GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,468
3 members and 1,465 guests
Cookiez17, g41965, JayhawkAOII

Old 01-02-2010, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Membership Intake Moratorium

Click here for the news release available on the national website.

Note that the brotherhood will not be discussing this matter further on GreekChat.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dreamseeker
I think this is a good move.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

News no one ever wants to hear. Surely with good intentions, aimed at longevity for your (and every NPHC) organization.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow. That's a really, really big deal.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 01-03-2010, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

This seems like an interesting idea. I wonder what other measures Alpha Phi Alpha will be taking to prevent hazing in the future. Also are there chapters small enough that they need to do intake every year? What happens to them?

Of course these are all rhetorical questions.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dreamseeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Of course these are all rhetorical questions.
lol
Old 01-03-2010, 06:36 AM
GreekChat Member

alrighty then.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 01-03-2010, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow is right. I appreciated the way the letter from Mr. Mason just comes right out with it - the decision, the reasons, action plan and reassurance to the members. I know Alpha Phi Alpha to be an excellent organization and this just reaffirms, for me, how members from top to bottom strive to truly exemplify the organization's values.

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 02-05-2010, 08:42 AM
GreekChat Member

wITHOUT sharing the details, did anyone read Bro. Parks recommendations
Old 02-05-2010, 08:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor View Post
wITHOUT sharing the details, did anyone read Bro. Parks recommendations
No, but he's spamming about it.

Seriously. He sent 2 separate emails to owners of the pretty much defunct Sorority Alumnae yahoo group (which has no Alphas as members, for reasons that should be pretty clear) on I think Wednesday:

Quote:
Greetings All:

For many months now, my colleagues and I have been working on an alternative to the Membership Intake Process. Our proposal is drawn heavily from a systematic review of scholarship across many disciplines, legal statutes and court cases, etc. Since Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. has publicly issued a national moratorium on Intake, we've done the first roll-out of our proposal among members and leaders within Alpha. If you are an Alpha member and interested in seeing the proposal, please contact your chapter president, area director, district/assistant district director, or regional vice president/assistant vice-president for a copy of the 23-page proposal. We hope to roll out a more general version many months from now.

Best,

Gregory S. Parks, J.D., Ph.D. www.gregoryparks.net http://ssrn.com/author=700123
Old 02-05-2010, 08:51 AM
GreekChat Member

My district director sent it out to all the Brothers. I thought it was very well documented and I liked much of what was referenced. Take a look at it.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:52 AM
Banned

I am perplexed about why Dr. Parks would be soliciting support in seemingly random places where he is more than capable of just sending this info to every graduate and collegiate chapter.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
I am perplexed about why Dr. Parks would be soliciting support in seemingly random places where he is more than capable of just sending this info to every graduate and collegiate chapter.
That was kind of my take on it when I got the random emails, and also why this post caught my attention. I know nothing about the situation, I know very little about Alpha Phi Alpha in general (besides that it has some awesome members!), but I think many people found it interesting for a GLO to have a moratorium on new members.

As an outsider to the situation, I question the motives of someone "reaching out" about this internal issue to sources outside of the organization. It makes me think that it isn't just the best interests of the particular GLO he has in mind, but perhaps how he could "market" his solutions to other GLOs.

Just my two sense as an outsider who received what seemed to be a solicitation about this situation. I'll swerve back in my own lane now.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
...but I think many people found it interesting for a GLO to have a moratorium on new members.
In general, it has happened before in BGLOdom and it is something that BGLO members sometimes joke about being in support of. Many BGLOers that I have interacted with don't find it shocking or particularly interesting. LOL. And we know that Alpha is capable of addressing the issue of aspirants and small chapters during this moratorium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
As an outsider to the situation, I question the motives of someone "reaching out" about this internal issue to sources outside of the organization. It makes me think that it isn't just the best interests of the particular GLO he has in mind, but perhaps how he could "market" his solutions to other GLOs.
I definitely see why you feel this way.

As for why he wouldn't just send it to chapters, those methods may be too formal and controlled on the part of APhiA. It seems as though Dr. Parks has done a great job of marketing himself via the Internet and using technology to further whatever his agendas are.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
It seems as though Dr. Parks has done a great job of marketing himself via the Internet and using technology to further whatever his agendas are.
Indeed.