GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,213
1 members and 2,212 guests
Xidelt

Old 04-23-2010, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Makeup - Not Wearing It

The posts in this thread has some good advice, but I have a question.

I don't wear makeup. I never have, unless it was for very special occasions and my family and friends strapped me down to a chair to put it on.

That doesn't mean I don't take care of myself. I keep my hair brushed and my nails trimmed. I keep myself in good hygienic shape.

I'm not going to start wearing makeup for rush, but I keep reading advice that says to at least wear something. Will this cause a problem for me? It's not that I'm trying to disrespecting the sororities or the process...I just don't wear it.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-23-2010, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Why don't you wear makeup? If you don't like it, fine. Allergic, fine. Don't have the time? (I'll help with that one.) Don't like the look? Fine.

If you don't have the time to do makeup, get your lashes dyed. (I know that since you live near me you can go to the valley (not the Conejo one) and find a salon to do it. That and lipgloss and you look polished. Don't like the look of makeup? You're going to the wrong line. Go to Neimans (in the valley) or BH and go to the counter that looks the most natural and ask them to help.

But, if not wearing makeup is you. Fine. Don't wear it.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueStar View Post

I don't wear makeup. I never have, unless it was for very special occasions and my family and friends strapped me down to a chair to put it on.

That doesn't mean I don't take care of myself. I keep my hair brushed and my nails trimmed. I keep myself in good hygienic shape.

I'm not going to start wearing makeup for rush, but I keep reading advice that says to at least wear something. Will this cause a problem for me? It's not that I'm trying to disrespecting the sororities or the process...I just don't wear it.
Rush IS a very special occasion.

However, if makeup makes you more uncomfortable than confident, I would not wear it.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I don't either, and if you have good skin like I do, no one can tell anyway. If you want to do something subtle, wear a light lip gloss and maybe some mascara. Recruitment is about looking classy anyway, so you wouldn't be wearing heavy makeup like your going out.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 04-23-2010, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

If I started Rush tomorrow, I'd be too uncomfortable to wear it. Honestly, I don't know how to apply it properly. I never really learned and have grown accustomed to not wearing it.

That being said, I may just go to Neimans over the summer and ask for help. Maybe I'll learn a thing or two and look polished (and feel confident about it) in time for Rush this fall.

Thank you for the local advice.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

How about some coverup and powder? We don't need to see our reflection on your forehead.

If rush isn't a very special occasion, I don't know what is.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

kddani, I don't want you to see your reflection either. I didn't mean infer that Rush isn't a special occasion; I've done an insane amount of reading up on the process because I want to make the most of it and do my best. It's just that makeup has always been a weird point of contention for me.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

If the OP is rushing in SoCal and is doing fall recruitment it is HOT here, but not humid. So, if skin isn't oily the shine isn't as big a problem. HOWEVER, Bare Minerals (I believe) and other kinds of powdery base, looks extremely natural. It is very easy to apply, just try it a few times.

Don't discount the eyelash tint. It lasts for about a month. You don't have to think about mascara. Just try in in July first to make sure that you aren't allergic. (My girls and I go to Aida Thibiant for lash dyes. One less thing to think about in the morning.)
Old 04-23-2010, 07:06 PM

Recruitment is a lot like interviewing for a job. It doesnt take a lot, but I would wear just enough to look put together/polished/evened out.

I would recommend Bare Minerals highly if you like a very soft natural look that doesnt take a lot of time. Any Bare Minerals counter or store will help you with that. The ladies in Sephora and Ulta should be able to as well.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

The following suggestions are meant to enhance your natural beauty while looking "put together".

1. No matter what you do, exfoliate (gently) and moisturize! Not only your face, but all over. At the least, the skin that's showing.

2. Clean up your eyebrows (get them waxed or pluck them at least 24 hours before). You don't have to go crazy, just the stray hairs.

3a. If you have flawless skin, you can get away with lip gloss and mascara. Go for a non-goopy, non-sparkly lip gloss that matches your lip shade (to enhance it). A swipe of mascara opens your eyes. You can get black to make your eyes look bigger, or a tinted (not technicolor) mascara to enhance the color of your eyes.

3b. If you want to even out your skin tone, take a dime sized amount of moisturizer and a dime sized amount of foundation, mix in palms, and pat it on your face with fingertips or a makeup sponge.

4. Mineral powder is great to dust all over your face, but don't pat it on or you'll look too matte. Use a fluffy brush.

5. Shape your nails and use clear or tinted pink (delicate) nail polish.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
If I started Rush tomorrow, I'd be too uncomfortable to wear it. Honestly, I don't know how to apply it properly. I never really learned and have grown accustomed to not wearing it.

That being said, I may just go to Neimans over the summer and ask for help. Maybe I'll learn a thing or two and look polished (and feel confident about it) in time for Rush this fall.

