GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,495
0 members and 2,495 guests
No Members online

Old 11-04-2005, 08:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Lee says educated blacks should be role models
11/3/05 USA TODAY

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. (AP) - Spike Lee says the value of education is being overshadowed by the images that gangsta rap glorifies.

"Young black kids didn't grow up wanting to be a pimp or a stripper like they do now," Lee said of his youth in Brooklyn.

He drew two standing ovations Wednesday night as a featured speaker at a conference on cultural diversity at Middle Tennessee State University. The 48-year-old filmmaker, who is working on a documentary on Hurricane Katrina, urged students to find a way to make being educated cool again.

"Back then, we were not called sellouts for using our brains. And being intelligent was not frowned upon," Lee said. He likened the images from some rap videos to the distorted view minstrel shows of the 19th century gave most of the world about American blacks.
~ Luke 19:10

Last edited by TonyB06; 11-04-2005 at 08:56 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-04-2005, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Strong words that can't be repeated enough.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RBL
I don't honestly beleive that education has ever been "cool". Although I liked going to school not achieving was NOT an option. For me it goes back to strong parenting IN THE BEGINNING. The VALUE of education needs to be stressed by parents early.. I know of several mentor programs in my area that are lacking volunteers because the volunteers have a very difficult job stressing and teaching (particularly on the value of education) when all their efforts are undermined once the child is in their home environment. In my experience most of these parent(s) have no job and have more than adequate time but refuses to play an active role in the education of their children...
Old 11-04-2005, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
RBL, you make a good point. Parents and guardians need to have their act together and be involved. Otherwise, it can be come cyclical. I don't feel that gangsta rap itself is the root of all problems but a symptom of a certain enviornment. I wish there was an easy solution.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

So true, RBL, so true!
Old 11-04-2005, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree.

The focus on gangsta and commercial rap is misplaced. The role of parents (and even extended family) in the process of raising a bright and well-rounded generation of children can never be underestimated.

As we have seen with the Katrina fallout, education is essential - it IS power - there is no way around it and that is not just a cliché!
Old 11-04-2005, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with all that has been said. However, if each household had parents that support a valued education, much of what we strive to do as members of the Pan Hell would not be needed. To that end, as educated persons we must continue to bridge the gap for those that have not had our opportunities.

Also, what I continue to find interesting as a male (and I know we have discussed this to some extent), educated women seemingly are drawn more to men with the thug mentality than the educated accomplished male. My point being if we are going to tell kids they need to value education and dismiss the images seen on BET and other shows women must also lead by example by supporting men with education and some degree of success. I'm not asking the ladies to go after ever nerd in the country but to make it the right thing to do by uplifting brothers that are progressive and intelligent.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
I think it's a good message, but

Sadly, though, I don't see how Spike's message can be transmitted to those who really need to hear it -- underclass people. Most of us are at least middle-class or working towards that status.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: I think it's a good message, but

we help shape society and its views. if we also send a strong message, perhaps the views of the "underclass" will change. rosa parks' one action helped change the country.

Quote:
Originally posted by Steeltrap
Sadly, though, I don't see how Spike's message can be transmitted to those who really need to hear it -- underclass people. Most of us are at least middle-class or working towards that status.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
Re: Re: I think it's a good message, but

Quote:
Originally posted by Professor
we help shape society and its views. if we also send a strong message, perhaps the views of the "underclass" will change. rosa parks' one action helped change the country.
I see ST's point, though. Look at where Spike delivered his message - at a University. If someone is at university, they are either (1) already part of the middle/upper class, or (2) striving to get there. It is a good and important message but Spike (and many others) are merely preaching to the choir.

I've yet to see any prominent African American dare to take this message to the people who need to hear it most. Now granted, I'm up here in the Great White North and it might not have made the news cycles up here, but is anyone going this route?
Old 11-04-2005, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RBL
Quote:
Originally posted by Professor
Also, what I continue to find interesting as a male (and I know we have discussed this to some extent), educated women seemingly are drawn more to men with the thug mentality than the educated accomplished male. My point being if we are going to tell kids they need to value education and dismiss the images seen on BET and other shows women must also lead by example by supporting men with education and some degree of success.
I totally agree with this... women have a lot of influence when it comes to shaping the male attitude/actions(to some degree).
Old 11-04-2005, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: I think it's a good message, but

Quote:
Originally posted by Sistermadly
I've yet to see any prominent African American dare to take this message to the people who need to hear it most. Now granted, I'm up here in the Great White North and it might not have made the news cycles up here, but is anyone going this route?
Sistermadly,
Yes, Spike spoke at MTSU but how many of the spectators who heard him are likely involved in community orgs. and making the difference he (and we) are all talking about?

This is the point I was making in the "black church" thread. it's not the "prominent AfAms" but everyday people who ARE working at these initiatives in cities across the U.S., just outside the media glare. I'm sure Urban League chapters, churches, NAACP chapters (in some cities), frat/sorority chapters, work in programs with elements of the "underclass" who do want to change. I just think the impact is more incremental than we'd all like to see.
~ Luke 19:10
Old 11-04-2005, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
^^
Incremental is a good point. Expectations, IMO, have been fired up for us for years, thanks to the civil rights movement. But I've read it somewhere that whole populations just don't move in lockstep from poverty to affluence. People have to be well-prepared and take advantage of opportunities when they open up.

And the society just, IMO, isn't as open as it was during the movement's heyday.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I think many people would agree with you. They do not SEE these openings either. But, not only are they not well-prepared to take advantage of what might come along, they are also not prepared (or educated enough) to shape their futures by constructive means.

Whatever society in which we live and whatever our circumstance, we must always be determined to create opportunity where there is none. And, we must develop a means to communicate these realities that we discuss among the choir directly to the people who NEED to hear it, not just those who want to.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
Quote:
Originally posted by Steeltrap
And the society just, IMO, isn't as open as it was during the movement's heyday.
I agree. We live in a (global) culture that rewards anti-intellectualism, so it'll be even more difficult to convince people that there are greater rewards (not just financial rewards) that come with class mobility.