GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,528
0 members and 1,528 guests
No Members online

Old 09-18-2017, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

I believe the FIPG requires chapters to participate in an alcohol awareness program such as Alchol.edu every year or face severe financial penalties. As a national organization, we are required to have 98% annual participation in the Alcohol.edu program.

That said, awareness of an issue does not get rid of the issue. Occasionally, college aged people are going to do dumb things, but while the membership of a chapter is responsible for dumb things, it is alumni, be it in a House Corp or advisory capacity who provide the opportunities for these dumb things. When incidents such as this occur, I wonder how aware these kids' advisers were of the hazing. I wonder what steps they've taken to prevent the hazing or whether they are active participants. Since none of those advisers wants to be named a co-defendant, we'll probably never know those answers, but those things would really be nice for a lot of us to know.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 09-18-2017, 11:29 PM

Phi Delta Theta has closed the chapter.

http://www.nola.com/education/index....ity_death.html
Old 11-20-2019, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Former LSU student sentenced in death of fraternity pledge Max Gruver

https://abcnews.go.com/US/lsu-studen..._null_card_hed

Quote:
A former Louisiana State University student has been sentenced to five years in prison in the 2017 hazing death of fraternity pledge Max Gruver.

Matthew Naquin, 21, who was found guilty in July of negligent homicide in Gruver's death, will likely serve two and a half years because half of his sentence was suspended, and his time behind bars could be cut down even more for good behavior or through jail programs, ABC Baton Rouge affiliate WBRZ reported. Officials will check in June 2020 to determine whether he will remain in prison.

Gruver, 18, died in September 2017 following a night of drinking with Phi Delta Theta, in which he was hazed. The day after he died, Gruver's blood alcohol level was still .496, four times the legal limit, his father, Stephen Gruver, told ABC News in December 2017.

@~/~~~~