GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,839
0 members and 1,839 guests
No Members online

Old 05-07-2010, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Little Sister Basket IDEAS?

Hey guys so we have a big/little week of gifts before our new girls find out who their big sisters are and I was wondering what are some cute themes for Little Baskets? Or just something you absolutely loved getting or giving

Sig Delt Love & Mine
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-07-2010, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig delt girl View Post
Hey guys so we have a big/little week of gifts before our new girls find out who their big sisters are and I was wondering what are some cute themes for Little Baskets? Or just something you absolutely loved getting or giving

Sig Delt Love & Mine
What kind of stuff does she like?

Old 05-07-2010, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

What did your big get for you that you absolutely loved? That's a good place to start.

One of the things my big put together for me was a craft box, which came in really handy later for scrapbooking and making paddles. I loved it because she put a lot of things in it that I didn't have and some of those things had to do with my interests. For example, some of the scrapbooking stuff I got was music and baseball themed, because those are two of my favorite things.

Good luck! I'm sure whatever you do, your little will love it!

Old 05-07-2010, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

One of my favorite things I did were some mirrors. I bought a string of glass pearls from Michael's, as well as a scalloped edge mirror. I bought some heavy duty glue, and I glued the string of pearls along the edge of the mirror. The finished product was really beautiful, and ultimately useful!

I'm also a big fan of tote bags, but I love my AXO tote bags a lot. I found this tutorial earlier today for stenciling on it. Tutorial

I painted bulletin boards for my littles as well- just a cute design on a very useful item.

"Together, Let Us Seek the Heights"

I <3 My KΣ
Old 05-07-2010, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Depending on what kind of stuff she likes, you can tailor stuff to that. If she works out, you can get a lettered or embroidered gym bag (those small ones that look like backpacks). If she's a reader, a tote bag. Anything that she can use on a regular basis for school (I like the bulletin board idea!) or play (embroidered baseball hat). Satin pillowcases or sleep masks in your colors or that have your letters are nice gifts (I love my satin pillowcase, it keeps my hair from snarling).

If she's into jewelry, decorate a wooden box (get them at Michaels) with paint, colored rocks, etc., or you can make a beaded bracelet (Michaels teaches you how to do this or go to a bead store where they let you use tools for free). Get some nail polish in your colors (if they're bright, she can do her toes!). If you are literally talking about a basket, get some of her favorite candy (or candy in your colors) and toss it around the other stuff to color it up. Get a flower or two, tie a ribbon around it, and stick it in there as well (she can dry it upside down for decoration if she's into that).

I think that what makes it special is that you took the time to think about HER. It doesn't have to be expensive and you don't have to spend hours and hours on it. Just make it special to her.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smile_Awhile View Post
I'm also a big fan of tote bags, but I love my AXO tote bags a lot. I found this tutorial earlier today for stenciling on it. Tutorial
That's what my big filled for me for initiation. I used my tote faithfully to the point I wore a hole in it that had to be patched. The fabric matched the sweatshirt she bought me. She filled it up with a lot of ASA stuff, including candles, cups, pins, etc. One thing I did for my littles was create a journal with all of the family traditions to be passed down. For example, it was our tradition to give our little one of those guardian angel pins the night before the exam. We also made note cards to study for the exam. Anything can be decorated with stickers and paint...of course, I'm from the puffy paint era. A nice poem would be nice as well.

I really like the idea of craft supplies too. Every sorority woman needs those few essentials.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Also, a pin box. One of the only useful gifts my big gave me, and I LOVE it.

"Together, Let Us Seek the Heights"

I <3 My KΣ
Old 05-08-2010, 01:12 AM
Super Moderator

I want to give the Pin Box a BIG endorsement! Especially if it's one of the smaller ones, that you can put in a pocket. I got one from my big as a freshman, and still have it. I gave one to my littles, and any time I've given away a pin, it was in a pin box.

In my pin box, I still have my pin, my pledge pin, my pledge ribbons, a black ribbon from when a sister died, and have added my 25 year pin. It's my ADPi life in a small box!
Old 05-08-2010, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
I want to give the Pin Box a BIG endorsement! Especially if it's one of the smaller ones, that you can put in a pocket. I got one from my big as a freshman, and still have it. I gave one to my littles, and any time I've given away a pin, it was in a pin box.

In my pin box, I still have my pin, my pledge pin, my pledge ribbons, a black ribbon from when a sister died, and have added my 25 year pin. It's my ADPi life in a small box!
That's really sweet, honey! We didn't do that, and I didn't get an AOII pin box until I became AOII Life Loyal. Now I have all my AOII badges in the same place so they don't get lost!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 06-01-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana72 View Post
If that's the case, why not allow the young kids do it on their own? Of course, you are the one oblige to provide ribbon, glue etc, that they will be needed to create a basket. It was fun after all, and will also create the awareness and creativity of the young kids.
Hey Spametta, there are no "young kids" involved. Get a clue.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

For my little, I just made everything in her favorite colors or in school colors so it all matched. If you are any good at painting, you can get picture frames or giant wood letters at Michaels and paint those. They turn out really cute. I also decorated a jar with a monogram and a ribbon and put her favorite candy in it. Embroidered blankets are a big hit as well as engraved silver pin boxes.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

One of the popular ones in our big little week is Cooler day. We make a cooler with the littles name, pledge class, beach theme quotes on it.. and things like that. In the cooler there are little AXiD trinkets like picture frames, always a tshirt, and the little's favorite food and drink. It's really popular.

My favorite was just the Alpha Xi Delta basket. That's the day we get our first letter shirt from our big, there are at least 5 axid things in there (pic frames, embroidered blanket, tote bag, shirt, anything axid), balloons, the little's fav. movie.. etc.

I made a ton of crafted pic frames for my little last semester and she said she loved them. I suggest going to the dollar tree or a dollar store and just finding cute things to craft. I found a lot of useful things like water bottles, jars, notebooks.. and just decorated them with axid all over them.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Our basics (the things everyone gave) were badge boxes, stools/trays decorated by the sis-mom, picture frames, car tags, and decorated family trees. Other popular gifts have been fleece blankets with letters and names embroidered (and you can get these cheap from Wal-Mart, then find a local store that embroiders to save money), jerseys of course, and tote bags with letters. My favorite were the badge boxes...most people bought cheap wooden boxes at Michael's and decorated them with paint, paint pens, and then glue-gunned stuff like pearls on. The stools/trays we bought at Wal-Mart and then decorated the same way, and the family trees ranged from picture frames with multiple spaces to trees written onto actual wood. We also decorated at least three signs for them. A lot of girls, especially seniors, would give away old t-shirts (I did that several times). We also decorated cork boards to make bulletin boards for girls' doors and painted wine glasses (note: unless you use products that SAY they are ok to consume, specify that these are for display only...or put a candle in them to make them fancy candle holders).

The things that were asked for the most were: tote bags, jerseys, car tags/stickers, lavaliers (these aren't expensive either, especially if you just buy the charm and not the chain), and t-shirts. Think usable and cute combined.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 06-30-2010, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I haven't gotten a little yet, but there were a couple of things I loved from my big. Of course the pillowcase and slippers were super cute, but my favorite thing was a You're the best Little gift set from Not Soap, Radio, this bath and beauty company. It was super cute and useful because it had lotion and lip gloss that tasted so good. I liked it because it was different from all the same stuff we got on Bid Day and that all of us accumulate through the years like the picture frames. You should check out their website!