Thank you for the local advice.
Three things can make you appear to have spent WAY more time than you did on your make up routine:

Mascara, blush, and lip gloss. If you want to look really natural, buy a very sheer lip gloss at the drug store. Look for something like Burt's Bees Lip Shimmers because it isn't an actual gloss and feels just like chap stick. You won't feel like you're wearing Elmer's glue on your lips, and it's very subtle. If you have light hair/lashes/brows buy a brown mascara. If you have dark hair, try a brown-black. It is more subtle than straight black. Get a waterproof mascara to make sure it doesn't budge. And then buy a blush that is close to your skin tone...in other words, if you have fair skin, don't buy magenta blush. Get either cream blush or a sheer mineral blush. Both of these options are light and not greasy.

All of this can come from the drug store and will make you appear extremely polished without feeling goopy. If you're unsure about the products, try a Walgreens or department store where a consultant can help you...but beware of spending big bucks at a make up counter in Neiman's. They'll try to sell you full face make up, eye shadow, etc. If you know you don't want THAT much make up, be firm from the beginning. You want only mascara, a sheer gloss, and a subtle blush. If you ever find your face getting shiny buy some blotting sheets from a drug store. They're around $5 and come in a blue package, usually with the face washes. You simply blot them across your face and shine disappears without putting anything else on your face.

If you'll lose confidence from wearing mascara, blush, and gloss, don't do it. BUT make up isn't just about appearance, it's also a way of saying you spent that little extra time on your appearance, and sometimes that can really help you during Recruitment. Obviously its most important to be clean and well groomed and since you have that covered, you'll be ok either way, but I'd go for those three items if you think you can. I also buy clear nail polish for occasions when I need to look polished...it keeps your nails from breaking and it also makes you look so put together. I don't know why that is, but it's true. Just that little touch makes a difference, and you won't need to worry about chipping.

You could do all of this (mascara, blush, gloss, blotting sheets, and clear polish) for around $20 if you go the drug store route and don't buy brand names. For these items, drug store brand will be every bit as good.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 04-23-2010, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

A comment on the drug stores- most have a fantastic return policy. Go to Neimen's or wherever to get an idea of the colors & techniques that work for you, then find good substitutes at Walgreens, Rite Aid, Target, etc. If you are picking between colors or brands, buy them both and try them out. You can return what doesn't work. Don't abuse it, of course, but I've done this quite a few times when I want to try something new. Verify before you buy- they're very open about the policies and some even have big banners advertising the policy.

+1 to Burts Bees. I tend to like sheer red colors because they look more natural on me (brown hair, fair skin)- pink is usually too pale or just too different. So don't be afraid to try a sheer red if pinks haven't been your thing in the past. Their Super Shiny in Zesty Red is my usual day gloss... when I remember to put it on

Last edited by thetygerlily; 04-23-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:34 PM

The idea of properly applied makeup is to enhance your natural beauty and downplay or disguise any flaws. If you look like you applied your eyeshadow and lipstick with paint rollers, you're doing it wrong. Think about how you'd want to look at a job interview. If you're not accustomed to wearing makeup, I suggest that you wear a bit of lip gloss as a bare minimum.

Good luck with rush.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:21 PM

Totally forgot she was in SoCal and probably has a tan which alleviates a LOT of the need for makeup.

I know there are a lot of Bare Minerals fans on here, but my experience with it has been that it does take time to learn to apply correctly and some women using it NEVER get it. If you're tan, and wary of makeup as it is, just using blotting sheets is probably easier.

As far as lip balm, look into the Burts Bees or Terra Tints. BB is everywhere and you can find Terra Tints at Whole Foods or similar type stores. You'll be out in the sun a lot and talking a lot and you need something to keep your lips moist. This adds a hint of color and is practically impossible to screw up.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

TrueStar,

You and I sound similar. I am not a fan of make-up...never have been and likely never will be. I was a competitive figure skater growing up and I couldn't stand having to wear make up for competitions. People would ask why I don't like it....I just don't. I was sort of ok with a little bit of foundation and powder to even out my skin or if it was getting a little oily. However, I especially don't like lipstick or gloss. Bleh! Never! I had a good complexion and could get away with not wearing make-up.

Finally, at age 30, I realized that, as we get older, our faces age and we need to try a little harder. In addition to the foundation and light powder, I decided to give mascara a go. I will now wear it on occassion when I'm trying to look a little more polished. No eye shadow or eyeliner, just a couple dashes of the mascara. I use regular, non-tinted Burt's Bees lip balm to hydrate my lips.

Go back and read Ree-Xi's post and, if you switch the gloss for lip balm, that just about sums up what I do.

Frankly, as someone who isn't a fan, if you don't want to wear make-up, don't. I agree that, if it would only serve to make you feel uncomfortable or "fake", it's probably better to go without. If you think you can manage a little make-up, it can help polish you up just enough to show you made the effort.

.....Kelly

True and Constant

Last edited by navane; 04-23-2010 at 11:51 PM.