GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,827
4 members and 1,823 guests
bbobbyusady4719, LaneSig, Sciencewoman

Old 07-07-2004, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sahara27
It's the worst day ever.

I moved halfway across the country for my new great job, and it hasn't even been a month and they laid me off due to cutbacks. I can't believe it. I'm getting married in exactly a month and now I'm unemployed in a place I don't know anything about! (btw, the fiance is back at home, and was going to move down once we got married next month). I'm all alone! What to do?!?!
Old 07-07-2004, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I have no advice except to say that I am very sorry.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:37 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry too. Look to see maybe you can join an Alumnae Association or All-Greek Alum Association where you can make new friends and network. You can usually find these groups on line or maybe even start one in your (ugh) new free time!!!
Old 07-08-2004, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

Wow. Very, VERY unfair of them to do that to you. Hopefully they gave a decent severance package. All I could tell you is get back on monster.com and see what you can find.

Good luck.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-08-2004, 07:50 AM
GreekChat Member

what field are you working in?
Old 07-08-2004, 08:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for all your encouragement guys! I really didn't get much from them -- just payment til next week. Ugh.
I'm a communication major, so I was working in marketing and public relations... but how I'm feeling right now, I'd be willing to try anything (except flipping burgers). Thanks again!
Old 07-08-2004, 08:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Honey, the first thing you need to do is march your happy ass on down to the unemployment agency and start collecting. I am NOT a big welfare advocate and I hate most public assitance type things, but if it's there use it! You are obviously not just a bum who won't work and employers pay into this so use it. You only worked there for a month so you may not get much, but it may help some.

second-you know that you can right off your moving expenses on your taxes next year. Keep that in mind for the long term.

Have you ever waited tables? Fast money. Might be something to look into in the short term to help you not be so stressed out.

Have you ever sold your plasma or blood? Once again, good fast money if you can stand a needle twice a week.

Start selling your clothes on ebay!

Call Fianancial Aid and get a forbearance on that student loan. That will free up some cash for 6 months.

Good Luck!!!!!
Old 07-08-2004, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

So sorry to hear what happened That is definitely not cool at all!

Diamond Delta - those are some great tips!
Old 07-08-2004, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Word of advice: don't sign anything until you have a lawyer look at it. Did you sign any type of employment contract with the company? The more I think about this, the more ridiculous it is that this country hired you for a job that didn't last a month. I don't know what your legal recourse is, but when my friends have been downsized they have received some sort of compensation for their trouble. Maybe the company with compensate you for your expenses of your move.

Unemployment isn't welfare. (Not that I have a problem with welfare.) Many people have received unemployment in the last few years with the economy the way it is. There is no shame in that. I agree about calling financial aid about your student loans.

Good luck finding a new job.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

That really sucks. Im sorry to hear that. Man its like you ask people will my job be secure because I dont want to move and then it not be and they are like its fine, its fine, then crap like that happens. Im very sorry to hear that. Def take Diamond Deltas advice. Forbearance on any loans frees a lot of money. Think about moving back. I know itll cost money, but if you ask your parents for the money maybe they can help you with moving costs and then you can be back with your family and fiancee.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow, thanks for all the advice. I'm actually feeling a lot better today -- everyone does want me to come back home, and we have our attorney looking over our housing lease right now to see if there's any (cheap) way to get out of it. My fiance and I lived in a guest house of his parents' home before all this, and they've said it's perfectly fine for us to live there until we get back on our feet. I just graduated in May, so my loans won't be starting until December, so that's a relief! Things should be well and good by then.
I'm just still in a state of shock. I mean, I was a good student all through school and I was working so hard there. It was definitely out of the blue. But it's teaching me that I can handle nearly anything now!
Hopefully by the weekend we'll know how things are going to work out -- if I am gong to stay here, I am marching right out there and getting a new job. There's no reason to just sit here and sulk! Thanks for all the advice and encouragement, you're all so wonderful!
Old 07-08-2004, 05:26 PM

I'm so sorry you're going through this.

Your local unemployment office (whether you stay where you are or move home) may be able to connect you with some resources (networking meetings, job fairs, etc) in addition to unemployment compensation.

Good luck finding a new job, and good luck with the rest of your wedding planning!
Old 07-08-2004, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

It's no fun when it happens. Definitely follow up with the unemployement office as soon as possible. aephi alum is right about there being access to job leads there. Call temp agencies to see if you can line something up.

As for you housing if you're looking to leave town, put an ad in the paper or around town and see if you can sublease your place.

Good luck with it all.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Postpone your marriage till you get on your feet. Who needs that stress?
Old 07-09-2004, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James
Postpone your marriage till you get on your feet. Who needs that stress?
WTF?