GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,387
0 members and 1,387 guests
No Members online

Old 08-01-2001, 08:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks sister for stickin up for me!

I'm deeply amused that you had a defensive reaction towards my question, showstopper. It wasn't meant to be anything bad. I'm sorry you think lavaliering is "tackey" lol, but I guess you have a right to your opinions!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-01-2001, 09:13 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by ilovemyglo:
There is a curse that comes with lavalieres, I SWEAR IT!!

The only "curse" I know of is the "photograph" curse. Get a photo taken with a new boyfriend, next thing you know, you've broken up. It's true, I swear it!
I've seen it happen more than once.
Old 08-01-2001, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree CutiePie with the "photograph curse"! That happened to ME! The *only* boyfriend I've had a picture taken with was one at my Junior Prom! We'd gone out for 3.5 months, had our pic taken at prom together, and two weeks later we broke up!!! As it turns out, we took Driver's Ed together later that summer (not intentionally), and his mom called me up and asked me to give him his share of the pictures at class the next day. LOL!

------------------
***Tinkerbell***

~~~Don't worry, be happy!~~~
Old 08-01-2001, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaGam1019:
LIEP, sweetie.
Old 08-03-2001, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

There is a lot of good advice here, but as always you can never have enough. I take lavaliering as an important privilege something that most sorority members can dream about as much as being proposed to. The fraternity men work for their letters; we all know that, so the fact that a guy is giving up his letters to a special girl is something that should be treasured. There are different traditions that each fraternity goes through therefore the fraternity must also agree that this girl is important enough to wear their letters. So this girl that is getting lavaliered could be placed above the chapter's sweetheart. It is obvious here that each campus has a different meaning of whether lavaliering is a good thing or something that happens every 8 months. I myself just got lavaliered this past July and it was considered a pre-engagement (going from promise ring, to lavalier, hopefully then to engaged and married). I still wear my letters but not my lavalier on my neck (bracelet is a great idea). Of course I love my chapter and my girls, but it just more exciting to wear his. I think of it as wearing your grandmother's old engagement ring on your ring finger and when you get proposed to it is not like you are going to wear both of them on your ring finger, you are going to work something out specially for you. I hope the lavalier curse does not strike here and good luck with your compromise.
Old 08-08-2001, 07:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Nothing that I saw to be defensive about AlphaGam. I just thought I had to make my point bold that time. I'm amused that you think I'd post under a topic I had no knowledge about. My feelings about it are- if you want someone to know you're dating or married to someone of a particular organization, get a t-shirt that says it loud and proud. That's where the t-shirt comment came in. If I saw a man wearing my sororities letters, I would wonder about him and find it odd. The whole lavaliering things to me is just odd. (Like I said, this is to ME). When someone was dating a person is a NPHC org, they would typically join that persons "sweetheart" organization. These organizations still exist, but not for the same reasons anymore. As for me, I'd wear my mans baseball jersey, but not his letters.

Quote:

I'm deeply amused that you had a defensive reaction towards my question, showstopper. It wasn't meant to be anything bad. I'm sorry you think lavaliering is "tackey" lol, but I guess you have a right to your opinions!!
Old 08-08-2001, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Lavaliering is a little more than wearing your sig other's T shirt. Maybe it's a different meaning in NPHC groups. I'm not sure. I've never heard of a "sweetheart organization".
Old 08-11-2001, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

It is different because we don't do it, at all. The t-shirt thing was confused yet again. I said that I have seen t-shirts that state "I am dating/married to a member of (blank) organization." Not a t-shirt with your husbands/boyfirends letters on them. I've never heard of anyone doing that either. But hey, it may happen somewhere
Oh and...as for sweetheart organizations, they are more common in the South and in HBCU's than in NYC where I attend school. They are a totally different subject all-together and I don't want to move on that topic because I don't want to offend anyone who may be a member of those groups
Sorry if I've offended any "lavaliered" individuals or any soon to be lavaliered individuals. Go for it if it makes you happy and be blessed.

~SS08~

Quote:
Lavaliering is a little more than wearing your sig other's T shirt. Maybe it's a different meaning in NPHC groups. I'm not sure. I've never heard of a "sweetheart organization".
Old 08-11-2001, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

The photograph curse- I hear that!!! I have only 2 bfs that I have taken pics with- are they still around- NO! SO I guess no pics on the wedding day either huh(LOL).
Old 08-15-2001, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
I do not believe in any of the curses. My alpha gam gf has been lavaliered for more than a year and we are still doing great. And for the picture thing we have pictures together even longer than that. Don't mistake a coincidence as a curse =P. Stop believeing in curses and superstitions and nothing bad will happen to you. Sometimes people make things happen just because there convinced something will happen.

------------------
Tekes raise hell!