GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,467
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Bioxtrim
» Online Users: 1,463
0 members and 1,463 guests
No Members online

Old 02-27-2008, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
Do they really need 3 candy-covered almonds wrapped up in tulle? (yes, got that one time)
These are Jordan Almonds and the Italians refer to it as Confetti. It is a long standing Italian tradition (my great grandparents even did it in the late 1800s). You are NOT supposed to eat those! You are supposed to put them under your pillow that night and you will dream about who you are going to marry.

ETA: I wish people would just go back to matchbooks. I always had matches back then. Now, you need a match and there are none to be found anywhere. You used to get them at every restaurant, hotel, etc. for free. They are practically an endangered species now.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-27-2008, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Quote:
Originally Posted by sageofages View Post
uh.....we are in Iowa so hardly "Pittsburgh" thought out here.

My daughter had a outdoor wedding/reception at a local lilac aboretum. She wanted a small ceremony and cake/punch reception immediately following.

The bells were painted cream and lilac with calla lillies and lilac clusters attached with lavender ribbon. They worked because the plates were a clear plastic and didn't clink .
no no! I meant that at every Pittsburgh wedding I've ever been too (and I've been to a *lot* as a photographer), everyone always bangs the drink glasses with the silverware to get the bride and groom to kiss, rather than ring bells. Pittsburgh's full of weird wedding traditions, such as the cookie table. Although I must confess that the cookie table is one of the things I'm looking forward to most at my own wedding.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAzul View Post
no no! I meant that at every Pittsburgh wedding I've ever been too (and I've been to a *lot* as a photographer), everyone always bangs the drink glasses with the silverware to get the bride and groom to kiss, rather than ring bells. Pittsburgh's full of weird wedding traditions, such as the cookie table. Although I must confess that the cookie table is one of the things I'm looking forward to most at my own wedding.

No, our extended family (Chicago-Calumet region) has been known to chip china banging on them to get the bridal couple to kiss. At my wedding, I thought I was going to have to deny my one uncle silverware because he was teasing the heck out of me....I guess when I was little and he got married, I really really enjoyed that little tradition ! (Paybacks are double!)
Old 02-27-2008, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappamd View Post
No. I don't know what it is about candles and mirrors, but I think "cheap" everytime.
THANK YOU! I don't mind a few votives here and there but absolutely NOT on top of mirrors. Yeah, I'm trying to be as inexpensive as possible but I want to also avoid anything looking cheap or tacky and I know it can be done for not much money.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
These are Jordan Almonds and the Italians refer to it as Confetti. It is a long standing Italian tradition (my great grandparents even did it in the late 1800s). You are NOT supposed to eat those! You are supposed to put them under your pillow that night and you will dream about who you are going to marry.
Oh, really? I've never heard of that! Well then they should have included a cute little note about that tied to the lovely ribbon around the tulle because I don't think anyone knew that tradition (plus, what if you're already married? do you dream about your spouse?). People were ripping in to them and snacking at the table, I gave mine to the couple next to us because I'm not a fan of Jordan Almonds (I knew they had a name ). Plus, neither the bride nor the groom were Italian, so I'm not sure what they were thinking with that favor then, either...
Old 02-27-2008, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilzetakitten View Post
My FI and I are doing rock candy in our wedding colors. One of the groomsmen has sworn to vigilantly pick up any rock candy left behind.

As for the donations thing, I'm really not a fan. Not that I'm against donating... I'm against donating and then telling everyone you know about what a great thing you just did. I think that should be more of a private thing. Additionally, there's no such thing as a charity without controversy... you really don't want a guest leaving offended because you donated to a charity that they're very much against.
Rock candy is an awesome idea since you can get it in your colors and it's so yummy!!!! ::drool::

And who would be offended by saving some boobies?
Old 02-27-2008, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Cookie table??? Ahhhh, do tell us more. Never heard of that one.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SthrnZeta View Post
Rock candy is an awesome idea since you can get it in your colors and it's so yummy!!!! ::drool::

And who would be offended by saving some boobies?
Thank you! If no one else takes it then I'll probably end up rotting the teeth out of my head eating about 100 pieces of rock candy

And about the charities: usually, what they stand for isn't the problem, it's how they operate, what/who they associate with, how they go about fixing whatever problem they're supposed to be dealing with, etc.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTABullwinkle
I have to agree with many of the previous posters on here who say favors usually end up in a drawer or the trash. I was reading this blog, Weddingbee, and someone posted this idea. I think it is a great way for your guests to have a voice in your donation, but not paying for favors that are going to end up in the trash. This is how I plan on doing my "favors."

Weddingbee: Sweet Charity

"Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget, falls drop by drop upon our hearts. Until against our will comes the wisdom of God."
Old 02-27-2008, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Wife'79 View Post
Cookie table??? Ahhhh, do tell us more. Never heard of that one.
Oh man, the cookie table is the best part of a Pittsburgh wedding. Typically, all the women in the families bake their best cookies, and bring them to the reception (or give them to the Mother o' the Bride a few days before). Then they're spread out on a table, with either little boxes or plates (some people just use their napkins...we're not posh!) and load up on all the different cookies. It's sort of a bonus favor. Apparently it's a sort of "family pride" thing. Most brides get a wee book with the recipe cards as well.

One wedding we went to this summer had 120 DOZEN (that's right, 1,440 cookies) cookies baked by the brides grandmother ALONE.

