GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,323
4 members and 1,319 guests
MSKKG

Old 02-09-2013, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

UNCAlum, we are paddling in the same boat. My daughter went thru formal rush last year and got cut from my beloved ZTA as well. She had two groups on her list for pref day, but got horribly sick on the night before the parties and I had to go get her from school. She rushed again this year and was cut from ALL of the groups. Two weeks after bid day, she was called by a group on campus that she had been highly recommended and that they had not filled all of their bids and would like her to come to a meet and greet that evening. I encouraged her to go. They offerered her a bid, but it has been very awkward for her. She is sticking it out right now and I'm sure that once she actually starts her pledge classes (or whatever they are calling them these days), she'll learn to love lions and the gift of sisterhood. I'm just anxious for her to get her big sister and start feeling included. As moms, we wear our hearts on our sleeves and it's so painful to have to watch our babies experience the rejection they feel during the emotional roller coaster that is recruitment.

Alpha Delta Pi Mom, Zeta Chi Chapter 2013
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-09-2013, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay!
Old 02-09-2013, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

What a wonderful ending - big congratulations to your daughter on Kappa, and to you for sharing the happy news with us!

Come over to Badge Trends and do a search to check out all the awesome Kappa badges. It's pretty widely known that I love those keys (and arrows, and anchors, and quills, and stacked letters, and diamonds, and quatrefoils, and triangles...and on and on and on...).
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity

Last edited by AZTheta; 02-09-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUZTA83 View Post
They offerered her a bid, but it has been very awkward for her. She is sticking it out right now and I'm sure that once she actually starts her pledge classes (or whatever they are calling them these days), she'll learn to love lions and the gift of sisterhood.
The girls in this chapter are so sweet and welcoming and have a wonderful sisterhood and philanthropy program--please keep us posted! I'm sure she will feel better as she goes through her new member program. I know how hard it must be for both of you and I worry the same thing for my daughter when her time comes. Moms have it rough!
Old 02-09-2013, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
It's pretty widely known that I love those keys (and arrows, and anchors, and quills, and stacked letters, and diamonds, and quatrefoils, and triangles...and on and on and on...).
Seriously, is there a badge you don't love?

BTW UNCAlum, mind telling us which badge you wear? I understand if you'd rather not, at least in this thread. But I hope you'll stick around.

Congrats again to your daughter. She's joining a great chapter!
Old 02-09-2013, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADPiEE View Post
The girls in this chapter are so sweet and welcoming and have a wonderful sisterhood and philanthropy program--please keep us posted! I'm sure she will feel better as she goes through her new member program. I know how hard it must be for both of you and I worry the same thing for my daughter when her time comes. Moms have it rough!
And a quick search around here will show you that plenty of women who have perfect recruitments and get a bid to their dream chapter STILL feel awkward during the NM time. There's a lot going on at once, emotions run high, etc.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations to your daughter! So glad she found a home
Old 02-09-2013, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations! So happy it's over for you and just beginning for your daughter!
Old 02-09-2013, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Congratulations to your daughter, UNCAlum! I love happy endings!
Old 02-09-2013, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

You all are the BEST! Seriously! She is so happy and I truly feel that her new home is such a great fit for her! I was a Kappa Delta in the early 90's, and I will always love KD because it was MY home. KD was the best fit for me then, and I am still close with many of my sisters. I have no hard feelings about them releasing her during Formal Recruitment, because it enabled her to find her own home. She is about to carve out HER college experience, and she did it on her own merits and will always know that they wanted her as much as she wanted them!
Old 02-09-2013, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Hurray for your daughter and her new home!! :-)
Old 02-09-2013, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCalum View Post
You all are the BEST! Seriously! She is so happy and I truly feel that her new home is such a great fit for her! I was a Kappa Delta in the early 90's, and I will always love KD because it was MY home. KD was the best fit for me then, and I am still close with many of my sisters. I have no hard feelings about them releasing her during Formal Recruitment, because it enabled her to find her own home. She is about to carve out HER college experience, and she did it on her own merits and will always know that they wanted her as much as she wanted them!
What an absolutely wonderful perspective.

Congrats to your daughter!
Old 02-09-2013, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCalum View Post
Congratulations that you found your own "Kappa" sisterhood, Kappa Delta for you and Kappa Kappa Gamma for your daughter!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 02-09-2013, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

SUZTA83, I completely understand where you are coming from! It's almost harder watching your child go through recruitment than it is to go through it yourself! I hope your daughter finds her niche at ADPi!
Old 02-09-2013, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay for K- K - G! Gotta love a kappa ending!