GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,344
1 members and 1,343 guests
Cookiez17

Old 09-11-2003, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerStar Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerStar
What's your story?

okay so i was just laying in bed last nite...when i cant sleep i just think...i do my best thinking then haha. okay so i was thinking last nite that there are all these rush threads kinda spreadin around here and even though it is incredible to read these rush threads i just thought it'd be fascinating to read some rush stories from some of the members. so for all of you who are already in a sorority...or fraternity...tell us your rush story and bid day stories.

this could also be good therapy for those girls that havent gone through yet. it might make them feel better and calmer and get them even more pepped up about rush. reading a fairy tale always makes you feel better doesnt it?
Old 09-11-2003, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

hey try this one on for size, I still have my note cards and my diary from rush! I will postthem later!

Facebook
Old 09-11-2003, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerStar Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerStar
outstanding
Old 09-11-2003, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

My rush thread is still on here...so that's that.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Although I'm NPHC, maybe mine is interesting.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NinjaPoodle
I think it would be!
Old 09-11-2003, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally posted by NinjaPoodle
That would be awesome! NPHC women can't post as they go (discretion), but I would love to hear some members tell us the path they took.

I think it would de-mystify the process a bit if some of us could hear a personal story.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:55 PM

NinjaPoodle, I'd definitely agree. If you'd be willing to share anything appropriate with us about your journey, we're all eyes
Old 09-12-2003, 09:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Okay, here are my first day notes from fall rush 99:
Group #1- wow, tons of girls! They started from the front of the lawn all the way to the back of the house. I have about 15 friends in this house. I only had one girl to talk to, but I met people in the different rooms. They have a huge house. Everyone seems nice. Their dues aren't too high and the girl said they ask that you live in the house 3 semesters, so I could do that! Overall I really like this house and hope I get invited back.

Group #2- Okay I had one girl the entire time. SHe smelled bad, and she put a scrapbook in front of me with a bunch of pics of people I don't know and really from what I can tell don't want to. I know a few girls in this house, (Jamie) but I can't shake that, Take a bath! feeling because of that girl! She reeked!

Group #3- This house was okay, until the last girl I talked to. They did something totally different when we got off the vans than any of the other groups, which was neat. The last girl took my boyfriend to their formal last year, when he and I were already together. It's funny, cause I know she has a thing for him, but she knew (my friend that was killed the year before) and we got to talk about that.

So at the end of the first night I like #1, and #3 in that order- but I would rather not be in a sorority than join #2.

Facebook

Last edited by ilovemyglo; 09-12-2003 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Sarah - I got you beat! I didn't even have notes then and I can still remember the stuff now!!! (I rushed in January of 1995! ) OK, this might be long...

So I went through this wonderful thing called "Structured Informal Rush". I loved it! Much better than regular COB. Our Panhel set up times for parties - they started and ended at a certain time. You were responsible for getting yourself to the house (not a big deal cuz tons of people had cars and all the houses were within walking distance of the dorms). There were two days for Round 1, then Saturday all day you could return for Round 2 - 40 minute parties. Then you went and ranked the houses. The next day, Sunday, you picked up you invites for Pref. After pref you ranked and Sunday night was Bid Night! I went with 4 other girls. I was a sophomore, so I already knew a lot of girls in houses. I was on the dance team with 2 girls from #2 and 2 girls from #6. One of those #6 girls had taught dance camps with me the previous summer, too, and had been trying to get me to go through Formal. She knew I was on the fence about trying informal.

So, we decided to forgo Thursday parties b/c we knew we did not want to hit all 11 houses. We skipped the 2 smallest, the "jock" house, and the "typical sorority girl" house. Trust me, I KNEW none of those 4 houses were for me!!!

Round 1 (AXO, AOPi, AZD, XO, DZ, DG)

#1 - I got picked up by a girl who was just initiated. She was nice, but didn't have a lot to say. She wasn't very exctied. She stayed with me the whole time and other people would stop by and say hi, but no one seemed to want to get to know you. They were also very "girly" and I'm not into that.

