GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,442
3 members and 1,439 guests
FSUZeta, Kevin, PGD-GRAD

Old 08-07-2009, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Sophomore Rush

Hi
So I am going to be a sophomore at the University of Colorado this year. I rushed last year but dropped out or whatever after two days because I realized I wasn't ready. I had a really hard time adjusting to college, leaving home, roommate issues, etc. I have now decided that I think I want to try again. I was wondering if this was a good idea and if I should go through with it even though I am a sophomore. Also does anyone have any advice for me? Also, I have some friends in sororities now, could that potentially hurt me?
Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-07-2009, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Are you even happy to be back at school? You need to make sure you're happy at school and with yourself before you consider making such a big commitment. College is a hard time, and being in a sorority can be great. But you need to make sure you're really ready to do it.

Having friends in sororities can help you, but I don't know how it would hurt you. Unless they aren't really your friends or thought that last year was a bad year for you and you aren't ready to commit yourself to their sorority.

Good luck.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:15 PM

Having friends in chapters is a pretty good thing.

It can really only be harmful if they for some reason decide they're not your friend anymore or there's some drama between you or something. Or if they know negative things about you and decide to tell their sisters.

Ex: One of your friends could say "Well I dunno if ___ really wants to be in a sorority, she like, hates going to school here and we don't know if she'd stick around.

We don't know if that would happen or not, but friends are usually more of a help than a hinderance.

Advice wise, at some schools, there are chapters who, for whatever reason are only really going to be interested in freshman PNMs. So I'd be prepared for that.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the advice but yes, I am ready to go back to school. I have a completely different mindset this year and am definitely going to be in a different situation. And now that I think about it I guess the friends thing was a weird question, it is hard to explain what I mean.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I was in a similar situation when I went through recruitment. I started my first semester, even accepted a bid from a different sorority, then dropped because I felt it was too much. When I returned to school in the fall I went through formal recruitment and I am so happy that I did! I was weary about school as well, but I am sooooo happy in my chapter and at my school!! Joining greek life definately enhanced my college experience! As a senior now I am so sad just thinking that this is it...And, my new member class was mostly sophomores, so don't be discouraged

Good luck!!
Old 08-10-2009, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't necessarily think that being a sophomore would hurt you at Boulder. If you feel like you're in a better place now than you were then, I would definitely sign up again. My best advice would be to just put your best foot forward and keep an open mind. Good luck.