GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,106
2 members and 1,104 guests
Sarak24034, zsamulpitt5293
View Poll Results: What positions in a GLOs HQ staff should be potentially fillable by non-members?
None 1 11.11%
A support position such as receptionist or janitor 8 88.89%
A member-development position such as leadership consultant 3 33.33%
A sensitive position such as Archivist or Historian 2 22.22%
A senior - but not publicly-facing position - such as CFO 7 77.78%
A senior - but publicly-facing position - such as communications director 2 22.22%
The chief executive office (e.g. executive director) 3 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2020, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

What professional positions in a GLOs HQ are appropriate to be held by non-members?

What are your feelings about non-members holding professional positions within your GLOs secretariat (or HQ staff)? For example:
  1. A non-member holding a support position such as receptionist or janitor.
  2. A non-member holding a member-development position such as leadership consultant.
  3. A non-member holding a sensitive position such as Archivist or Historian.
  4. A non-member holding a senior - but not publicly-facing position - such as CFO.
  5. A non-member holding a senior - but publicly-facing position - such as communications director.
  6. A non-member holding the most senior position (e.g. executive director).
Should some positions be restricted to current members? Should current members be preferentially recruited to fill unrestricted positions?

For the record, I'm fine with non-members filling #1 and #4, but with hiring preferences for current members when available.

Last edited by Ronaldo9; 10-10-2020 at 04:51 PM. Reason: misspelling item 2
Old 10-10-2020, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

FYI, I believe - and maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong - that Sigma Chi's current Archivist has exceptional educational and professional pedigree in archives management but was not a Sigma Chi; he was initiated after he was hired (as a post-graduate, in other words) to allow him to fill the position.
Old 10-10-2020, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Why do you care?
Old 10-10-2020, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
Why do you care?
Probably to cover their tracks. so why not ask this random question.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
Why do you care?
Sociological interest. Thanks for asking!
Old 10-11-2020, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthen View Post
Probably to cover their tracks. so why not ask this random question.
Trying to build up his comments so people stop calling him a newbie troll too.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Always hire the best person for the job regardless of affiliation. A lot of groups would benefit from some diversity in executive leadership. Our High Council will always be composed of members. Executive officers work for the organization.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 10-11-2020, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Always hire the best person for the job regardless of affiliation. A lot of groups would benefit from some diversity in executive leadership. Our High Council will always be composed of members. Executive officers work for the organization.
I think that's a reasonable position. My reluctance is that I know some terminal officials in some GLOs have authority to issue emergency suspensions of chapters (which are subject to later ratification of course). I'd be a bit hesitant to see a non member imbued with that authority.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo9 View Post
I think that's a reasonable position. My reluctance is that I know some terminal officials in some GLOs have authority to issue emergency suspensions of chapters (which are subject to later ratification of course). I'd be a bit hesitant to see a non member imbued with that authority.
Only our Council can do that. Each GLO can decide what is best for them.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I can read the poll, but not all the comments, so I'll comment based on the poll. The definition of, and duties required by, Leadership Consultants in some NPC groups doesn't lead to having those positions filled by anyone other than initiated member(s) of the NPC group that hires them. But of course, many members of GC already knew that.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo9 View Post
FYI, I believe - and maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong - that Sigma Chi's current Archivist has exceptional educational and professional pedigree in archives management but was not a Sigma Chi; he was initiated after he was hired (as a post-graduate, in other words) to allow him to fill the position.
The main Sigma Chi archivist handles only the public Sigma Chi information that is included in our museum that is open to the public. It has nothing to do with our Ritual which is our only private information.

If you are referring to the person I think you are, I was actually present at his initiation. It was held at our undergraduate Workshop so that the undergraduates could see a "perfect" Ritual and Initiation.

The brother initiated had worked for HQ, and our HQ staff and Executive team felt that he lived up to the traits and ideals of Sigma Chi. I can guarantee you that his initiation had nothing to do with allowing him "to fill the position".

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 10-11-2020, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
I can read the poll, but not all the comments, so I'll comment based on the poll. The definition of, and duties required by, Leadership Consultants in some NPC groups doesn't lead to having those positions filled by anyone other than initiated member(s) of the NPC group that hires them. But of course, many members of GC already knew that.
Yes I think it would be very odd to have a non member LC.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
The main Sigma Chi archivist handles only the public Sigma Chi information that is included in our museum that is open to the public. It has nothing to do with our Ritual which is our only private information.

If you are referring to the person I think you are, I was actually present at his initiation. It was held at our undergraduate Workshop so that the undergraduates could see a "perfect" Ritual and Initiation.

The brother initiated had worked for HQ at our HQ staff and Executive team felt that he lived up to the traits and ideals of Sigma Chi. I can guarantee you that his initiation had nothing to do with allowing him "to fill the position".
Great info and thanks for the clarification!