#2 - Two girls from the dance team in this house. I was picked up by a nice girl, but then one of the dance team girls came over. I really liked her and she introduced me to one of her good friends who I also really liked. Their house was an old private house they had converted and was very homey. After a while the other dance team girl came over and she was complaining to me about how she was so tired and didn't feel like talking. I can't say I liked that. Show some enthusiasm!!!

#3 - We didn't intend to go here. We parked in their paring lot b/c it was next to #4 and they didn't have parking. But they saw us sitting there so we figured we might as well go in. One girl took me through the whole time. She was SO sweet and I really liked her, but the rest of the girls were a little "rough" I guess. I just didn't get a sisterly vibe. There was also a girl I saw from one of my dance classes who gave me a HUGE hug even though I'd barely said two words to her. Creepy!

#4 - My roomie was a member here. I loved my roomie so I thought I would love them. It was ok, but a little boring, and the other girls didn't seem as fun as my roomie. If it wasn't for her, I probably would not want to go back for a second visit.

#5 - A very popular house. I had a friend from high school in this house. I thought I should like them a lot, but I was pretty bored. None of the girls stuck out to me, although their accomplishments and lnvolvement were great.

#6 - I was greeted by the nicest girl who wrote out my nametag. Then I looked up and saw my friend from dance team coming down the stairs to greet rushees. She saw my, got this huge smile on her face and grabbed me. She took me around and introduced me to what seemed like every girl in the house. Every one of them seemed so excited and friendly and full of smiles and really happy to be there. I loved this house!

Round 2 - I went back to 4 houses - remember, we picked where we went back to (AXO, AZD, XO, DG)

#2 - I got picked up be some really sweet girls who knew who I was from the day before even though I hadn't met them - that made me feel good. They were super nice but the convo did drag a bit. I got a house tour and it was nice, but I did notice that I'd have to share the bathroom with about 10 girls. That wasn't cool...but overall I really liked the girls here.

#4 - I went back for my rommie's sake. I was still bored. I had the same conversation with every girl - about curling irons! I wanted to like them, and they were nice, but I was just bored!

#5 - This time I got picked up by my friend from high school. We sat on a couch looking at a scrapbook and talking. Girls would come up and talk to us, but again, none stood out. However, I still thought I should really like them especially because of my friend who was super cool.

#6 - I again felt so welcomed at this house. I had tons of girls come up to me and know my name and stuff about me. And I was really impressed by the different types of girls in the house. And how I could be having a conversation with 2 girls totally opposite from me and each other, but it just flowed.

So we went to the union and I ranked: 6, 5, 2, 4

Sunday I got my schedule for Pref: 2, 6. I was bummed b/c I got cut by 5, but I realized that I really did click with the girls in 2 a LOT more.

Pref (XO, AZD)

#2 - I got picked up by my dance team friend (not the complainer) and her friend. We go some food and went upstairs to a room. They gave me a letter they had written about how great I was, how much 2 meant to them, how I would be a great fit. Honestly, I was a bit freaked out by it. I didn't finish the letter b/c it made me uncomfortable. They also talked to me about how they knew I was probably going to 6 for my other pref, and it was a great house, too, but that the 2 girls loved me. Then we went down for a video which was cute, then we got in a circle and had a little ceremony. The sisters cried and I teared up a bit b/c I realized they had a great sisterhood, but I wanted that feeling with the girls of #6. I left thinking they were great girls, but that I couldn't wait to get to #6.

#6 - I was picked up by my dance team friends. They got me some food and talked about how happy they were I was there. How they wanted me to rush so bad and are glad I did. Then they did their ceremony and it was beautiful. One of my friends had a part and she looked right at me and said "You are the future of #6". It made me smile and I knew I wanted to be that. After the ceremony I talked to some other girls and we just laughed and joked and I felt at home.

I went to the union and put 6 first. I toyed with the idea of suiciding, but decided that the girls in 2 were great, and I'm sure I'd be happy there. It wasn't until about an hour before opening bids that I got nervous b/c I realized I ONLY wanted to be a 6!!! But when I opened my bid I had no more worries - there was my X and horseshoe and I ran over to my new home!!!

P.S Of the group of 5 I rushed with we had
2 - XO
2- AOPi
1- AXO

Phew, how's THAT for a memory!!!

