GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,365
3 members and 1,362 guests
John, Sarak24034, UofISigKap

Old 06-15-2006, 05:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Think of GPA requirements for sororities as similar to GPA requirements for a competitive academic program. If there are a limited number of slots, even if you have the minimum GPA, if there are more people with a higher GPA, you might not be admitted. For instance, for the OT program I was in, the minimum GPA was a 3.0 but nobody with below a 3.4 got into it because it was so competitive.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Question GPA translation

Hello everyone. I will be going through recruitment this fall. The minimum GPA for freshmen is a 2.75. I went to a private high school and they did not use the traditional 4.0 scale. Instead they went by percentages. I was wondering if anyone knew how to convert a percent GPA to a 4.0 scale. Thank you.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Talk to your greek life office. They may help you or submit a transcript for you. Good luck!
Old 06-15-2006, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine43
Hello everyone. I will be going through recruitment this fall. The minimum GPA for freshmen is a 2.75. I went to a private high school and they did not use the traditional 4.0 scale. Instead they went by percentages. I was wondering if anyone knew how to convert a percent GPA to a 4.0 scale. Thank you.

Was it just a straight percentage? Like from 0-100%?

Depending on the school system there's a 10 point or 6 point scale. There might be others but I've never heard of them. In the 10 point scale 90-100 is and A, 80-89 is a B and so on. In the 6 point scale 94-100 is an A, 88-93 is a B and so on. An A = 4.0, B, = 3.0, etc. If they use +/- grades it affects the GPA but I forget by how much.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl
Was it just a straight percentage? Like from 0-100%?

Depending on the school system there's a 10 point or 6 point scale. There might be others but I've never heard of them. In the 10 point scale 90-100 is and A, 80-89 is a B and so on. In the 6 point scale 94-100 is an A, 88-93 is a B and so on. An A = 4.0, B, = 3.0, etc. If they use +/- grades it affects the GPA but I forget by how much.

At my HS, +/- were worth .2 respectively. So, A+ would be 4.2, A- would be 3.8. That was on a 6 point scale, though. I don't know if it's different if you're on a 10 point scale.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to fifi225
From another UCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf
Good luck at UCF recruitment! ZTAngel and I are "old," but we're still somewhat familiar with what's happening at our campus. BellaBerlee may be able to offer some current insights.
I'm not old, and I totally second everything that adpiucf just said
Be yourself, and don't worry. Look at it this way, if you are going to get cut for your GPA after the first round, then well, your going to get cut. Not really much you can do about it at this point. So concentrate on your strengths, focusing on your weaknesses (now) will only hurt you.

Best of luck!

...oh, and no, nobody goes to pub anymore. Well not right now anyway, I went to subway last night at about 1:30am and was suprised to find it wonderfully quiet! Heh. Pub closed for a few weeks.

/random
Old 06-26-2006, 02:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to fifi225
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfpnm
Really? That's strange. There's still all kinds of students up there. Do you know why?

Maybe they decided to clean the floor and fix the bathrooms, lord knows that would take several weeks

I've set foot in that place ONCE last year. My roommate was stranded and I drove over there to rescue her. As my foot STUCK to the floor, I figured going back wasn't really on my "high list" of priorities.

The guy at subway said that they are closed for a few weeks. It was pretty quiet last night at 1:30 and looked closed.

What year are you?
Old 06-26-2006, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Keeping the UCF crash going... you know how old I am? I am so old that "in my day...." the only thing around campus was the Pub, "Club" Applebee's (don't even ask), Wing Shack, Magic Wings-Mandangos-Janie Macks (and I have no idea what y'all are calling it now) and the now-defunct UC-7 cinema. We had a Smoothie King and lots of woods....

Ah ... Tuesday nights at the Pub. Good times.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey guys!! Late but hope you guys can help! I am a sophomore (well until fall I can get the credit to be viewed as a sophomore) But my first year I did horrible, I went into with a different major choice. But my gpa now is 2.3 and hopefully it will go up to at least 2.5. I knew gpa was a requirement but I didnt know how competitive. Scared now? Def! ADPI has the highest gpa with 3.1 which is VERY competitive and ADPI is one of my top choices. My chances of getting into my top choices scares me very much now
Old 06-26-2006, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emme
Hey guys!! Late but hope you guys can help! I am a sophomore (well until fall I can get the credit to be viewed as a sophomore) But my first year I did horrible, I went into with a different major choice. But my gpa now is 2.3 and hopefully it will go up to at least 2.5. I knew gpa was a requirement but I didnt know how competitive. Scared now? Def! ADPI has the highest gpa with 3.1 which is VERY competitive and ADPI is one of my top choices. My chances of getting into my top choices scares me very much now

A piece of advice: I wouldn't go into recruitment with a group of "top choices" especially if your GPA is low. I'd keep an open mind if I were you. With that GPA, you'll be facing some cuts.