A bride on a wedding site I frequent used this description, framed, on her cookie table to break it down to the out-of-towners:

The Cookie Table

The cookie table is a Pittsburgh tradition attributed to the collaborative culinary efforts of many ethnic groups. Nobody knows the exact origin of the tradition; it may be Italian or Slovak or Polish or Croatian or Greek. The Scandinavians may get involved, and the Indians, too. The Germans do cookies, and so do the Irish. Certainly, the cookie table is an outward symbol of the support and love which the bride and groom receive from all of their friends and family, no matter what their heritage. In fact, it’s symbolic of what makes America great: a medley of cultures taking the best of each. In this case, it’s favorite family cookie recipes.

There may be no greater tribute to cross-cultural friends and marriages than a Pittsburgh cookie table.

- Adapted from “The Cookie Table: A Pittsburgh Tradition”, by Suzanne Martinson

And number two:

These cookies were all homemade by the mother of the bride, sisters, aunts, cousins and grandmothers. Extended family got involved, too. Friends - of everyone involved today - jumped into the mix. The cookie table truly is the gift of love.

[Bride] and [Groom] truly thank, from the bottom of their hearts, everyone involved in the production of this cookie table and in every aspect of this day. There is no way that we could ever adequately express our gratitude. So simply: Thank you.

And remember, in Pittsburgh, people don’t wonder, “How was the wedding?” They ask, “Were the cookies good?”

Last edited by PhoenixAzul; 02-27-2008 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

OMG that is awesome. I would love to see a cookie table. Army wives historically have cookie exchanges within their "coffee groups" and it is so much fun to taste everyones "best" recipes. Maybe I should email D and tell her to keep an eye out for boys from Pennsylvania.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I LOVE the whole cookie table idea - especially if the bride gets a cookbook with all the recipes.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAzul View Post
Oh man, the cookie table is the best part of a Pittsburgh wedding. Typically, all the women in the families bake their best cookies, and bring them to the reception (or give them to the Mother o' the Bride a few days before). Then they're spread out on a table, with either little boxes or plates (some people just use their napkins...we're not posh!) and load up on all the different cookies. It's sort of a bonus favor. Apparently it's a sort of "family pride" thing. Most brides get a wee book with the recipe cards as well.

One wedding we went to this summer had 120 DOZEN (that's right, 1,440 cookies) cookies baked by the brides grandmother ALONE.

A bride on a wedding site I frequent used this description, framed, on her cookie table to break it down to the out-of-towners:

The Cookie Table

The cookie table is a Pittsburgh tradition attributed to the collaborative culinary efforts of many ethnic groups. Nobody knows the exact origin of the tradition; it may be Italian or Slovak or Polish or Croatian or Greek. The Scandinavians may get involved, and the Indians, too. The Germans do cookies, and so do the Irish. Certainly, the cookie table is an outward symbol of the support and love which the bride and groom receive from all of their friends and family, no matter what their heritage. In fact, it’s symbolic of what makes America great: a medley of cultures taking the best of each. In this case, it’s favorite family cookie recipes.

There may be no greater tribute to cross-cultural friends and marriages than a Pittsburgh cookie table.

And number two:

These cookies were all homemade by the mother of the bride, sisters, aunts, cousins and grandmothers. Extended family got involved, too. Friends - of everyone involved today - jumped into the mix. The cookie table truly is the gift of love.

[Bride] and [Groom] truly thank, from the bottom of their hearts, everyone involved in the production of this cookie table and in every aspect of this day. There is no way that we could ever adequately express our gratitude. So simply: Thank you.

And remember, in Pittsburgh, people don’t wonder, “How was the wedding?” They ask, “Were the cookies good?”

Note to self....

Have a cookie table at the next spawnling to get married reception.

LOVE the idea!
Old 02-27-2008, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
I find this fascinating. I've been going to weddings for decades and had never even heard of the idea of favors until 3 or 4 years ago. Maybe its a regional thing. But to me they just seem like something the wedding consultant industry dreamed up -- kind of the nuptiul equivalent of a Hallmark Holiday. Something else to waste money on.

As for idea of charitable contributions, that seems nice and all, but I'm still flummoxed -- I've been invited to witness the exchange of vows (that is what it's all about, after all), I've been given my fill of good stuff to eat and drink, I may have danced, I've had a good time . . . . that's plenty! Why do the bride and groom need to give me a little gift (that I probably don't really want) or make a donation in my honor? I just don't get it.

I guess it's obvious we didn't have favors at our wedding?
I don't want them at mine, I'd rather spend money on good food and booze for my guests, maybe an environmentally friendly way to travel as a group (boat, horse drawn sleds/carriages, etc.) or for centerpieces people could take. I am on a planning committee for an annual event and we buy flowers from a student group on campus that grows them as a fund raiser so we are supporting the local students and allowing guests who choose to care for a plant that could potentially live for a very long time. I snagged a pansy one last year for a dear Theta friend. People really liked the flowers and it was one less thing to clean up since they took them away.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm having favors at my wedding this May. I wasn't going to at first but my mom and wedding planner convinced me and I had it in my budget. I believe it is a regional tradition because it's popular in some Southern towns and not others. I am doing MS Cheese Straws (made in MS) in little bags. They are really yummy too!
http://www.mscheesestraws.com/cheese...FTOKEN=7259962