GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,520
1 members and 1,519 guests
gatordeltapgh
Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Biggest Rush Mistakes at a fratty institution

You see it all the time, the clueless kid during rush week. I'm writing this in hopes that somebody will read this and act accordingly during their rush. Obviously this only applies to "fratty" institutions, basically colleges south of Lexington and north of Orlando. A lot of people on this board have problems with the way things are at these places, so do us both a favor and don't post in this thread, you will be ignored.

Here's the list, feel free to add on or argue against these.

1.) Wearing jean shorts (SECDomination probably sees a lot of these ). You will not get a bid... jean shorts were [marginally] cool about 10 years ago, now they are trashy and redneck.
2.) Being overly cocky, nobody wants a pledge who thinks that they are too good to perform menial tasks, see #7
3.) Being Guido (tons of hair gel (blowout), shaved chest, obvious signs of steroid use like back acne, shirt 2 sizes too small, fake tan, diamond earrings, tribal tattoo). If this is who you are then that's fine, every college has one fraternity that these guys will feel right at home in.
4.) Dressing like a high schooler. Be sure to dress for the occasion, wear some nice khakis and a collared shirt but don't show up in a suit. Of course, you should never wear anything from the three a's (Abercrombie, American Eagle, Aeropostale). Leave the hairgel at home kids, if your hair doesn't look good without a ton of gel then wear a conservative hat, backwards. Also, no tennis shoes, even with shorts. Brown Sperrys are the best option here although Rainbows are a solid alternative.
5.) Getting drunktaneous at rush events. Fraternities do not want people with no self control, it becomes a huge risk to pledge someone who can't control themselves.
6.) Do not hook up with girls at rush events unless they are of the highest quality and you have checked to make sure that they are not an active's girlfriend or even an active's potential girlfriend. Nothing is worse than pissing off a brother or receiving the nickname "free willy" in the first week of pledgeship.
7.) Trying too hard. You do not need to convince the brothers that you are the coolest person ever and they should initiate you on the spot. Be yourself and if you are a fit in that particular organization then you will receive a bid. Have faith in the fraternity, they have been doing this way longer than you.
8.) Name dropping. Goes in line with trying too hard. If you are well connected and friends with a lot of the actives then the brothers will tell the people on bid team this, you don't need to mention it.
9.) Spending less than 45 minutes at a given house. If you want a bid then you have to show the brothers that you're serious. Spend time at the house getting to know people, even if you don't pledge there you can make connections that last for a while. (I get free pizza because of somebody I met in another fraternity during rush, we really hit it off). Meet every brother that you can, the more, the better.

Tips to impress, now that you know what to avoid doing, here are a few pointers that may get you bonus points.
1.) Bring attractive girls with you. This is the absolute best way to get attention and respect from the actives. Find the best looking girls that you know from high school or whatever and bring them with you when you rush.
2.) Go to the post-rush events (if they have them) AND show that you are socially adept. The most important quality in pledges (and arguably in life) is the ability to socialize with everyone (brothers, girls, alumni, parents, etc.)
3.) Have a lot of knowledge and the ability to carry on conversations about any of the following: Golf, Fishing, Hunting, Whiskey, College Football and Sailing. A knowledge of all of these is not a requirement, but it helps show that you are going to be able to take part in fratty activities with the aptitude of someone much older and wiser.
4.) Use manners. If you are offered food, take it. Hold the door for women and don't swear with any women in earshot, basic things that your mother has been teaching you since you were little.

Last edited by PhiGam; 12-28-2007 at 12:09 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-27-2007, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Whew! I have tears! Thanks for that.

Carry on...
Old 12-27-2007, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiGam View Post
3.) Being Guido (tons of hair gel (blowout), shaved chest, obvious signs of steroid use like back acne, shirt 2 sizes too small, fake tan, diamond earrings, tribal tattoo).
Regardless of whether you have back acne (which isn't necessarily indicative of steroid use), you probably shouldn't be going shirtless at a rush party anyway.

