GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,351
1 members and 1,350 guests
acg233

Old 06-08-2018, 02:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
No, I just heard someone talking about it, and they pointed out that the chapter is no longer on the Phi Mu national site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Did anyone floating the rumors indicate when this happened? I follow Onward State on Facebook, and they're usually on top of Greek chapter closings.

Paging als463...
Old 06-08-2018, 02:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Just looked at that other greek website, and it says that IHQ closed them due to numbers, but they are appealing, and that it was on the Penn State Greek Parents website, whatever that is.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokat View Post
Just looked at that other greek website, and it says that IHQ closed them due to numbers, but they are appealing, and that it was on the Penn State Greek Parents website, whatever that is.
@shadokat, the PSU Greek Parents website is a Facebook group comprised of parents of current GLO members at PSU. It was formed after Tim Piazza's death as a forum for us to share experiences and work together to help our kids. There was a lengthy discussion about Phi Mu's situation there. My understanding is exactly as you said, they have struggled with recruitment. Their numbers were very low after the seniors graduated. Their National HQ advised them they are closing the chapter. The remaining members are trying to appeal.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:08 PM

The Delta Sigma Phi chapter has been closed at the University of Alabama. Closure is due to RMF.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 06-14-2018, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKT4LIFE View Post
Per another greek interaction website, TriSig and DPhiE presented at Union College.
Per the UC FSL FB page, Theta Phi Alpha also presented. No decision yet.

https://www.facebook.com/uniongreeks

Last edited by PKT4LIFE; 06-14-2018 at 09:14 PM. Reason: add FB link
Old 06-15-2018, 04:03 PM

Two closures, both due to RMF:

Phi Kappa Psi at Ohio State University (4 year minimum)

Sigma Phi Epsilon at Quinnipiac University(CT) (2 year minimum)

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 06-22-2018, 12:36 PM

West Virginia University has suspended 4 fraternities. Phi Sigma Kappa and Sigma Alpha Mu have been suspended until Fall 2020. Phi Gamma Delta (FIJI) and Pi Kappa Alpha have been suspended indefinitely.

Below is a list of WVU's fraternities and the actions for all after last semester's investigations.

https://greeklife.wvu.edu/chapter-st...summit-results

Old 06-25-2018, 03:41 PM

Sigma Chi has closed the University of Pittsburgh(PA) chapter. Closure is due to violations of fraternity policies and failure to adhere to the pledge program.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Per our website, we have added the following expansions for the 2018-19 school year:

Fall '18 Penn State (Omicron), recharter
Spring '19 Texas Tech
Old 06-27-2018, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

DPhiE will be colonizing at Union College this fall, as per the announcement on Twitter.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Per our website, we have added the following expansions for the 2018-19 school year:

Fall '18 Penn State (Omicron), recharter
Spring '19 Texas Tech
For how long has this been in the works? I'm surprised that the fraternity would want to recharter with the current climate what it is at Penn State, and I'm equally surprised that the community would want to take on another Greek org.

@~/~~~~
Old 06-28-2018, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
For how long has this been in the works? I'm surprised that the fraternity would want to recharter with the current climate what it is at Penn State, and I'm equally surprised that the community would want to take on another Greek org.
Our return has been in the works for a while. We were given a return time by the FSL when our chapter closed a few years ago. There are 4 other fraternities that are eligible to return Fall’18. Single letter chapter, we still own the mansion and powerful alumni, play a significant role. I guess all eyes will be on us as we are the first fraternity to colonize post GL restructuring.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Our return has been in the works for a while. We were given a return time by the FSL when our chapter closed a few years ago. There are 4 other fraternities that are eligible to return Fall’18. Single letter chapter, we still own the mansion and powerful alumni, play a significant role. I guess all eyes will be on us as we are the first fraternity to colonize post GL restructuring.
Ah, makes sense. Good luck to the chapter!

@~/~~~~
Old 06-29-2018, 01:13 PM

The Delta Upsilon chapter at the University of Washington has been closed due to RMF. The chapter had been on suspension since Fall 2017.

The Kappa Sigma chapter at Texas State University has declined to accept the new university rules. The chapter has withdrawn from the campus IFC and will no longer be recognized by the university. The chapter will continue to operate as an off-campus organization.

https://star.txstate.edu/2018/06/fra...-are-instated/

Old 06-29-2018, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ I’m always curious when a chapter moves “off campus” and is still recognized by their Hdqtrs. Does this affect their ability to get insurance since they are no longer under the guidelines of the university and its risk-mgt. guidelines?
When field reps visit chapters, the Greek advisor or dean gives them an evaluation of the chapter, their official GPA, etc. All that can be applied to their chapter standing with their Hdqtrs. including awards and scholarships. And can sororities still pair with non-recognized groups for campus events?
Maybe I’m reading too much into these situations—and I know campus guidelines are often a pain in the ass—but is cutting yourself loose a valid idea?