GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,827
4 members and 1,823 guests
bbobbyusady4719, LaneSig, Sciencewoman

Old 10-14-2002, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Starting an alumnae association

I am trying to start a DPhiE Alumnae Association for the Seattle metro area.

National HQ recently sent me some mailing address labels, as well as a list. I'm not really sure where to get started...I am considering contacting the women with email addresses first.

If you started an association, how did you go about doing it?

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2002, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
I would definitely start with an e-mail contact and see what % response rate you get. Average is about 10%. If you get more, that's awesome.

Then..I would plan a kick-off/organizational event. Send out postcards (cheaper that way) and maybe have a national/regional officer come speak to the group. Find out what kind of AA folks want - social based, philanthropy based, etc. Find out who is interested in serving on Exec and/or Committees. Get help from your AA Advisor to select the best initial candidates for President, etc. You'll also need to set up bylaws, a bank account, etc.

Hopefully your HQ can front you some money for the initial mailing. Be sure to get a computer list of the names that are on the labels so that you can get a database going - to help with future mailings and creation of a roster.

I have a 4 on a page postcard template I can send you if you like. Just print out one copy, take it to Kinko's and have it run on cardstock then cut in 4. Mails for 21 cents a pieces.

Good luck!

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 10-14-2002, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Curious, how much does it cost for Kinko's? I didn't look really hard but it seemed kind of expensive. In the past I had bought some cardstock, but it was kinda thick (gee, lol ) and wouldn't go through my older printer..haven't tried it on the HP940 or somethingorother.

Good luck on starting and keeping the alumnae association. Unfortunately, it is hard to start one and/or keep it going these days with all the other organizations/events vying for their time. :

Lynn
Old 10-14-2002, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Lynn,

Usually Kinko's and Office Depot are around 7 cents per copy. Remember, though, if you need 100 postcards, that's only 25 copies, not very much $$ at all.

Some places charge for cuts, some will give you 1-2 cuts free. When in doubt, ask!

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 10-14-2002, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll keep that in mind! I might have been reading the sign wrong.

As for cuts, I have scissors, lol. And access to a cutting board thingie.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:09 AM

DPhiEAngel, it looks like we'll be going through a similar experience as we're ready to reorganize the AOII Columbus Alumnae chapter here. Check your PM box, because I'll be sending you one ASAP!

Barbara, would you please e-mail me a copy of your postcard template--trickbabe@yahoo.com. I'd love a way to save money on the big mailings and it sounds like postcards are a great idea. Thanks for the tip about physically asking what the potential members want in an alumnae chapter. It's so logical but can be easily overlooked in the excitement of the planning.

As for Kinkos, if you have their store's version of a "rewards" card, sometimes they mail out coupons for free black and white copies. When I did the annual mailing for our local chapter's
Corporation Board we were able to get 250 B&W copies for free! When you're mailing hundreds of letters, things like that can really help the budget. Postage is such a huge expense these days, anywhere else you can save $$$ is a big help.

You may want to check into Evite http://www.evite.com/ if you do a mailing to those sisters with email addresses. I also did an evite for the annual Corporation Meeting and heard from about 10 sisters we hadn't heard back from previously.

Final suggestion, consider setting up an email just for your alumnae association at yahoo, hotmail or wherever That way your personal inbox won't be clogged (and hopefully stay spam-free!) and it's easier to monitor alumnae mail. My former alumnae chapter has set up an email listserv and there are other alumnae chapters who have private yahoo groups for their members. The easier it is to find you, the more participation you can hopefully get!

Good luck DPhiEAngel! Here's hoping that we both have great success in getting our area alumnae active and involved.

Fraternally,
Christin
Old 10-16-2002, 03:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Ooooh, I am trying to get an alumnae chapter going here in my hometown. I have no idea where to start. There are about 50 women in my area, 3 of which I have e-mail addresses for. I have mailing addresses for each, but I'm in limbo right now, not knowing where to start. I can mail a letter to each alum in the area, but to me that isn't very personal. I have phone numbers for almost everyone, but I don't know about calling 50 ladies. I'm stuck! I think calling is the best option for now, but then I think, "What time should I call? Afternoon? Early evening?" Ahhh, I'm already going bananas and I haven't even started yet!
Old 10-16-2002, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SATX*APhi
Ooooh, I am trying to get an alumnae chapter going here in my hometown. I have no idea where to start. There are about 50 women in my area, 3 of which I have e-mail addresses for. I have mailing addresses for each, but I'm in limbo right now, not knowing where to start. I can mail a letter to each alum in the area, but to me that isn't very personal. I have phone numbers for almost everyone, but I don't know about calling 50 ladies. I'm stuck! I think calling is the best option for now, but then I think, "What time should I call? Afternoon? Early evening?" Ahhh, I'm already going bananas and I haven't even started yet!
Your nationals should be able to provide you with mailing labels and an electronic copy of the list to create more labels. They may also have more than 3 e-mail addresses.

I would plan a simple organizational meeting at a local restaurant or an office that has a large conference room and go from there. Read my suggestions above (re: postcards, etc.).

Barb
Old 10-16-2002, 08:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DPhiE Danielle
Wink

You may want to call the International Headquarters. They can provide you with a list & mailing labels for Alumnae who reside in the zip codes you specify. You also may be able to get some dollars from the Alumnae Development team to put toward start up cost. Go to www.dphie.org ....there is info there.
Old 10-16-2002, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

HA, remind you of being a new member?

Only way to do it is to wade in and do!

Once you find a few, then it will grow, maybe slowly but still grow.

I started with 10 and now have over 200 and am not done yet.

At least I am getting some who e-m me when they are changing something.

Good Luck In Your endevor

Just go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LX Z # 1
Alumni