GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,482
1 members and 2,481 guests
No Members online

Old 06-19-2007, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlethiaSi
Advice for quitting a job?

I've been in my current job for a year and began as a temp and my position changed to permanent. It is at a college, and its in accounts payable but i got my degree in psychology and have been toying with the idea of teaching. In any event, I hate my job, I'm so annoyed every day that I'm here and I make no money whatsoever (the only good thing is that i get benefits (which i know is huge) and free tuition (but ihated the program and failed out b/c i have to work another job in order to just survive... its been a rough few months)
my point is... i want to quit... Any advice on how to go about it?

(I will keep my waitressing job for the time being and am going to look for another job or apply to schools.... )
Old 06-19-2007, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlethiaSi View Post
I've been in my current job for a year and began as a temp and my position changed to permanent. It is at a college, and its in accounts payable but i got my degree in psychology and have been toying with the idea of teaching. In any event, I hate my job, I'm so annoyed every day that I'm here and I make no money whatsoever (the only good thing is that i get benefits (which i know is huge) and free tuition (but ihated the program and failed out b/c i have to work another job in order to just survive... its been a rough few months)

(I will keep my waitressing job for the time being and am going to look for another job or apply to schools.... )

OMIGOODNESS!!! I am quitting my current job TODAY and it is in higher education!! I just googled "how to resign"! I am quitting to go back to school to get my masters in elementary education!! Wow! It looks like we have the same exact dilemma! Weird, huh?

Oh, sorry no advice though...I have already accepted a part time job in the same office so I can go to school full time.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

i would be really hesitant to pass up the free tuition especialy if you want to go for a masters (in teaching right?) but if you REALLY dislike it, maybe instead of quitting, looking for a lateral move, working in another position in the university?
Old 06-19-2007, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljkelly View Post
OMIGOODNESS!!! I am quitting my current job TODAY and it is in higher education!! I just googled "how to resign"! I am quitting to go back to school to get my masters in elementary education!! Wow! It looks like we have the same exact dilemma! Weird, huh?

Oh, sorry no advice though...I have already accepted a part time job in the same office so I can go to school full time.

lol we are totally in the same situation! that is so weird..
yea, Idk if i'd even want to move offices... i kind of just want... OUT. Its a private school, and though the school is good, its affiliated with Catholicism and i'm not really down with that... not that there is anything wrong with it....I just wasn't raised that way and personally don't like being preached at here.... (b/c thats how it is...)

tld- ya know, I think thats why I've held on to this job for so long... I mean free tuition is really hard to pass up... but I would rather just pay for school and take out loans then be here... how awful is that?
Old 06-19-2007, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

This was actually featured on Good Morning America earlier today.

From my personal experience, I never quit a job until I had another lined up. But if you can make it w/o a job, just put in your 2 weeks notice and let your HR person know you'd like to do an exit interview.

My last job i started to hate more and more every day until the point i got physically sick on Monday mornings and by Friday afternoon I had "i'm gonna go postal" scenarios running through my head... but I made sure to still put in 2 weeks notice AND took a vacation b4 starting the next gig! LOL.

Your health and sanity are SO MUCH MORE IMPORTANT than a job. You have the rest of your life to work.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
"If your boss is an S-O-B
tell him to S-H-O-V-E the J-O-B
Put your middle finger up slowly,
put it close to his face
so he can examine it closely,
say "I ain't workin' here no more,
who do you think you are?"
Rip your apron off
and throw it on the floor..."

from Shove this Jay-Oh-Bee - Canibus w/Biz Markie

p a w e a since 1899
Old 06-19-2007, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still BLUTANG View Post

From my personal experience, I never quit a job until I had another lined up. But if you can make it w/o a job, just put in your 2 weeks notice and let your HR person know you'd like to do an exit interview.

My last job i started to hate more and more every day until the point i got physically sick on Monday mornings and by Friday afternoon I had "i'm gonna go postal" scenarios running through my head... but I made sure to still put in 2 weeks notice AND took a vacation b4 starting the next gig! LOL.

Your health and sanity are SO MUCH MORE IMPORTANT than a job. You have the rest of your life to work.
THANK you for saying that... i've felt so guilty throughout this entire thing.... idk if its b/c i should just shut up and like it... or like... b/c i've just been here a year... idk... but it is nice for someone to verbalize that.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still BLUTANG View Post

this sholdve been my first response... since this was me one year ago.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I can't do this anymore. I just don't care enough to keep going, I thought I could hang in there because of benefits... but I just can't, my sanity is starting to go....
Should I just go up to HR and tell them? I've read columns where they said to speak to my boss first, but Idk how I feel about that right now....
ugh.... help!
Old 07-01-2007, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I can't do this anymore. I just don't care enough to keep going, I thought I could hang in there because of benefits... but I just can't, my sanity is starting to go....
Should I just go up to HR and tell them? I've read columns where they said to speak to my boss first, but Idk how I feel about that right now....
ugh.... help!
I know the feeling. I had a job for 4.5 years, where I started to HATE it after I hit the 3 yr mark. It got to the point where I wanted to call in sick EVERY day! Luckily, I had a great boss and I could talk to her about my issues. She was very understanding and supported my efforts to find a new job. Oh, I had a "receptionist" type job at my alma mater. It was the type of job that you should have for just a couple years and move on. But b/c of many diff reasons, I stayed way longer than I should have.

Anyway, I think if you have another job (you said you were waitressing), then I say leave the accts payable job. In terms of not having benefits, that will suck but just try your hardest to stay healthy. I'm in that position now b/c I'm a full time grad student. If you do decide to leave your job, my advice is to start letting other people know that you are looking for a job. I think networking will be a big help. I think every job that I have gotten since I graduated college has been through someone else knowing about an opening.

Overall, you have to do what's best for you. Don't jeopardize your mental health over it all. When I was in that situation, I was stressed beyond belief! It's not worth it. My issues were due to the monotony of the job, as well as a horrible coworker who thought she ran the place I couldn't deal with either any longer. So, do you and just work like hell to get another job! Good luck!

Last edited by ZChi4Life; 07-01-2007 at 11:12 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

While you shouldn't jeopardize your health over it, also be careful not to burn your bridges. All you should do (if you haven't already) is type up a formal letter of resignation which states that you are resigning from your position effective on (blank) date to pursue other employment opportunities. Ask to speak with your boss and give him/her the letter and inquire what other steps are necessary to make this official. You don't have to give them a lot of details or explanations. Just keep it short and sweet. Let them know that you will be happy to train someone in your duties if that is necessary. Just go with dignity and respect and treat all of them with dignity and respect. You NEVER know when you might encounter someone from there again and in what capacity.