GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,280
0 members and 2,280 guests
No Members online

Old 11-13-2012, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

University of South Carolina sorority rush

When is the rush for sororities at South Carolina? And as a out-of-state student, would it be a disadvantage to be from the north?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-13-2012, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

South Carolina rushes in the fall, and our non-scientific information here is that being from out of state does not hinder your chances of joining a sorority. However, you do still have to be prepared, and that means recs to every chapter, a FULL understanding of what rush is, how it works, how to dress, what to say, etc.

I have a feeling you have some homework to do. Read a lot of the threads about competitive recruitment, schools where you absolutely need recs, conversation skills, etc. Then, after spending 4 or 5 hours (seriously) reading through some threads, if you have questions, go ahead and ask.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:02 AM
GreekChat Member

I do a lot of recommendations for girls participating in South Carolina's recruitment. ALL of my rec girls have been from out-of-state (including above the Mason-Dixon) and ALL have had successful recruitments.

As DubaiSis told you, S.C. has a fall recruitment. Typically, it is in August. Some sororities might have informal rush events in the spring if they have openings in their chapters. S.C. has a very active Greek Life and beautiful houses.

It's a competitive recruitment and you will need alumnae recommendations to every chapter. I know girls who have tried to rush at S.C. without recs and it was not a good outcome. As advised, learn everything you possibly can via the threads here at Greek Chat. You'll find a lot of valuable info!
Old 11-14-2012, 08:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarajay View Post
When is the rush for sororities at South Carolina? And as a out-of-state student, would it be a disadvantage to be from the north?
One thing that WILL put you at a disadvantage is the inability to do simple research to find simple information.

The first place to look for the answer to these questions is at the website of the school.

http://web.sa.sc.edu/sororitycouncil/recruitment/faq/

Everyone has to start somewhere, and being from the north does not have to be a disadvantage. Read everything you can here about recruitment, at the school's website, on the chapter websites, etc. to find your answers. I promise you, 99 out of 100 questions you have that can be answered (not questions like "what are my chances"), can be answered by doing your research. Good luck.

Last edited by ree-Xi; 11-16-2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: pluralization mistake
Old 11-15-2012, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Several chapters hold Spring Recruitment. Do you know anyone in a sorority already on campus? Being from the North is not a deal breaker. The advantage the the Southern girls have is that may have friends already in the chapters. Get your Recs together. ALL OF THEM, not just the houses you are interested in.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

??

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdee View Post
I do a lot of recommendations for girls participating in South Carolina's recruitment. ALL of my rec girls have been from out-of-state (including above the Mason-Dixon) and ALL have had successful recruitments.

As DubaiSis told you, S.C. has a fall recruitment. Typically, it is in August. Some sororities might have informal rush events in the spring if they have openings in their chapters. S.C. has a very active Greek Life and beautiful houses.

It's a competitive recruitment and you will need alumnae recommendations to every chapter. I know girls who have tried to rush at S.C. without recs and it was not a good outcome. As advised, learn everything you possibly can via the threads here at Greek Chat. You'll find a lot of valuable info!
DO you have any other ideas about how to get recommendations?
Old 06-07-2013, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Go here and READ: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=54403
Read all the other stickied threads in the Sorority Recruitment forum.

Ask all the adults you know - parents, relatives, parents' friends, neighbors, ladies in your church, ladies where you work, school teachers. Ask men, because their wives/mothers/sisters/friends could be sorority members.
When you find one sorority member, ask her if she knows any others.
And KEEP ASKING.

I hate it when someone says they can't find one of my sorority members...invariable they're from a town where there are dozens and dozens...if they had the gumption to ask around.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

My Midwestern God daughter had a very successful rush at South Carolina. She was well prepared for the fast pace, the conversations, and being cut by some chapters along the way. She cleaned her Facebook, studied the recruitment book/ info, picked out appropriate clothes for each round (some already owned, some new) and we tracked down recs for each group. She had full schedules and loved all of her pref chapters.

Ask everyone you, your parents, and your friends know to help you track down recs.

Read the stickies threads about recs, dress and conversations. There are MANY out of state students at SC. It's a popular school for people from the tundra lands.