GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,631
2 members and 1,629 guests
Cookiez17, Sen's Revenge

Old 05-02-2005, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

California Public School Teachers - CBEST and CSET help

Just wondering if anyone is a public school teacher in California. I'm going to be teaching elementary school out there next year, and I'm currently struggling with studying for the CBEST and especially the CSET. Just wondering if anybody had any pointers for how to succeed on these ridiculously complicated tests.

I'm so overwhelmed by the amount of material on the CSET - i don't understand why i need physics, chemistry, and high school math to teach elementary school children.

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-02-2005, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

The CBEST is the easiest of all the teaching tests you will take. The best advice for the CSET is to get those homework help books for grades 3-6. The history, science and social science is mostly 4-6th grade material. (That is if you are just getting your multiple subject credential.)

CBEST and CSET testing taking classes are helpful. Just remember to answer the questions without babbling. They are looking for straight forward answers on the essays.

Good luck!!! Everyone needs a little when becoming a teacher...
Old 05-03-2005, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltaBetaAGD
The CBEST is the easiest of all the teaching tests you will take. The best advice for the CSET is to get those homework help books for grades 3-6. The history, science and social science is mostly 4-6th grade material. (That is if you are just getting your multiple subject credential.)

CBEST and CSET testing taking classes are helpful. Just remember to answer the questions without babbling. They are looking for straight forward answers on the essays.

Good luck!!! Everyone needs a little when becoming a teacher...
Grea advice! The CBEST is cake, so easy, but the CSET is another story as it tests on material from K-12 and really does cover all of these grade levels. I studied for two weeks abot 4-5 hours a day using the Cliff Notes Prep Book and I passed all three of the Multiple Subject tests my first try (which is no easy feat!). Also, within the essay section part, if you don't know the answer, show whatever work you can so you can get at least 1/4 points. Let me tell you that had to be the only thing that saved my on the math and science essays!

Good Luck and PM if you have anymore questions (I'm in my 2/3 semesters of a credentialing program so I have lots of info.)

Do you have to take the RICA eventually? That is the test I am taking next.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

I am scheduled to take the CSET this Saturday. Ugh. I did buy that book you mentioned (Cliffs Notes Prep Book) and I've been studying it like crazy.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I took the CBEST in the early 90s when GEN Alum was assigned to the National Training Ctr. From what I recall, it was ridiculously easy. There was no CSET at the time.

You need to be able to "do" the high school mathematics to truly understand the elementary levels. Can you imagine a secondary teacher who only teaches trig and below saying they don't "need" DiffEQs, OR or Calculus?
Old 10-31-2006, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiepatootie View Post
I cannot get over the CSET. What are they trying to prove or do discourage instead of encourage ppl from becoming teachers. I have a 6 yr old i dont see him learning the math portion of that test in elem school i can see it if your teaching HS and JR HIGH MATH. I am very discouraged about becoming an elem teacher if it comes down to passing the CSET. I might just teach in private school before or if i ever pass the CSET.

It's not a matter of discouraging people but rather of making sure that those who teach in our public school systems are adequately trained to teach.

Let's put it this way. Would you want a lawyer who couldn't pass their LSAT? Or a doctor that couldn't pass their MCAT?

Last edited by BetteDavisEyes; 10-31-2006 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I cannot get over the CSET. What are they trying to prove or do discourage instead of encourage ppl from becoming teachers. I have a 6 yr old i dont see him learning the math portion of that test in elem school i can see it if your teaching HS and JR HIGH MATH. I am very discouraged about becoming an elem teacher if it comes down to passing the CSET. I might just teach in private school before or if i ever pass the CSET.
Oh my gosh. I don't believe this shit.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:04 PM

Quote:
$10 says your the same person who says they want to teach because its easy and you get summers off.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:27 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Old 11-01-2006, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm looking at my study guide for the CSET. It is a difficult test to take but not impossible to pass. If it were, there wouldn't be teachers in CA.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yeah, that is ridiculous that they'd expect teachers to have an understanding of the subjects they're teaching. What gives with that? I'd much rather have uneducated, underqualified teachers in the schools.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

My scores will be released on December 4th. I talked about it with some other people from my classes that took with me on Saturday & we all got the same test & most of us gave the same type of answers on the essays.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

It took me 4 hours to complete all 3 sections today. Now I can only wait until the results are posted next month.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Wow. I'm glad I only had to do the PRAXIS I and II, because this CSET thing sounds scary!!! Good luck!
Old 12-04-2006, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

The results are in from the CSET I took one month ago.
I took all 3 of the CSET exams in one sitting and have passed 2 of them. I failed the Math/Science CSET but I know I was close. You need a score of 220 to pass & I received a 211. My scores for the other 2 exams weren't released via the internet. Those they mail to me. Yay to me for passing 2 of the hurdles but Boo for failing one. Oh well. Now I have to study some more & retake it in January.