GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,379
3 members and 1,376 guests
AlwaysSAI, chironthearcher

Old 11-24-2014, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi, I'm Resigning

I have many questions in resignation from my sorority. It's a frustrating process and I'm about to punch a "sister".
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-24-2014, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I would like to go forth an explain myself here. I wasn't used to this forum format.

I am currently a member of Alpha Sigma Tau. I'm not a big fan of it. I turned in my letter already and I just don't even want to know anything about it any longer. It's nonprofessional and it's become a burden on me. I currently owe $200.08, most of the money is national dues, and a quarter of it is T-shirts and other shit I didn't need nor want, but apparently required. I gave all of my paraphernalia back, and the only thing I am getting harassed is the money. To make things short, paying AST back is the least of my priorities. VERY bottom of the list. I don't want to pay anything because I left with nothing nor do I want to remember anything. What will happen if I don't pay, and to what point will this turn into a legal suit?

I appreciate any response. Thank you.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

If you don't pay, after a set amount of time, they will send your account to collections. You will start receiving phone calls every day and it will show up on your credit report. The amount of time before they give up trying to nicely collect on your financial obligation will depend on policy which may be set at a local or national level. Your treasurer or financial advisor would have more detailed information on the process.

You could try sitting down with your advisory board to work out an arrangement. You might be able to get them to waive the cost of the shirts and just have you pay the national fees for the semester.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRose1912 View Post
If you don't pay, after a set amount of time, they will send your account to collections. You will start receiving phone calls every day and it will show up on your credit report. The amount of time before they give up trying to nicely collect on your financial obligation will depend on policy which may be set at a local or national level. Your treasurer or financial advisor would have more detailed information on the process.

You could try sitting down with your advisory board to work out an arrangement. You might be able to get them to waive the cost of the shirts and just have you pay the national fees for the semester.
Also depending on the degree of poor relations with the sisters of your former chapter, you might want to contact the HQ of that org. explain your situation, and your expressed desire to no longer affiliate and see if you can work something out with them about the remaining balance if they are national dues or they can at least explain the process/policies for non-payment.

Last edited by andthen; 11-24-2014 at 04:57 PM. Reason: needed to complete my thought
Old 11-24-2014, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Accounts are turned over to a third party, which is usually not shy about harrassing you and tying up your credit report for years.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:50 PM

also, I hope you have dated copies of your resignation letter and anything you've received from the sorority.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorG View Post
I would like to go forth an explain myself here. I wasn't used to this forum format.

I am currently a member of Alpha Sigma Tau. I'm not a big fan of it. I turned in my letter already and I just don't even want to know anything about it any longer. It's nonprofessional and it's become a burden on me. I currently owe $200.08, most of the money is national dues, and a quarter of it is T-shirts and other shit I didn't need nor want, but apparently required. I gave all of my paraphernalia back, and the only thing I am getting harassed is the money. To make things short, paying AST back is the least of my priorities. VERY bottom of the list. I don't want to pay anything because I left with nothing nor do I want to remember anything. What will happen if I don't pay, and to what point will this turn into a legal suit?

Pay your damn bills. You may regret it now, but when you pledged and initiated into your sorority, you knew that there would be financial obligations. YOU signed the bid card. YOU went through initiation. So make the responsible decision to pay your bills. It will go on your credit report, if it goes to a third party and to collections--that will follow you for 7 years.

Part of being an adult is knowing that there are still consequences for your decisions, even if you change your mind.

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I am currently a member of (NPC sorority). I'm not a big fan of it. I turned in my letter already and I just don't even want to know anything about it any longer. It's nonprofessional and it's become a burden on me. I currently owe $200.08, most of the money is national dues, and a quarter of it is T-shirts and other shit I didn't need nor want, but apparently required. I gave all of my paraphernalia back, and the only thing I am getting harassed is the money. To make things short, paying (NPC sorority) back is the least of my priorities. VERY bottom of the list. I don't want to pay anything because I left with nothing nor do I want to remember anything. What will happen if I don't pay, and to what point will this turn into a legal suit?

Wow, just tacky. You went out of your way to mention the organization and speak disparagingly about it. I've taken the liberty of removing the GLO's name from your initial post out of respect for my NPC sisters. You didn't have to call them unprofessional and a burden. If you don't pay your bill, people usually come to collect the money. Welcome to the real world. You don't have to come on here and tell us you intend to resign. Just do it. No post needed. Go pay your bill or don't pay your bill and get collections agencies to call and bother you but, certainly don't come on Greek Chat and speak horribly about this organization.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Seems like the perfect place for this blog post.

http://intentionaltjs.com/you-gotta-pay-your-bill/
Old 11-24-2014, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
Wow, just tacky. You went out of your way to mention the organization and speak disparagingly about it. I've taken the liberty of removing the GLO's name from your initial post out of respect for my NPC sisters. You didn't have to call them unprofessional and a burden. If you don't pay your bill, people usually come to collect the money. Welcome to the real world. You don't have to come on here and tell us you intend to resign. Just do it. No post needed. Go pay your bill or don't pay your bill and get collections agencies to call and bother you but, certainly don't come on Greek Chat and speak horribly about this organization.
I think by "nonprofessional" and a "burden" she meant it isn't a group that has anything to do with her future career and those are the only groups she cares to belong to or spend money on.

The organization she belongs to really isn't the point and I doubt her post will make anyone think badly of AST.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I think by "nonprofessional" and a "burden" she meant it isn't a group that has anything to do with her future career and those are the only groups she cares to belong to or spend money on.

The organization she belongs to really isn't the point and I doubt her post will make anyone think badly of AST.
Regardless of how she meant it, it is still in bad taste to say things about an organization like that because she chose not to pay her bill.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:59 PM

It would be helpful if she would have mentioned how long ago she submitted her resignation. If she resigned last spring and they sent her a bill that includes this semester, and/or she still hasn't received final notice of her termination, yeah, I would be irritated too.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
It would be helpful if she would have mentioned how long ago she submitted her resignation. If she resigned last spring and they sent her a bill that includes this semester, and/or she still hasn't received final notice of her termination, yeah, I would be irritated too.
Good point. This is true. Even being annoyed with getting a bill, however, doesn't exactly warrant a hateful post on GC for the world to see. You are right about getting upset with bills being sent after the fact, though. I just think that with her attitude, AST dodged a bullet when she decided to resign her membership.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:55 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree with both of you, 33girl and als463.

1) Most people who come here complaining about their sorority and saying they want to resign usually have the courtesy to not name the group outright.

2) Even though VictorG named AST, I find it funny that she actually considered this to be an "explanation". I'm not concerned about her ruining our reputation in the least.

Quote:

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 11-25-2014 at 02:00 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:00 AM
GreekChat Member

If $200 is a "burden" to her (small change in the real world) nd her solution is to ignore the debt, she has many painful life lessons ahead of her. She might also want to sink an extra $10 into a book on professionalism (her approach and writing is clearly unprofessional) and one on grammar.