GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,319
2 members and 2,317 guests
Pinkmagnolia921, Xidelt

Old 03-22-2009, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Creating A Chapter *HELP!!!*

There is little Greek life at my college. No rushes, no interest meeting... nothing! So far I recently contacted the director of student activities at my school. I informed him of my interest. He gave me helpful ideas to do things like contact the president of the other sorority and find out what obstacles they faced- and so on. I also attended a few events at other schools who have the sorority that I am interested in as well as volunteered with a local grad chapter with hopes of getting more information and first-hand experience. From what I understand, there is not a city wide chapter at this time in my area. I will not graduate until SP 2010 and I am hoping that I will have enough time. People warned that it takes "years" and they discouraged me to not even try... I have decided to stick to what I've dreamt to do... and what I *will* accomplish before I die!!

I am hoping that the grad chapter will be my sponsor?! I communicate via e-mail with them.
---Shall I explain to them what I am trying to do? How do I go about it?

Also, there are a few (2-3) females that attend my school that are in the sorority. From what I hear, one of the girls has already contacted our regional director (I believe that is her title). I am pretty sure that our school gave us the "ok". I know that SGA members are for it as well as the student activities director.

There was also a (BSU) survey going around to find out if students think that the school needs more Greek organizations and if they were interested in them.

Please direct me in the right direction.
I do not have any one close to me that is in this sorority. Unfortunately the closes person that I had passed away this Christmas (God bless her soul). She was my mentor. I did meet all of her sorors at the viewing. They encouraged me some.
Please HELP!

Last edited by determined26; 03-23-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-22-2009, 08:06 PM

I would think that the national website of the sorority would have info about it.

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for your input. I did everything that the webpage instructed before I posted this.

I was asking for any suggestions or "What do I say to the graduate chapter? How do I go about it?"

And actually I just got off of the phone the regional director. I am just seeking support and overall suggestions.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Denise_DPhiE
You are talking about NPHC groups not NPC, right?
Old 03-23-2009, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, NPHC.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise_DPhiE View Post
You are talking about NPHC groups not NPC, right?
Yeah. I was like colony...isn't that an NPC term?

If there isn't a citywide chapter, how are there "females" at your school that are members of the organization? Are they graduate students that crossed into another chapter and now attend your school? Are they transfer students? Did they cross before the chapter was suspended or put on probation?

Color me confused, I need clarification.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

If you are already in touch with grad members close to your school, then come right out and ask them how you can go about becoming a member and if chartering a chapter at your school is possible. They should have the answers you seek. When we say practice discretion, we mean don't go around telling everyone of your interest but how can you get anywhere, if you don't make your interest known to anyone in the sorority? Good Luck.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanMami0286 View Post
Yeah. I was like colony...isn't that an NPC term?

If there isn't a citywide chapter, how are there "females" at your school that are members of the organization? Are they graduate students that crossed into another chapter and now attend your school? Are they transfer students? Did they cross before the chapter was suspended or put on probation?

Color me confused, I need clarification.

I know of two girls. One girl is a "general member", I think, of a grad chapter...
The other girl I do not know.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
If you are already in touch with grad members close to your school, then come right out and ask them how you can go about becoming a member and if chartering a chapter at your school is possible. They should have the answers you seek. When we say practice discretion, we mean don't go around telling everyone of your interest but how can you get anywhere, if you don't make your interest known to anyone in the sorority? Good Luck.
I spoke with one soror in the grad chapter. I made my interest known. She responded with, do you know ___________ (one of the girls that goes to my school that is a general member) and I said yes . Then she asked were we friends and I said no. Then she asked did I have a sponsor. I told her no. The conversation kind of ended there...
Old 03-23-2009, 07:16 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by determined26 View Post
I spoke with one soror in the grad chapter. I made my interest known. She responded with, do you know ___________ (one of the girls that goes to my school that is a general member) and I said yes . Then she asked were we friends and I said no. Then she asked did I have a sponsor. I told her no. The conversation kind of ended there...
NPHC sorority members -- is it okay for people to use the word "soror" when they're not a member? Just curious.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I was thinking the same thing when I was writing it but I didn't know what else to call her. I guess when a spoke to an XYZ woman? Is that what you use on this chat? I am new to it. My apologies.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by determined26 View Post
I was thinking the same thing when I was writing it but I didn't know what else to call her. I guess when a spoke to an XYZ woman? Is that what you use on this chat? I am new to it. My apologies.
People make this mistake all the time when they are not aware of NPHC culture. The word "soror" is what sorority sisters use to refer to one another and only those in their sorority. If I am talking to a member of another sorority about her sorority sister, I will say "your soror...." but I will not call her soror because she is not my sorority sister.

I find it comical that once people learn of the word "soror," they forget that they can simply use the words "sister" or "member" to refer to sorority members. Hilarious!
Old 03-23-2009, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, true. . . Similar to a person saying the "n" word and not being black. Yeah, ok.. sorry.

But back to why I am here.
So let's say that we are granted permission to have a chapter and the grad chapter sponsors us... (1)how long does will it take to get things started? Keeping in mind that I graduate in a year.
(2) Could the new chapter at my school automatically become a citywide chapter??
(3) Will it be difficult for this process to take place if there aren't any faculty members involved in the sorority?