GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 843
0 members and 843 guests
No Members online

Old 10-10-2018, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
This chapter was closed by their inter/national organization, not the school. Most of the closures that are happening recently are done by the organizations themselves with the citing of chapters that are not abiding by rules set by them.
Sorry to disagree Kev but discussed this this with IHQ. They went to bat for the Chapter. School said no emphatically. Sorry won't go into why but it was upsetting.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-10-2018, 02:19 PM

Phi Sigma Phi has been permanently banned from Central Michigan University.

https://www.wxyz.com/news/cmu-drops-...ct-allegations

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 10-10-2018, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

From SK HQ newsletter, the Sigma Kappa colony at The University of Alabama pledged 250 women! So exciting!
Old 10-11-2018, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

New Jersey
*Stockton University: Theta Phi Alpha, Sigma Delta Tau and Gamma Phi Beta have been invited to present per the Greek Life FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/StocktonGreeks

Last edited by PKT4LIFE; 10-11-2018 at 11:40 PM. Reason: typing
Old 10-11-2018, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

More snooping, another update.

Kansas
*Ottawa University: Theta Phi Alpha has an Interest Group on campus.

https://myottawa.ottawa.edu/ICS/Stud...Greek_Life.jnz
Old 10-12-2018, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
Sorry to disagree Kev but discussed this this with IHQ. They went to bat for the Chapter. School said no emphatically. Sorry won't go into why but it was upsetting.
Got word that SAE is now coming onto NESU, Ok.

Also verified why LXA was SHOVED OFF of campus. They did all that was asked of them but WELL, they still got screwed over.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-12-2018, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Last month, Zeta Beta Tau (ZBT), Sigma Alpha Mu (Sammy) and Pi Lambda Phi (PiLam) presented at Union College (NY). I just received noticed today that ZBT has been invited to re-colonize our Epsilon Chapter for Spring 2019.

ZBT: "Brotherhood For A Lifetime"
Old 10-12-2018, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

DU expansion

DU will colonize at Loyola Marymount beginning January 2019.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

The Chi Phi colony at UCSD has closed due to low membership.

https://chiphi.dynamic.omegafi.com/2...se-operations/
Old 10-12-2018, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
I'm a little late on this, but many of you will remember the tale of Kappa Delta at Washington and Lee disaffiliating and becoming a local group called Delta Society.

Apparently there is now a local fraternity at Washington and Lee as well, formed in Spring 2018.
https://www.wlu.edu/student-life/stu...-organizations

I guess it's the former Phi Delta Theta chapter, which disaffiliated.
http://ringtumphi.org/3849/news/form...al-fraternity/
Old 10-13-2018, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

Can you explain the general mindset reported in the last link? For instance, the president of the local fraternity cited PDT's high dues, and followed up later with the statement that since becoming local their dues had reduced "some", which makes me think the dues are an excuse, not the main reason.The local sorority president made it sound as if a big grievance was Nationals "interfering" with them. Is she inferring that the chapter was under some sort of double secret probation, or that the chapter didn't like having to fill out reports and comply with national by-laws?

And how are you? Great to see you on the boards again.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathesgelatin View Post
I'm a little late on this, but many of you will remember the tale of Kappa Delta at Washington and Lee disaffiliating and becoming a local group called Delta Society.

Apparently there is now a local fraternity at Washington and Lee as well, formed in Spring 2018.
https://www.wlu.edu/student-life/stu...-organizations

I guess it's the former Phi Delta Theta chapter, which disaffiliated.
http://ringtumphi.org/3849/news/form...al-fraternity/
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Can you explain the general mindset reported in the last link? For instance, the president of the local fraternity cited PDT's high dues, and followed up later with the statement that since becoming local their dues had reduced "some", which makes me think the dues are an excuse, not the main reason.The local sorority president made it sound as if a big grievance was Nationals "interfering" with them. Is she inferring that the chapter was under some sort of double secret probation, or that the chapter didn't like having to fill out reports and comply with national by-laws?

And how are you? Great to see you on the boards again.
For the win on that assumption, FSUZeta. W&L has always posted costs of membership. Check out this year's cost chart:

https://www.wlu.edu/document/fratern...al-obligations

I think this is all about the "dry house" policy. The national fees have been offset by a huge social fee, leaving the new local as the second most expensive fraternity on campus.

W&L has a history of taking a very liberal view toward alcohol. Beer and wine were served for free during the receptions after all of my daughter's choir concerts during Parents' Weekends, IDs are never checked at fraternity parties, IFC-approved parties are openly held in university-owned fraternity housing, there is a university shuttle bus that ferries students around to off-campus fraternity parties on W, F, and Saturdays, etc. Parents' Weekend is a heavy-duty social event, with many parents and students socializing/drinking together. This culture doesn't jive with some of the national group policies, so there is backlash, and these localizations seem to have been supported by the institution.

Obviously, we are in an era where national organizations are attempting to navigate responses to tragedies, negative PR and press, etc. and this has resulted in stricter policies that aim to prevent additional tragedies. And, this particular group said, "no thanks, we like things the way they are here, so we're going local." And the university supports that.

I'm not making any judgment calls -- these are difficult times as we all navigate these issues.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Our Boston University colony was installed today as the Zeta Pi chapter. Congrats!
Old 10-14-2018, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks Sciencewoman.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Although an alum, I'm not super up on W&L stuff these days. I do think Sciencewoman is right, what's going on at W&L has more to do with alcohol, parties, and national risk management policies than it does high national dues.

While there is definitely merit to the idea that dry house policies just push drinking off campus, and terrifying enough in the W&L context, often way out into the country, I'm pretty shocked the school is taking on insuring the local groups. The cynic in me wonders if that will continue after the first time one of the local groups has an incident, or even when the Dean of Students changes. I note that the Dean doesn't have much background in student affairs..............

Or, maybe the situation will get a lot better with the advent of 3rd year housing and so on.