Last edited by xo_kathy; 09-12-2003 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

oh i totally remember my feelings and thoughts, I just think it is funny to be able to read what I wrote then
Here is day 2 (still 1st rounds)

#4 I know these girls hate me and that is okay cause I can't stand them either. The girls that knew me couldn't even smile or say hi. THe girl leading me around I had never met before and I told her that I thought she was sweet and nice and so I couldn't beleive that she was in this house. She looked shocked and asked why I would say that and I told her the names of the girls in the house I knew and explained I am dating a sig ep and they are too, but they are so mean and rude to me at the house. She apologized but said she really liked meeting me and I told her it was okay, I already knew I was getting cut. She just looked at me like she felt really bad or ashamed or something. I still can't believe someone that nice is a sister here.

#5- So my older brother's best friend has a sister in this house. She is the VIce PResident, but I didn't meet her, instead I was paired with a girl that i had class with last year. The one that stood up in class on the first day and in her southern drawl told us all how she was "XYZ for life" because it was her life long aspiration [Side note, this girl quit her senior year]. Anyway, I met another girl and she was really nice. THis house has a rep for being the pretty stereotypic girls, but the girl I had class with told me she loved her sisters and her sorority and she thought I would enjoy meeting them more. They had a cute video, too. They didn't seem as stuck up and superficial as I had heard. I am glad that I didn't listen to what everyone says about them. I like this group.

#6- Okay, the girl that I met has the same major as me. She was really nice and I met about 4 girls here. They were all nice, but I know that Kristin is a member here and they are going to cut me. I don't think I could join anyway, they are SOOOOO EXPENSIVE!! They want $600 a semester and they want like $200 for initiation! I DONT THINK SO! I don't want to buy my friends!

#7- This house was supposed to be great and I actually thought I had a decent conversation with the 1st girl. The 2nd girl was really strange though- she asked me what piece of furniture would I be and why. I don't really know anyone in this house. There are a lot of girls, but I hardly ever see any of their letters on campus. Very strange. I don't know what to think about this group.

SO after first rounds my choices are #1, #3 and #5, I don't like #2 or # 4 at all!!! And # 7 was just- different. #6 is too expensive and I just didn't meet anyone that I really liked, but that isn't to say I disliked anyone there, either.

Facebook
Old 09-12-2003, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Ah, I see! How are the descriptions you had then fitting with your view of those houses now? You're so funny being so blunt with #4! I would have been stumped as your rusher!!!
Old 09-12-2003, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I was pretty brutal for a rushee. I knew no one that was greek that was a female!! Haha! I am surprised I got a bid from anyone, cause I was TOTALLY myself!
So for invites I got invited back to #1, #2, #3, and #5- I was dropped from Chi Omega, Alpha Omicron Pi and Phi Mu.

So here goes round 2, theme day-
#2- this house did a clueless skit! It was cute, but I still did not feel comfortable here. I talked to one girl before the skit and one after. They were both okay, but they really make me feel less interested in them. So the 2nd girl asked me if I was having fun and I said I guess, but honestly I don't feel comfortable and couldn't see myself as a member of them. The girl made chit chat, but I knew she knew what I was saying. I don't want to have to go back here again, and I think she knew I didn't want to be there to begin with. When I left all I got was "Bye"

#3- this house had what seemed to be an older skit but I LOVED the girls I talked to. Even more so than I had expected. The girl that had talked to me at the end of the last party came over and sat with me and another girl for liek 5 minutes and she was saying how excited she was that I was coming back! YEAH! There skit was called True Colors, and it seemed kind of dated, but it was sweeet, about a girl trying to find her home. It was funny because they had the Eta Theta Tau- it looked like HOT- and they made them seem like the stereotypical sorority and all I could think of was "Group #5". Is that bad? Anyway, the girls were so awesome, down to earth and I didn't want to leave. The president came and talked to me and told me she had heard all these wonderful things about me! I really really really feel like if I am going to be in a sorority this is where I should be. I REALLY hope they invite me back.

