GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,555
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, annetausasdy968
» Online Users: 2,414
1 members and 2,413 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's a brief update. Today is the 1st half of 2nd Round/Philanthropy. As of a few minutes ago there were 1567 PNMs still registered. This year's stats won't be available for several weeks after Recruitment is completed, but the stats I have for 2000-2007 show no PNM was completely cut after Open House. So I think it's a safe assumption that these were voluntary withdrawals. We'll never know how many quit to pursue Alpha Phi; how many were cut by their favorites and weren't interested in continuing with those they were still invited to; how many simply decided Greek life was not for them; etc.

Yesterday, the 2nd half of Open House round, it was in the upper 70's to low 80's with a light but steady rain all day. For anyone not going through Recruitment it was a great day since the majority of the state has been in extreme drought conditions for over a year. I felt bad for the PNMs slogging from house to house with their umbrellas, but the rain was really needed. Today it was cloudy most of the morning and cooler than typical August, again low 80's. The sun finally broke out by midday which warmed things a bit more, but it's still down right pleasant.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-13-2008, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
How many could she accept? I'm not sure how many parties there are at this round.
PNM's can attend a max of 11 parties this round.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

[quote=FreshmenDAD;1696638]My daughter spoke with me earlier today and was upset because she was cut from several sororities that she really liked but she did get invited back to 8.quote]

I don't know much about Rush either but this morning when my daughter told me how many sororities she was invited back to, one happened to be one that was on her bottom three. After today's Philanthropy Day with them she loved them! So it really pays to keep an open mind
Old 08-13-2008, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

oops I did something wrong in the quote....sorry
Old 08-13-2008, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

first cuts

I heard from my daughter earlier today after ten but couldn't share til now (My computer denies access to GC...can't imagine why-lol) Anyway, she was tickled when she got 11 invites back for Philanthopy days. Only one house cut her (this time around) so she picked up another one. We laughed saying.."Sure are glad they had pictures and resumes(recs) to go by, because after yesterday we all looked like drownded(sp?) rats!!" Anyway, she felt really lucky(really) after talking to some of the other super awesome PNM's that she has met. I keep reminding her of what many have said...it only takes one to find a home!

Oh yeah, we are going up for bid day. I hear it's quite a spectacle!
Old 08-13-2008, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
A question about Alpha Phi & SDT:

Someone posted that after Bid Day, there will be a 3 week period of no COR so Alpha Phi can recruit. Is this for SDT as well? And did SDT take part in the first round, like I'm pretty sure they have done in the past?

I really would love to see the SDT's numbers improve.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 08-13-2008, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok what the heck is Alpha Phi and why is it separate from regular rush?

And why is everyone so worried if Bama guarantees a bid anyway?

The rush is the talk of the town around here lol heard a mom talking about the AU rush at the salon yesterday and heard two mom's in the hallway at my son's doctor's appt today. The ones at the doctor's office actually had the doctor himself out in the hall telling them about how beautiful their babies probably looked doing the rush thing at "The University of Alabama" ... I'm not gonna lie, I had to roll my eyes.

Glad everyone here is doing well so far!
Old 08-13-2008, 07:23 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnMom08 View Post
Ok what the heck is Alpha Phi and why is it separate from regular rush?
Alpha Phi: www.alphaphi.org

Alpha Phi has limited participation in recruitment because they are re-colonizing. It's pretty normal for re-colonizing chapters to hold a special recruitment for new members to get a cross section of members from all class standings, instead of the the usual freshmen and one or two upperclassmen.

From the 'Bama A Phi website: http://alphaphialabama.com/recruitme...onization.html

Quote:
Alpha Phi will hold special recruitment events for interested women following the conclusion of formal recruitment. These events will be geared toward encouraging interaction between potential new members, and sharing the details about what life in a new Alpha Phi chapter will really be like. While we know that many potential new members will find their home through the formal recruitment process, we hope that you will recognize this unique opportunity and keep Alpha Phi in mind as you make your decision about your future sorority.

Last edited by Unregistered-; 08-13-2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Phi is an International sorority that is new to colonize at Bama. There aere many posts on this board regarding their colonization and I suggest using the search function: http://www.alphaphi.org/

That is what the heck it is.
(If you weren't typing, I would say, "open mouth, insert foot")
Old 08-13-2008, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Yikes. Sorry.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh and I obviously know it is a sorority, I just keep seeing it in reference to Bama in this thread so I mistakenly thought I could ask.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:57 PM

Yeah their colony recruitment will take place after recruitment, which is going to be pretty exciting.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnMom08 View Post
And why is everyone so worried if Bama guarantees a bid anyway?
Bama (presumably, if they "guarantee a bid") guarantees a bid to women who are invited to and attend one or more preference parties and maximize their options (attend and rank all parties for which they have room on their schedules) throughout recruitment. A better term would be "guaranteed matching".

This policy does not "guarantee a bid" for any Jane that signs up for recruitment. If all the chapters cut her, Panhellenic can't force any of them to take her (except at Tufts) .

This policy also does not apply to women who drop out or do not rank all of their preference chapters. It's actually a measure to discourage "suiciding".

Presumably, everyone is "worried" that they won't get their top picks.

ETA: Just as Alpha Phi will be recolonizing at Alabama, Kappa Alpha Theta will be recolonizing at Auburn, although not until January. Another option for your daughter to consider, AuburnMom08. Of course, no guarantees.

Last edited by violetpretty; 08-13-2008 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone know if chapters are obligated to invite legacies back to at least one round before they can be cut from their list?
Old 08-13-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uamomma View Post
Does anyone know if chapters are obligated to invite legacies back to at least one round before they can be cut from their list?

Legacy policies vary by sorority. Ideally there are some courtesies extended to legacies depending on the policy (though they aren't guaranteed bids), but keep in mind that at some schools chapters may have so many legacies coming through that they could theoretically fill an entire pledge class with legacies, so they just cannot keep them all.

This is why we tell PNMs not to think that being a legacy means they're "a shoe-in" because at some big schools, there are ALOT of legacies.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 08-13-2008 at 09:28 PM.
Closed Thread