GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,933
0 members and 1,933 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

COB Help :-)

Hello, I am a student at ECU and have a ?? I literally came to this campus with knowing not even 1 person.
I went into Rush week and had an amazing time, met lots of great girls and
learned that I did not meet the GPA requirement for all BUT 1 chapter. (I was in an accident my Senior year of High School and with this got an exception for my GPA for my College entry and Scholarships as I was awarded them prior to the drastic grade drop. I did not want to drop my advanced classes as with the tutoring and home hospital help was able to pass them although with C's. The Chapter that did offer me a Pledge was great but to say the least I was devastated and made the decision to drop out and be placed on the COB list as I am Pre Med and was hoping to be with a group whom I have common interests with as far as their community volunteer involvement etc. I did reach out to the Greek Life Board as when my recommendation letters were sent in to different chapters pre rush week it had my approved GPA from Home Health not my actual and I did get an email from the Greek Life Office that they had made the corrections. By the time I received this it was to late for me to rectify the issue. They have been very nice and added me to the COB list however I feel like it is a lost cause, and was wondering if it is ok to reach out to the different Sororities on campus directly to see if they have any open spots etc. Please let me know your honest opinions as any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Not familiar with your campus so not sure this is a valid suggestion. I would wait a year and make sure my GPA was really strong and then go through recruitment again, keeping an open mind as to the outcome. I'd work on all the other areas that we suggest for those who want to re-rush. Lots of good threads here - go to the sorority recruitment forum and start reading.

I would not contact any chapters directly but that's me. Like I said, I don't know your campus.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 09-11-2015, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
In this case where your official GPA is different than what the sororities have on record, I might suggest you reaching out. Otherwise, if chapters see you on a COB list, they likely will automatically have your name attached to the previous GPA that they had for you and will not even consider you. I would see if you can get a letter from the Greek Life office documenting your new GPA as valid if you can to attach.

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 09-11-2015, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Based strictly on the numbers listed on the NPC Recruitment thread, I would say COB is not going to be the way you want to go. If something should present itself, then great, but as AZTheta said, I'd plan to wait for formal next year and get all your ducks in a row as you prepare for it. It's not the worst thing in the world to focus on your grades your freshman year anyway. Make friends, keep your grades up, be involved on campus, and when you go through next year you should have a different outcome. Unfortunately, the sororities don't have the time to double check or question a bad grade note, so starting fresh next year should give you a significant change in result.

But one thing worth pointing out; you dropped out because you wanted to be with girls more like you. These chapters have more than 150 members. There are plenty of girls just like you in every chapter. On your next time through, be more open to the options you have, not the options you think you deserve.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Did you sign a bid card? If a chapter offered you a bid and you declined, you aren't eligible for recruitment for 1 year.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-12-2015, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
be more open to the options you have, not the options you think you deserve.
This is what more and more of the young women going through Recruitment need to have in mind. How on Earth can anyone say that out of a chapter of 50, 100, 150, 300..... 'I didn't fit in." "There was no one I could make a connection to." If you have options, give them a chance!!!
Old 09-14-2015, 10:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Did you sign a bid card? If a chapter offered you a bid and you declined, you aren't eligible for recruitment for 1 year.
I was wondering the same