Quote:
Tips to impress, now that you know what to avoid doing, here are a few pointers that may get you bonus points.
1.) Bring attractive girls with you. This is the absolute best way to get attention and respect from the actives. Find the best looking girls that you know from high school or whatever and bring them with you when you rush.
Fratty or not, often there will be "official" rush parties with just the brothers and rushees, and then there will be unofficial rush parties with girls and booze. This will of course, vary from school to school.

Last edited by violetpretty; 12-27-2007 at 06:00 PM. Reason: wording
Old 12-27-2007, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Whew! I have tears! Thanks for that.

Carry on...
The funniest part is that he's dead serious.

I think I will make this my official "In Before The Lock" post.

Best way to ruin your thread and drag it off topic? Tell certain people not to post.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
The funniest part is that he's dead serious.
I know! That's why I'm cryin'.
Quote:
Best way to ruin your thread and drag it off topic? Tell certain people not to post.
'xactly.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Like a Yankee like myself.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

2.) Go to the post-rush events (if they have them) AND show that you are socially adept. The most important quality in pledges (and arguably in life) is the ability to socialize with everyone (brothers, girls, alumni, parents, etc.)
3.) Have a lot of knowledge and the ability to carry on conversations about any of the following: Golf, Fishing, Hunting, Whiskey, College Football and Sailing. A knowledge of all of these is not a requirement, but it helps show that you are going to be able to take part in fratty activities with the aptitude of someone much older and wiser.

OH MY GOD. I just spit out my entire drink.

Just what we needed, "Dear Abby the clueless Fratty"

This comes from a guy who says, "marginally cool". refers to people as "trashy rednecks", saying someone else could be, "cocky", etc., etc., etc.

He thinks that he has graced the earth, which I find really funny based on the minimal research that I've done on him and his chapter.

Fratty, you need to grow up, and by the way, you are the one that is "trying too hard". I think you are the one who is trying to impress everyone. Or, at least think you are impressing everyone.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Ironically enough, even though I don't agree with 99.9% of his posts, I have no problem with this post. Some things are a bit out there for me, but I can definitely agree with not making a drunken fool out of yourself or trying to hard. I think that applies no matter where you are rushing. As for what to wear or what to talk about- if that's what his fraternity looks for in a potential new member, he's just calling it how he sees it. How is this any different from GC'ers advising girls rushing at SEC schools to have recs, wear Lilly or something similar, and avoid talking about the 4 B's?

Last edited by cuteASAbug; 12-27-2007 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteASAbug View Post
How is this any different from GC'ers advising girls rushing at SEC schools to have recs, wear Lilly or something similar, and avoid talking about the 4 B's?
For me, it's the intention behind it. Usually the GC women wait until someone says "I'm rushing at LSU, what do I do?" before going into the SEC spiel.

PhiGam was just attempting to prove his Frattiness. Which contridicts Fratty, because if he was truely Fratastic, he wouldn't have to announce that he was Frattissimo, people would just know. Or, something like that. Fratty McFrat-Frat.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
For me, it's the intention behind it. Usually the GC women wait until someone says "I'm rushing at LSU, what do I do?" before going into the SEC spiel.

PhiGam was just attempting to prove his Frattiness. Which contridicts Fratty, because if he was truely Fratastic, he wouldn't have to announce that he was Frattissimo, people would just know. Or, something like that. Fratty McFrat-Frat.
Yes but girls tend to share more/ask for help more than guys. How many guys actually come on here and say- "I'm rushing at Bama and need help?"
Old 12-27-2007, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

When I grow up, I want to have your command of the Fratty dialect.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
How many guys actually come on here?
Better question.

TEH Estrogen seems to Rule TEH GCz.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah it's definitely a little bit of both. He asserts his frattiness in case some GCers didn't already know, but there is some legitimately good advice in his OP.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:24 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Yes but girls tend to share more/ask for help more than guys. How many guys actually come on here and say- "I'm rushing at Bama and need help?"
samjones?
Old 12-27-2007, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
samjones?
I had to do a search to remind myself who he was. It was worth it. Thank you.
Closed Thread