GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,238
0 members and 1,238 guests
No Members online

Old 05-29-2010, 06:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to corporalsc
Should a guy like me pledge a fraternity?

I'm kinda shy but I can be very funny and talkative when I'm relaxed and feel like a connection with who I'm chatting with. So I think I have potential but it will take time to develop my social skills. So should I join a frat if I'm like this? And btw, if you go to SJSU, do u have a suggestions on which frat is best to join?
Old 05-29-2010, 07:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, if you want to join, then you're probably the right type of guy. It takes all kinds of guys to join/run a fraternity. It's cool to be the quiet guy.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

I believe there's a place in Greek Life for (almost) everyone, so it can't hurt going through rush. Additionally, I think a lot of guys benefit from fraternity membership by becoming more confident, social, and outgoing.

No one can tell you about reputations or about which fraternity is best for you.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

FWIW...My cousin's son joined a fraternity, He is a very nice guy but very shy. Since joining, he became recruitment chair and is now president. His grandmother WAS very anti-Greek but knows what it did for his confidence and well-being. Everyone agrees it was a very positive experience.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
I believe there's a place in Greek Life for (almost) everyone, so it can't hurt going through rush. Additionally, I think a lot of guys benefit from fraternity membership by becoming more confident, social, and outgoing.

No one can tell you about reputations or about which fraternity is best for you.
Gusteau is spot on. I think you will be amazed by the diversity of the fraternity chapters on your campus (and this is true for all campuses).

Just do yourself a favor and follow your heart. While "testimonials" may seen beneficial, they ignore the type of person YOU are. When you find your perfect fit, you will know.

You may also want to check out this page, which covers some developmental benefits of going greek.
Quote:
The data shows a significant spike in several key areas of development. This spike occurs when individuals first join the fraternity, and continues to build cumulatively throughout their time in college.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

There is a place for almost everyone in the greek community, you just have to be open to all of the Fraternities on your campus and just be yourself.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Yeah i would recommend that you look at each house at SJSU, But overall the best advice would be to be open, be yourself and join a IFC fraternity (some people get touchy about the term frat including me, you may not want to use that term during rush).

http://www.sjsu.edu/getinvolved/fasl.../chapter_info/

Last edited by SDer; 06-09-2010 at 12:47 AM.