GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,522
0 members and 1,522 guests
No Members online

Old 10-07-2011, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Colleges With The Most Students In Fraternities: US News

Not all too sure how US News and World report did this but a bit interesting:
Fraternal organizations are an iconic part of the college experience (Animal House anyone?) but certainly, some colleges have a more prevalent fraternal life than others.
US News has compiled a list of the colleges with the most students in fraternities. Clearwater Christian College topped the list with 100% of its student body participating in fraternity life. Wow!
Check out our slide show of the frattiest colleges in the nation. Then tell us, do you think 100% of the student body in a frat is a good idea? Weigh in below!
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...ington_and_Lee
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-07-2011, 10:02 AM

Just an fyi: Clearwater Christian College is a church of Christ affiliated school. They don't have fraternities & sororities per se, but similar groups called Social Clubs. Clearwater requires all of its students to join one of the social clubs for religious purposes. The clubs meet for bible study and fellowship. So, everytime CCC is called for 100% participation in Greek life, not so much.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 10-07-2011, 10:12 AM

I feel dumb, but I'll admit I've never even heard of a lot of those schools.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillarneyRose View Post
I feel dumb, but I'll admit I've never even heard of a lot of those schools.
Me too. I think a lot of us are expecting to hear the schools we get a lot here, like the SEC and Big 10 schools.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I think their interpretation of "fraternity" might be a little loose. I enjoyed the 10 best colleges you haven't heard of, but I had heard of 9 of them. One of them is the defacto Alpha chapter of Alpha Xi Delta, so I've known about that school for years. And I think the top 10 biggest party dorms is more than a little skewed. 5 of the top 10 party dorms in the entire US are in Washington DC? Seems a little unlikely that the list of 10 biggest party schools doesn't correlate with the top 10 party dorms in any way.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:43 AM

Didn't we have this article before and agree it was stupid and didn't know what it was talking about (CCC being the prime example)?

I'm sorry, but there is no way that YCP (York College) is 70% Greek, unless they're talking about another York College.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Just an fyi: Clearwater Christian College is a church of Christ affiliated school. They don't have fraternities & sororities per se, but similar groups called Social Clubs. Clearwater requires all of its students to join one of the social clubs for religious purposes. The clubs meet for bible study and fellowship. So, everytime CCC is called for 100% participation in Greek life, not so much.
Cosign.

If it's required, it really doesn't count. That's like a school having a PE requirement.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

and calling it the most athletes in the country.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Hijack: I recently applied to be an adjunct at a evangelical Christian University, and found out they won't consider non-Christians at all, for any positions. I had no idea you could still be living in the dark ages and have a legitimate accreditation.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Didn't we have this article before and agree it was stupid and didn't know what it was talking about (CCC being the prime example)?

I'm sorry, but there is no way that YCP (York College) is 70% Greek, unless they're talking about another York College.
There is another York College in Nebraska. It is also a church of Christ affiliated school. Same situation as Clearwater, but it is not required to join the social clubs. At most of the C of C affiliated schools, the social clubs are a big deal.

In the "Small Club Growing Again" thread in the recruitment section, BeeVee's school is a church of Christ affiliated college.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 10-07-2011, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Hijack: I recently applied to be an adjunct at a evangelical Christian University, and found out they won't consider non-Christians at all, for any positions. I had no idea you could still be living in the dark ages and have a legitimate accreditation.
As a Christian school, it is their right to do so, and I fully applaud them exercising that right.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
As a Christian school, it is their right to do so, and I fully applaud them exercising that right.
And I fully believe that an institution funded largely by the government should not be discriminating based on religion.

In a practical sense, though, are you really providing students with a well-rounded education if they are never exposed to anyone with a different background? It would be one thing if they were only awarding degrees in ministry-related majors, but this school has programs in things like business and criminal justice. If someone goes out into the business world assuming that everyone will have a similar mindset, it seems like they'd be, well, a bit naive.

(ETA: I want to be clear this is NOT true of all evangelical Christian schools. I know of others that absolutely hire non-Christians.)

Last edited by DeltaBetaBaby; 10-07-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
You call it the Dark Ages and they call it protecting what is theirs. Colleges and universities find ways to do that all of the time, especially private schools. Good for them.

And not all evangelical Christian Universities have those restrictions. But, if you work for one you have to live up to certain criteria. In other words, you can't think you are coming there to change stuff.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
And I fully believe that an institution funded largely by the government should not be discriminating based on religion.
Are they funded largely by the government?

Quote:
In a practical sense, though, are you really providing students with a well-rounded education if they are never exposed to anyone with a different background? It would be one thing if they were only awarding degrees in ministry-related majors, but this school has programs in things like business and criminal justice. If someone goes out into the business world assuming that everyone will have a similar mindset, it seems like they'd be, well, a bit naive.
"Well-rounded education" is subjective and relative. The students who attend that school are doing so for reasons beyond being competitive in the world market.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It's absolutely shameful, but for the most part, people who go to those over the top evangelical schools aren't trying to be in the real world. They're trying to avoid anyone who isn't just like they are and who doesn't believe the exact same way they believe.

Personally, I am grateful for the self-segregation. I have known some folks in my life who believe that they need to pray over every single decision they make: i.e., stopping in the middle of Wal-Mart (where else?) to decide whether or not to buy bubble bath. It's tiresome. I've never thought that God was too concerned one way or the other about bubbles in anyone's bath. I figure God's more of a take bubbles or leave them kind of fellow.