GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Lambda > Lambda Chi Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,453
1 members and 2,452 guests
navane

Old 04-04-2008, 02:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HONKY660
Wacky article involving members of LCA at Tenn-Chatt.

I read this stupid article about two Lambda Chi Alpha members running for student government at the University of Tennessee-Chattanooga, it uses Lambda Chi's ideals as a tool not to vote for these guys.

http://www.utcecho.com/home/news/200...-3299042.shtml
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-04-2008, 06:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Someone attending college actually wrote that article?

You think that is "wacky", come spend a day with my in Amherst.

This week's Amherst controversy is the town allowing anti-war and anti-military marchers and floats in the Memorial Day parade.

Let me say that again: This week's Amherst controversy is the town allowing anti-war and ANTI-MILITARY marchers and floats in the MEMORIAL DAY parade.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:12 AM

I'm sorry but I just have to crash because this is something that grates on my nerves.

Just because you follow what have come to be known as "Christian values" (i.e. love for your fellow man, do unto others, etc) does not mean you believe in Christ or are a practicing Christian, or are against people who aren't Christian. My ex practiced more "Christian values" than most people I've met, and he's an atheist.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I'm sorry but I just have to crash because this is something that grates on my nerves.

Just because you follow what have come to be known as "Christian values" (i.e. love for your fellow man, do unto others, etc) does not mean you believe in Christ or are a practicing Christian, or are against people who aren't Christian. My ex practiced more "Christian values" than most people I've met, and he's an atheist.
I was wondering what this has to do with the article that was presented here?

Your beliefs in the Christian priciples are outstanding of course and no one cares about what your exes were all about.

LX Z # 1
Alumni

Last edited by Tom Earp; 04-04-2008 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
I was wondering what this has to do with the article that was presented here?

Your beliefs in the Christian priciples are outstanding of course and no one cares about what your exes were all about.
Tom, read the article.

They are implying that since the people who are running for office are both from GLOs that mention "Christian ideals" non-Christians will not be represented or able to voice their views. I am pointing out that just because you follow "Christian values" does not automatically mean you believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God and Savior. And even if you do, doesn't mean you can't reprensent Jews, Muslims, etc etc.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Interesting!

According to the Web site, www.lambdachi.org, one of the reasons Lambda Chi Alpha was formed was, "to foster a high Christian standard of life and ideals."

If the highest-ranking officers of SGA are both from this fraternity, non-Christian UTC students could feel alienated by the very people who would claim to represent them.

Marczynski is a member of Chi Omega, and according to the Web site nm.chiomega.com, "Our members recognize the efforts and enlightenment of the Greek world, and they strive to uphold the values of a Judeo-Christian lifestyle."

This is certainly a more inclusive statement than the one on Lambda Chi Alpha's Web site.

GO SARAH!
Old 04-04-2008, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

That's a damned stupid editorial all the way through. To draw a sharp line of distinction between a Christian standard and a Judeo-Christian lifestyle is rather silly, not to mention saying two Lambda Chis would both help and hurt the fraternity, and, "One of the most encouraging aspects of our current SGA leadership is our vice-president, Drew Holland, is not a member of any Greek organizations." So vote for the Chi Omega.

None of it makes any sense, but hey, they're just starting out.

"Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong."...Oscar Wilde
Old 04-04-2008, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Tom, read the article.

They are implying that since the people who are running for office are both from GLOs that mention "Christian ideals" non-Christians will not be represented or able to voice their views. I am pointing out that just because you follow "Christian values" does not automatically mean you believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God and Savior. And even if you do, doesn't mean you can't reprensent Jews, Muslims, etc etc.

I am Sorry, but did we read the same article?

Your stretch for posting on this thread seems to be only a way to stir things up as you usually do on GC.

As Jono said, it paraphraing leaves a lot of openess and you seem to be picking at something that is not there.

NutbrnHair, you do also bring up a good point and only whats her face brings up something wih no relationship to anything but to start a problem in a thread she does not need to be in.

But, she does seem to have a way to do that?

LXA was Founded on Christian Principles, but we as not only a International Fraternity, accept members from all races and relegions.

33GIRL seems to have a different adgenda for posting this and only she knows why.

Never mind, I know why!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-04-2008, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

TOM!

You will behave as a gentleman on this forum or I will ask you not to post as a member of Lambda Chi Alpha.

"Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong."...Oscar Wilde
Old 04-04-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
LXA was Founded on Christian Principles, but we as not only a International Fraternity, accept members from all races and relegions.
Tom,

That's exactly what I said.

PLEASE read the article before you criticize me for something I didn't say. I am not trying to "stir anything up" - as a matter of fact, I posted to show SUPPORT for your brothers at UT-Chattanooga, as I would for any other Greek who was targeted by such a ridiculous article.

If anything, NBH is the one you should be angry with, as she is the one advocating voting (for what seem to be suspect reasons) for one of her sisters and not for one of your brothers. In your forum.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
whats her face

This cracked me up.

Tom Earp, what 33girl is saying is a response to a point the article brought up regarding whether or not these two men can represent the student body (and whether "Christian values" are truly exclusive to Christians). And the Christian vs. Judeo-Christian distinction that was made is rather silly.

I think this issue is ridiculous. It would cause an uproar if students were warned not to vote for a Muslim, Hindu, atheists, etc. because non-Muslims, etc. could be alienated.

The GLO membership for all the candidates is a better leg to stand on only if there is the potential to use offices to benefit GLOs rather than serve the student body. But for the most part I see this editorial as an attempt to draw attention to minute things as to distract from the real concerns. Kind of like the Presidential Campaigns.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Your stretch for posting on this thread seems to be only a way to stir things up as you usually do on GC.

33GIRL seems to have a different adgenda for posting this and only she knows why.
I interpreted 33girl's post as a (valid) criticism of the article. Not as anything inflammatory or trouble-seeking. The OP criticized the article as well, so 33 is quite on topic - right?

Not that I agree or disagree with her particular post, but it seems like NutBrnHair's posting "Go Sarah" when Sarah is running against a Lambda Chi Alpha would be more along the lines of "stirring things up" in the LXA forum, yet you praise her post.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, please!

Quote:
If anything, NBH is the one you should be angry with, as she is the one advocating voting (for what seem to be suspect reasons) for one of her sisters and not for one of your brothers. In your forum.

I'm for Sarah because I know Sarah.

"suspect reasons"
Old 04-04-2008, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I have always been welcomed in the Lambda Chi Forum. These guys know I like them. I am not trying to stir anything up.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
I'm for Sarah because I know Sarah.

"suspect reasons"
Suspect = I thought you agreed with the premise of the article (i.e. that people should vote for her because Chi O has "Judeo Christian ideals" as opposed to LXA's "Christian ideals"). I had no clue you knew this young woman personally. Adding that information would have been helpful.