GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,411
1 members and 1,410 guests
TLLK

Old 04-21-2017, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Iota Phi Lambda -Charlotte Interest Group

An interest group has been created for ladies in the Mecklenburg County area interested in chartering a Queen City Graduate Chapter of Iota Phi Lambda Sorority, Inc. Please comment your email address or subscribe directly iotaphilambda-clt-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.
#iota1929
#iotaphilambda
#mecklenburgcounty #northcarolina #businesssorority

Old 04-21-2017, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Old 04-22-2017, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm not personally interested, but why limit it to Meck Co only?
Old 04-22-2017, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I am not in this organization, but:

Any fraternal/sororal organization needs to have a service area--a place defined by political boundaries that they can commit to serving. The benefits to having a well-defined service area are numerous, but my top two reasons are convenience for members and generating a positive reputation for the org.

Scenario #1: The group charters with 7 or 8 women, five from Charlotte proper, one from Concord, one from Gastonia, and one from Hickory Grove, SC. If they always meet in Charlotte, some of the sisters will always have to travel and will eventually resent it.

Scenario #2: Say the group decides to travel from place to place in rotation. Well, there are only 7 or 8 of them still. While it would be great for the group to have a strong presence with only one member in a town, that's not likely.

For some reason, there is an inclination for new groups to be as inclusive as possible. This is a mistake. Narrowing the focus on the smallest possible political designation allows the group to have meaningful relationships with community partners, school systems, and even potential community foundations.

I am sure this group will take any qualified members who are committed to making the drive, but their decision to focus on this county is standard and reasonable.

Also, I am familiar with the expansion of another business sorority in that area and they have several chapters spread out down there as well.

Not that she owes either of us an explanation.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for your response. That makes sense.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
I am not in this organization, but:

Any fraternal/sororal organization needs to have a service area--a place defined by political boundaries that they can commit to serving. The benefits to having a well-defined service area are numerous, but my top two reasons are convenience for members and generating a positive reputation for the org.

Scenario #1: The group charters with 7 or 8 women, five from Charlotte proper, one from Concord, one from Gastonia, and one from Hickory Grove, SC. If they always meet in Charlotte, some of the sisters will always have to travel and will eventually resent it.

Scenario #2: Say the group decides to travel from place to place in rotation. Well, there are only 7 or 8 of them still. While it would be great for the group to have a strong presence with only one member in a town, that's not likely.

For some reason, there is an inclination for new groups to be as inclusive as possible. This is a mistake. Narrowing the focus on the smallest possible political designation allows the group to have meaningful relationships with community partners, school systems, and even potential community foundations.

I am sure this group will take any qualified members who are committed to making the drive, but their decision to focus on this county is standard and reasonable.

Also, I am familiar with the expansion of another business sorority in that area and they have several chapters spread out down there as well.

Not that she owes either of us an explanation.

Thank you so much for responding (I am recovering from a surgery and have been in and out --so to speak). Your "making the drive" comment is so true. I am also in an organization that services Union County although I live in Mecklenburg.

Old 04-29-2017, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

You're welcome. Hope you feel better soon! Pneumonia nearly took me out these past few weeks, but dear God I'm here. LOL
Old 04-30-2017, 08:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I was mostly asking as I'm in Union so I like to see us included. I feel we're forgotten about often way down here! Sorry you had surgery, hope all is well!
Old 05-27-2017, 01:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralaylin View Post
I was mostly asking as I'm in Union so I like to see us included. I feel we're forgotten about often way down here! Sorry you had surgery, hope all is well!
@lauralaylin Thank you so much! And you are so right. I live in Charlotte, but the Alumnae Chapter of SGRho that I am a member of, services Union County. I never realized how much help was needed until we started volunteering!!! Love the area

Old 05-27-2017, 01:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
You're welcome. Hope you feel better soon! Pneumonia nearly took me out these past few weeks, but dear God I'm here. LOL
LOLOL Amen!!!!!