GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Community Service / Philanthropy

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,140
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zolivilittlez29
» Online Users: 1,042
4 members and 1,038 guests
John, navane, Sen's Revenge

Old 01-03-2014, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Panhellenic Philanthropy Event idea

Hello,

I am the VP of Community Relations for the Panhellenic council at my school. I am looking for ideas for an event that all the sororities on campus could be part of. We have 12 houses and each house has around 150 members. Also, my campus is pretty apathetic toward Panhellenic events so if you had any ideas on how to get more people involved, it would be greatly appreciated!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-05-2014, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

My campus recently hosted a Panhellenic fundraising event that also counted for service for the women who participated! Volunteers from PHC + all of our sororities made grilled cheese sandwiches. All of the money we raised through the event went to a local charity.

Flyers, an email, and a campus sign were distributed about a week before, stating that one could buy a grilled cheese & have it delivered anywhere on campus for $1. You could get multiple sandwiches for increasing price increments of .50 cents, I think. (ie: 2 = 1.50, 3 = 2, 4 = 2.50 and so forth.)

Sorority women worked 30 minute shifts between 9pm-12am in kitchens in the dorms; the total event lasted from 9pm to 12am, when a ton of students were hanging out in their dorms or the library. You could call the cell number of the PHC officer in charge to place your order, or email them using the address on the flyer for an advance order. During the event, women who were there, but weren't cooking sandwiches at the moment went to Facebook and Twitter, posting details about the event and encouraging people to order.

I'm from a smaller campus, but it's certainly something that could be scaled up for a very large campus. You'll need a good amount of workers to keep up with the demand that would likely occur on such a large campus, but if there's women in need of service hours, it was an easy way to get an hour. Incentive to get people to join up, if needed. Hope that helps!
Old 01-05-2014, 01:00 AM
GreekChat Member

My campus panhel adopts local families during the holiday season. All of the sorority women pool their resources to get holiday meals, presents, and necessities for low income families.