on the whole process.
Old 08-10-2000, 01:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Grandma:
...I am really interesting in pledging a specific sorority, but I wonder if people will think I'm pathetic because I'm already 29.
I love your enthusiasm and no-nonsense point of view! Please don't worry about what people think, you're not pathetic for wanting to be involved (and 29 is too young to be naming yourself Grandma!).

Let me tell you about one of my Chapter's founders. Like you, she took a hiatus from school (she did a stint in the military) and came back to school in her late 20s. She was (and still is) one of my Chapter's most active supporters; she is in fact sponsoring our newest Colony! She lives a full an active life, besides her job and a committed relationship.

So don't worry about what people think. If an greek organization truly values quality membership, then they will realize that you're there to be a truly active member. Best of luck, let us know how your experience goes!

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies
Old 08-10-2000, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Finer Woman10-A-91 Send a message via Yahoo to Finer Woman10-A-91
It depends on the organization in question. Go to their National homepage and do some research. I can tell you its not terribly uncommon in the NPHC www.NPHC.com to have older interests pledge as collegiates. Do what is in your heart and if it does not work out, seek interest as an alumni member.
Quote:
Originally posted by Grandma:
I am older than most of the people at my college, as I took an eight year hiatus from college to get married and have a child. I am really interesting in pledging a specific sorority, but I wonder if people will think I'm pathetic because I'm already 29.
My feeling is that when you want do something, you do it. No excuses. No whining about I'm older; too matured: too busy, but am I only justifying my case. Please help if you've been where I am currently.

------------------
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated...Every Finer Woman's Dream!
Old 08-19-2000, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

In the NPHC it does not matter as long as you are a full time student and have the time to commit to the sorority. Take it from me,I know because I was in your shoes. I am so glad I went through to become a member of my beloved sorority. Of course, NPHC has graduate membership also.
Old 08-20-2000, 05:32 PM
Banned

Lightbulb

Actually, ADPi doesn't have an alum initiate program--I checked.

Some of the others (NPC) that do are:

Alpha Sigma Alpha
Alpha Xi Delta
Delta Zeta
Delta Phi Epsilon
Old 08-20-2000, 06:24 PM
gloriajean

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Beryana:
Actually, ADPi doesn't have an alum initiate program--I checked.
ADPi does have an alumnae initiate program; here is an excerpt from an email which they sent me:
"Alpha Delta Pi does consider, in special instances, women for our Alumnae
Initiate program. According to our policy, potential members must, however
be recommended by an Alpha Delta Pi collegiate chapter, an alumnae
association, or three individual Alpha Delta Pi alumnae members in good
standing."

Old 08-20-2000, 06:26 PM
gloriajean

Quote:
Actually, ADPi doesn't have an alum initiate program
ADPi does indeed have an alumnae initiate program. Here is an excerpt from an email from ADPi: "Alpha Delta Pi does consider, in special instances, women for our Alumnae
Initiate program. According to our policy, potential members must, however
be recommended by an Alpha Delta Pi collegiate chapter, an alumnae
association, or three individual Alpha Delta Pi alumnae members in good
standing."
Old 08-20-2000, 11:40 PM
Banned

Lightbulb

I stand corrected. My information was from the response that I got from their (ADPi) National office where they basically said they didn't have such a program.
Old 08-21-2000, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SigKap:
You could just go through the Alumni Intiation program...especially if there is a specific sorority that you want to join. QUOTE]

I do not know of any GLOs that have this process. Which ones do you know of?

Old 08-21-2000, 12:15 AM
gloriajean

Talking

I do not know of any GLOs that have this process. Which ones do you know of?

For NPC sororities, many have alumnae initiate programs. such as:
Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Gamma Delta
Alpha Omicron Pi
Alpha Phi
Alpha Sigma Tau
Delta Gamma
Gamma Phi Beta
Kappa Alpha Theta
Pi Beta Phi
Sigma Kappa
Zeta Tau Alpha

These are only the NPC ones that I KNOW OF. There are likely others as well. Check their websites out, some have info directly on them.
Old 08-21-2000, 09:15 AM

Wink

Dear Non-Grandma,

One of my sisters was 25 when she pledged. Go for it.....I would bet your commitment level will be above & beyond that of most of your pledge sisters.

Since you are still in school, you would join the regular way, not through alumnae initiation.
Old 08-21-2000, 11:03 AM
Mouse

Alumnae Initiate programs

Delta Delta Delta has one too.
Old 08-21-2000, 07:11 PM
gloriajean

Cool

Quote:
I stand corrected. My information was from the response that I got from their (ADPi) National office where they basically said they didn't have such a program.
Beryana, I guess we are BOTH right! My response was also from Head Office, so they probably do it on a case by case basis, as opposed to having a full on program. I find that some websites give it more attention than others. Gamma Phi Beta has it directly on their website.