GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,207
3 members and 1,204 guests
indygphib, Sarak24034, UofISigKap
Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Wouldn't it make more sense to join a Christian sorority if you're looking for a Christ-centered sisterhood like Sigma Phi Lambda or Alpha Delta Chi?

I'm a member of a sorority openly founded on Christian principles and I wouldn't call the sisterhood Christ-centered. It depends chapter by chapter I'm sure but overall I don't see it as Christ-centered because then we couldn't pledge and fully accept women of all backgrounds like we do.

Not asking in a snarky tone.

Last edited by robinseggblue; 08-28-2015 at 02:04 PM. Reason: removed something that made my post's purpose unclear
Old 08-28-2015, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Please don't recommend starting a sorority. Ever.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Please don't recommend starting a sorority. Ever.
I didn't mean it like that. But I do know that Sigma Phi Lambda has been expanding in the last few years. And they're already established at TAMU...

My suggestion is more that if someone wants a Christ-centered sisterhood specifically then is there a reason it wouldn't be better to join an organization that was established with that in mind?

Last edited by robinseggblue; 08-28-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinseggblue View Post
Wouldn't it make more sense to join a Christian sorority if you're looking for a Christ-centered sisterhood like Sigma Phi Lambda or Alpha Delta Chi?

I'm a member of a sorority openly founded on Christian principles and I wouldn't call the sisterhood Christ-centered. It depends chapter by chapter I'm sure but overall I don't see it as Christ-centered because then we couldn't pledge and fully accept women of all backgrounds like we do.

I think pledging and accepting women of all backgrounds is one of the most Christian things that you could do.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdy96 View Post
Thanks for y'all's confidence! As 33girl suggested, I probably was intentionally paired with religious girls. And like DubaiSis said, I definitely brought it up casually and dropped it if they weren't interested. But I must say, God has totally had His hand on this process! I've genuinely enjoyed my time in almost every house, even if some feel more like home than others, and I've had awesome conversations everywhere! Bid day is tomorrow (I'm posting 2 days delayed) and I am so excited to see where I end up!

Good luck! I have my fingers crossed that you find a good home! You seem really sweet and you have a good head on your shoulders. Any organization would be honored to have you.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCat View Post
I think pledging and accepting women of all backgrounds is one of the most Christian things that you could do.
I actually cheered out loud when I read this! Thank you for saying it, KDCat.

I think when howdy96 said that she was looking for a Christ-centered community, she didn't mean that the entire sorority had to be completely focused on Jesus 24/7. I imagine she meant that she wanted a place where she could easily find a core group of friends who would share her faith and help her to grow in her Christian walk, a place where she could be 100% herself around the subject of faith and feel welcomed rather than ostracized. Certainly she knows that there are going to be women of different views in the chapters. I've been in jobs where it was frowned upon to speak openly about religion, and I've been in other jobs (still totally secular) where I've met wonderful men and women of faith who have had a positive impact on my own journey. I think I found a "Christ-centered community" there.

Be a Volunteer!
Old 08-28-2015, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisaMay View Post

I think when howdy96 said that she was looking for a Christ-centered community, she didn't mean that the entire sorority had to be completely focused on Jesus 24/7. I imagine she meant that she wanted a place where she could easily find a core group of friends who would share her faith and help her to grow in her Christian walk, a place where she could be 100% herself around the subject of faith and feel welcomed rather than ostracized. Certainly she knows that there are going to be women of different views in the chapters. I've been in jobs where it was frowned upon to speak openly about religion, and I've been in other jobs (still totally secular) where I've met wonderful men and women of faith who have had a positive impact on my own journey. I think I found a "Christ-centered community" there.
This exactly.

Have an amazing Bid Day!
Old 08-28-2015, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCat View Post
I'm not disputing this but when I think Christ-centered I think that it means each sister should accept Jesus Christ as her Lord and Savior and do all things through Him. This is what Christ-centered anything means in the community I grew up in and that isn't what NPC is about in my experience. Different definitions? I don't know what the poster's definition is.

I have best friends who found religious fulfillment and what they wanted in a Christ-centered sisterhood (as I described) through joining Christian sororities and that's the reason I asked and mentioned it.

Last edited by robinseggblue; 08-28-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

It's definitely a legitimate question, robinseggblue! And I think it will be different for each person.

(I actually attempted to colonize a chapter of the Christian sorority Phi Beta Chi back in the day. It didn't work out, but I learned a lot!)

Be a Volunteer!
Old 08-28-2015, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisaMay View Post

I've worked with several chapters as an alum and they were all different from each other. One of them had a substantial group of sisters who were very active in Christian groups on campus and had leadership roles in several of them. They were fantastic members of their chapter. They were definitely 100% themselves around issues of faith and they were much loved by their chapters, including their more secular sisters. They taught some positive things to their secular sisters and they learned some positive things from their secular sisters. It was an extremely enriching environment on both sides of the faith fence.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

This is so interesting. At my alma mater and the school I work at, the focus for many young women is also on joining a house where their religion is appreciated and supported. But in these cases, we're talking about Judaism, not Christianity. There are "traditionally Jewish" sororities, but there are more Jewish women going through recruitment than can join those houses, so non-Jewish sororities are "becoming Jewish." (Sorry for all the quotes). I think part of the reason for joining a sorority is to find a place where you have sisters who support you, and if religion is an important part of your life, then of course you'd want to be somewhere where you have others who support that.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCarnation View Post
This is so interesting. At my alma mater and the school I work at, the focus for many young women is also on joining a house where their religion is appreciated and supported. But in these cases, we're talking about Judaism, not Christianity. There are "traditionally Jewish" sororities, but there are more Jewish women going through recruitment than can join those houses, so non-Jewish sororities are "becoming Jewish." (Sorry for all the quotes). I think part of the reason for joining a sorority is to find a place where you have sisters who support you, and if religion is an important part of your life, then of course you'd want to be somewhere where you have others who support that.
For the win.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinseggblue View Post

Thanks for your curiosity! I wanted to go Greek for a few different reasons, the main one being a way to find christian friends who could support, encourage, and challenge me, but also to be in an organization that I could meet girls of different backgrounds/beliefs and just love them right where they're at. Like KDCat said, one of the best ways to show who Christ really is to love people despite their differences from you! I also love that joining an NPC organization gives me a bond with women all over the country and even the world who I can share my sisterhood with. Christian sororities are awesome and I have several friends who love the ones they're in, but I didn't want to be surrounded by only like-minded people. I wanted to challenge myself to grow and see others' viewpoints. Jesus calls us not to be comfortable, but to go out and share light!
Old 08-28-2015, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdy96 View Post
Thanks for your curiosity! I wanted to go Greek for a few different reasons, the main one being a way to find christian friends who could support, encourage, and challenge me, but also to be in an organization that I could meet girls of different backgrounds/beliefs and just love them right where they're at. Like KDCat said, one of the best ways to show who Christ really is to love people despite their differences from you! I also love that joining an NPC organization gives me a bond with women all over the country and even the world who I can share my sisterhood with. Christian sororities are awesome and I have several friends who love the ones they're in, but I didn't want to be surrounded by only like-minded people. I wanted to challenge myself to grow and see others' viewpoints. Jesus calls us not to be comfortable, but to go out and share light!
I'm also a Christian and am excited to see where you found your Greek home.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I grew up in a non-religious household and was worried about getting grief for *not* being a Christian in a sorority. I was open about my beliefs and I was pleased to find that there was room for everyone on the spectrum in my chapter.

It takes all sorts!

Closed Thread