GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,214
1 members and 1,213 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 07-15-2011, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Clothing questions for recruitment at the University of Arizona 2011

I just got a few dresses, and I was wondering if they're ok for recruitment?

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...xx.esn_results

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...1t:429,r:4,s:0
Old 07-15-2011, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

These dresses strike me as "going to the mall with my friends" rather than "looking super nice for recruitment." Personally, I think both dresses are too short and that the second one is far too form fitting. Remember, you are dressing to impress girls, not guys. You want to make good first impressions, and you don't want to be known as the PNM who looked trashy. Also, I think the print may be a little too busy and in-your-face. If I were you, I would stick to something more traditional and subdued. You can still show your personality through accessories and use that as a conversation point instead of a wild print. My verdict: return both and get something more modest and cute.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriana View Post
These dresses strike me as "going to the mall with my friends" rather than "looking super nice for recruitment." Personally, I think both dresses are too short and that the second one is far too form fitting. Remember, you are dressing to impress girls, not guys. You want to make good first impressions, and you don't want to be known as the PNM who looked trashy. Also, I think the print may be a little too busy and in-your-face. If I were you, I would stick to something more traditional and subdued. You can still show your personality through accessories and use that as a conversation point instead of a wild print. My verdict: return both and get something more modest and cute.
I'd wait and let the U of A experts weigh in. I've heard things tend to be a little shorter and tighter on that campus, but that's second hand. Calling all the Tucson Greeks...you know who you are!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 07-15-2011, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

The second dress, the brightly colored one looks like it might be tricky if you had to sit on the floor at a chapter.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's the link for the stuff they suggest:

http://arizonagreek.orgsync.com/org/pan/whattowear

It seems a bit more casual than other formal recruitments because of the 110 degree whether.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I'd wait and let the U of A experts weigh in. I've heard things tend to be a little shorter and tighter on that campus, but that's second hand. Calling all the Tucson Greeks...you know who you are!
Oh yeah, I am definitely not an expert on U of A recruitment but based on the website the OP linked, it still seems inappropriate. All of the dresses were a-line.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

I think you'd be more comfortable in slightly more relaxed clothing. Those dresses, while cute, may not be comfortable for you during the long recruitment rounds.

Are you from AZ? Or coming from out of state?

ETA: hit the send button too soon. The first dress is cute and the second one - no. Tucson can handle the short length, it's not a problem. It's the print that's way too dizzying. You might not feel good in that dress during recruitment but it sure is cute.

First round: wear nice shorts and cute top(s). that's what the actives will be wearing. Take it up just a notch with a unique piece of jewelry (e.g. I wear a necklace that people comment on and it's a great convo starter).

Second round: again, nice shorts outfit or cute sundress.

Third round: cute sundress would be great. I liked what Elizabeth Edwards' daughter said about her mother's advice: "you'll never regret solids, you'll always regret prints". HOWEVER I know there are really cute prints out there for 18 year olds.

Preference: You know how to dress up pretty, this round is the easiest, IMO.

Frankly I suck at fashion advice; I know what works for me, but don't excel at "dress the pnm" at all. WHERE IS ellebud? She's familiar with my campus. bear_down, cherry sonata, can you help out here? AZ-Alpha Xi has seen the open house rounds and she can certainly tell you what NOT to wear!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity

Last edited by AZTheta; 07-16-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
AZ-Alpha Xi has seen the open house rounds and she can certainly tell you what NOT to wear!
You wouldn't believe what I've seen cruzin' sorority row during open house rounds. Don't wear .. torn jean and/or jean shorts, shorts that show (as my father would have said) "possible", tube tops that are to low, tube tops that show middrift love handles, torn t-shirts. Do wear cute shorts and shirt, very casual sun-dress (this isn't the SEC) and above all comfortable shoes .. you're going to be walking alot and it will be hot!

As been said before, you're dressing to impress other women not guys.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriana View Post
Oh yeah, I am definitely not an expert on U of A recruitment but based on the website the OP linked, it still seems inappropriate. All of the dresses were a-line.
Yeah, I know, but what is shown and what is worn are often two different things. That's why I was waiting for these two. AZ- Alpha Xi has told some stories of what PNMs where. It usually included the words short and tight so I didnt want to judge til they had a look.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 07-16-2011, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

My general take on recruitment fashion: (since we are westerners and our fashion take is different than in the SEC).

Short skirts...fine. But not so short that they are two inches south of the border. In Los Angeles (which is similar to Arizona) we don't do "Church appropriate"...But don't do Hollywood Boulevard at 3 a.m. either.

One of the dresses stood alone: YOU are the star here, not the dress.

Totally correct about never wearing very short shorts and flipflops. A friend's daughter did......not so much.

Jewelry: My daughter recommends the Tiffany (style or real) bracelet OR necklace. Not too much. Jewelry is an accent. Please nothing that jangles.

If your school does shorts, team them with an interesting blouse. Wife beater thing is a little old.

I would take a look at US Weekly to see what is in with the young celebs. You don't have to go line to line (they get their expensive stuff for free), but you can really get an idea of what is trendy, great for summer casual and dress (ier).
Old 07-16-2011, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebud View Post

Short skirts...fine. But not so short that they are two inches south of the border. In Los Angeles (which is similar to Arizona) we don't do "Church appropriate"...But don't do Hollywood Boulevard at 3 a.m. either.
Ellebud, you crack me up. Love your way with words.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:37 PM

Like on Fashion Police..."Starlet or Streetwalker?" LOL
Old 07-18-2011, 09:37 PM
Banned

PNMs, please realize that once you start posting specific outfits you're going to be wearing here, it won't be hard for people at your school who happen to read GC to figure out who you are during recruitment.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks guys, I think I've figured out what to wear.