GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,457
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, ER_Pike
» Online Users: 2,644
0 members and 2,644 guests
No Members online

Old 08-12-2014, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Did anyone else not receive a full set of invitations? Mine is very concerned about her chances after only receiving about half.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-12-2014, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Trust me, she's not alone. She probably FEELS like she's the only loser at the school who doesn't have a full list of exactly and only the chapters she wanted to visit for round 2. It simply isn't true. It only takes one, and even if she only had 1 after round 1, she would still have potential to make a match by the end. Tell her to chin up and if it's at all possible, consider the gaps in her schedule to be a reprieve from the insanity. She can go to each party with a little more energy and focus than the girls who have 8 hours a day of nonstop happy happy. Cuz we all know, that's exhausting.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I almost think it would be better of they made bigger cuts in the first round. Like DubaSis said it would be easier to focus each sorority if they only has 7 or 8 to go to.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

And they can only get one bid
Old 08-12-2014, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsn10s View Post
Did anyone else not receive a full set of invitations? Mine is very concerned about her chances after only receiving about half.
My daughter got invitations to 6 of the 12 slots. 4 today and 2 tomorrow.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I understand all of that, but was there just a really large number cut after the first round or not. Mine is from out of state and very quiet, but terrific in the grades and activities, so just curious about her chances.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

My darling Debbie had large cuts after Round 1 but by Pref had the max # of choices. The entire process was emotionally draining combined with being out of state and homesick. While her ego and self-confidence may have loved to have had more choices initially, I think looking back that she would have been a basket case at the end if she'd had close to the max choices each round. She felt some angst watching girls go because "everybody has more than me" was the tale of woe but at the end she had the max of 3 and she survived.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

From the recruitment pages of previous years, there have been girls who got cut heavily the first round but still went to 3 pref parties and there have been girls who have had a full schedule after first round but did not get invited to any pref parties. In my uneducated opinion, it doesn't seem to matter.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAauburnmama View Post
I almost think it would be better of they made bigger cuts in the first round. Like DubaSis said it would be easier to focus each sorority if they only has 7 or 8 to go to.
No NPC group makes a perfect impression with absolutely every PNM in the first recruitment round.

Auburn's second round of 12 max invites mean both PNMs and NPC women gain the opportunity to make better-informed decisions regarding membership.

Let us know if your DD changes her mind about her "bottom six" groups after second round.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Catsn10s, If she is very quiet at the parties it could be misinterpreted that she is not interested in the sorority member, the sorority, and/or the topic of conversation. She needs to be good on paper and in person. Plenty of girls from out of state get bids at Auburn so don't worry about your daughter being penalized for being from out of state. If she can be more outgoing that will probably work in her favor.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 08-12-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter is a PNM this year, and she attended 12 Philanthropy parties. Four of the twelve invites were from houses she had listed in her "bottom 5" after the IWT round. Not surprisingly, two of those four are now among her favorites. Anxious but eager to see the list she hopefully will get in the morning. She is a legacy, but she understands she needs to find her own best fit. I'm quietly thrilled, however, that my house is high on her list for now!

Good luck to all.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Catsn10s, If she is very quiet at the parties it could be misinterpreted that she is not interested in the sorority member, the sorority, and/or the topic of conversation. She needs to be good on paper and in person. Plenty of girls from out of state get bids at Auburn so don't worry about your daughter being penalized for being from out of state. If she can be more outgoing that will probably work in her favor.
Yes.

I don't think people realize just how much "quiet" can be detrimental to PNMs in formal recruitment. It's an atmosphere that does not particularly favor introverted folk.

They have like 20-25 minutes per party or so in the beginning. That's just 20 minutes to make an impression.

This is especially critical in situations where PNMs don't have the advantages of connections that the in-state women might have (through camps, cheer, dance, living in the same neighborhood, etc.) You're sort of a "wildcard" and you have a limited amount of time to leave an impression that makes a member say "I don't really know her, but I want to see her again."

If you're not a "small talk" person, those first rounds are hard. Unfortunately, the biggest cuts happen AFTER those rounds. The introvert peeps are not even warmed up yet!

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburnmom23 View Post
My daughter is a PNM this year, and she attended 12 Philanthropy parties. Four of the twelve invites were from houses she had listed in her "bottom 5" after the IWT round. Not surprisingly, two of those four are now among her favorites. Anxious but eager to see the list she hopefully will get in the morning. She is a legacy, but she understands she needs to find her own best fit. I'm quietly thrilled, however, that my house is high on her list for now!

Good luck to all.
Just the other day - a friend told me about her DD had been disappointed in her legacy chapter, but went back and 2nd round liked it more, until after prefs she said she couldn't imagine being anywhere else. Dont forget girls in house get nervous too
Old 08-14-2014, 04:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Any other Moms of PNMS having trouble sleeping? I don't seem to make it past 4AM before my mind starts the what ifs and OMGs!
Old 08-14-2014, 09:05 AM
GreekChat Member

It's very difficult to sleep! It's also difficult to focus at work during the day, which is a bit unfortunate. I didn't anticipate how emotionally consuming this week would be!