#5- You walk up to the gate and the girls are all crammed behind the two doors that open and start singing this song together, it kind of scared us all! Then we walk in and it is a HEE HAW theme. The girls sat on bails of hay, and we sat on chairs facing them, so they were a little below us so we had to look down at them- which felt akward. Anyway, the girl I talked to was telling me the girls from yesterday really liked meeting me. She asked me if I had any questions, and I only had a few- but she asked me this like 3 times! Then they had the skit. All the skit was about how pretty so and so was and how gorgeous they were! It annoyed me and only reinforced the stereotype about them. Afterwards the VP came over that is my brother's friends sister. SHe told me her brother had said look for a really pretty blonde, and I said that was sweet. She asked if I was having fun and I said that I was but that I had some concerns. She asked what I told her that I was a sophomore and I heard that they were just the pretty girls and then their skit mentioned a lot about that. She said that looks aren't everything and she hated that they had that rep. She looked and asked if I like "XYZ" and I said that I didn't dislike them, but I would feel weird crying around them if they were my sisters for fear of my mascara running. She was really sweet and understanding. If they invited me back I would go, but I really didn't feel comfortable there. I felt like they only asked me back because I am skinny and blonde.

#1- I loved this group yesterday and although I liked them today, I liked #3 better. This group is so totally put together and does awesome. I didn't click with the girl today very well,we only talked to one and it was her first rush on this side. She didn't have a lot to say and I felt like I had to keep the conversation going. THey had a great skit, GREASE! It was funny, but one of the girls got up in a white jumpsuit and you could see through it and see she was wearing green underwear! I was so embarressed for her!
This chapter is awesome and I have so many friends here. I really like what all they do on campus and how close they are, but I felt so much better at #3. She asked how I liked everything I told her it was awesome, that their skit was great and the girls were really nice. I would put them 2nd. I would be a member of this group but only if I couldn't be a #3!

So at the end of the day it went like this #3-tops, #1, #5 and then #2.
I DO NOT want to go back to #2!!! I would rather skip their party or drop out of rush! #5 is too superficial for me, I Think, and I would prefer to cry around someone if necessary. #1 is a great group but I would take a bid from #3 right now if I could!

Facebook
Old 09-12-2003, 04:37 PM

My pledge sisters referred to me as the "Rushee from Hell" the whole time we were all in college. They were right, unfortunately. After the first round of parties, I cut 9 out of the 12 sororities on my campus. Didn't even make an effort to get to know any of the women in the groups; just cut on basis of how popular the house was. I actually still cringe in embarassment when I think of that, many years later

I'm thankful that karma didn't come around and bite me on the butt and I ended up happy in the house I wanted. And I'm also thankful that the women I was so rude to during rush either didn't remember or were exceedingly kindhearted because I ended up being friendly with a number of them during my college years.

I think I could probably be used as a textbook example of how NOT to go through rush!
Old 09-12-2003, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I figured I would finish before i left from work since my computer is faster here:

I went the morning of prefs and got my invites- I was only invited back to group #3. My rho chi thought I would be so upset, but I was elated. I was cut from Kappa Delta, Alpha Delta Pi and Sigma Kappa.
I went back to my room on cloud 9 because the only place I felt at home was there.
So, I went to preference there. I love it. I talked to the girl that was the last girl I had met at the first party. She and I talked about my friend that had died, well actually, it was a mutual friend. She told me if I didn't join her chapter she was going to consider the rush a failure because she knew I was supposed to be there. By the end of the thing we were laughing and having fun (totally not pref!) but it was nice.

So at 2PM I went and signed my bid card-
I suicided...... <Waits for shivers and shrieks>
The next morning my rho chi called me downstairs and handed me a bid I opened it and it said
"The Sisters Of Alpha Gamma Delta sorority wish to invite you to join in their circle of sisterhood" and I screamed!
I went upstairs and got ready for bid day. The same girl was my sis mom and her best friend, my big sis! I was so elated!

Needless to say, it was sweet home Alpha Gamma for me!
Looking back I am amazed I got a bid! I knew nothing about rush! I talked about boys some, I talked about the sorority that I couldn't stand, and I talked about how unsorority I am.
I swear I still cannot believe I joined a sorority!

Facebook