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JocelynC

A piece of advice: I wouldn't go into recruitment with a group of "top choices" especially if your GPA is low. I'd keep an open mind if I were you. With that GPA, you'll be facing some cuts.
Yea thats what Im VERY scared of! I have my top choices but im not closed minded at all!! I will be very open minded to all the sororities and hope for the best. The only thing im scared about is all the ones I like being cut from them. I prepared for the worst and the best. I know my personality and it will shine I just hope my GPA will be looked at before my personality.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emme
Yea thats what Im VERY scared of! I have my top choices but im not closed minded at all!! I will be very open minded to all the sororities and hope for the best. The only thing im scared about is all the ones I like being cut from them. I prepared for the worst and the best. I know my personality and it will shine I just hope my GPA will be looked at before my personality.
Honestly, (this may seem harsh, but it's a reality), you will probably be cut from all of the groups very early on because of your GPA. 2.3 is a VERY low GPA. While there is always a chance, and also depends on your school, I very much doubt it.

Also, if your grades are that low, you probably should be concentrating exclusively on your school work. Sororities take up a lot of time. It's going to take a lot of work to get that GPA up, which should be your top priority. You have your own future to think of- getting a job after college and/or getting into a grad school.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani
Honestly, (this may seem harsh, but it's a reality), you will probably be cut from all of the groups very early on because of your GPA. 2.3 is a VERY low GPA. While there is always a chance, and also depends on your school, I very much doubt it.

Also, if your grades are that low, you probably should be concentrating exclusively on your school work. Sororities take up a lot of time. It's going to take a lot of work to get that GPA up, which should be your top priority. You have your own future to think of- getting a job after college and/or getting into a grad school.
She's right. Also on top of that, many sororities have a national GPA requirment. While usually less then the schools GPA requirment, that alone can get you cut.

I'd suggest you concentrate on your school work and don't worry about rush.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 06-27-2006, 11:38 PM

While we're on this topic of grades:

All rushees should take this general piece of advice, but it's especially true for freshmen:

Of course there are always uncontrollable circumstances (i.e. illness, natural disaster, etc), but TAKE COLLEGE SERIOUSLY. Make an effort to do well. If you don't, you'll have to work HARDER to bring it up. Make it easy on yourself and do the work/go to class. You'll be glad you did.

This is relevant to recruitment as well. If you go through rush after getting crappy grades, it's going to be harder for you to get a bid. That's just the way it is. Whether you're rushing at Ole Miss or at some small school in Wisconsin, bad grades will hurt your chances.

If your grades are lower than like 90% of the sorority GPA requirements, then in my opinion, you need to save yourself the trouble and focus on school. If possible, go through the next year after raising your GPA.

Forgive me if I'm being harsh, but I feel like this thread could benefit from this little reminder.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 06-27-2006 at 11:54 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

^ What she said! Ladies, please remember that you are in college to get an education and move onto a future career. Your grades need to be the top priority. Forget sororities for a moment. If you overwhelm yourself with too many extracurriculars and you have poor study habits it will not bode well when it comes time to pursue internships, graduate study and some entry level jobs.

College is about getting a degree. Sororities are one of the many ways to enrich your college experience, but you need to have a strong sense of self and a handle on your grades before you commit to Greek Life. We reward good scholarship and provide membership programming to keep our sisters on task with their grades, but we are not going to wake you up every morning and hold your hand through class. You need to prove to us that you are committed to school before you can commit to membership.

ETA: Please don't be deluded that an outgoing and wonderful personality will compensate for a poor GPA. There are 100s and sometimes over 1000 women who go through sorority recruitment. You have a limited amount of time to make a first impression before cuts can begin for the next round. With so many women coming through, those with the most stellar resumes are likely going to make it through before the ones with fewer credentials. Chances are, those girls with the great grades have just as wonderful a personality and they are going to be seen as the more desireable candidates because they can bring the sorority more kudos by way of their academic and extracurricular achievements which makes the whole sorority look good. On those rare occasions someone with lower grades is offered a bid it is usually because she has some stellar achievement, such as a pageant title or a high ranking student government office.

Last edited by adpiucf; 06-28-2006 at 10:33 AM.