GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Lambda > Lambda Chi Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,110
0 members and 1,110 guests
No Members online

Old 09-01-2004, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to arnielxa
Hurricane

I was wondering if any chapters in North Western Florida or Georgia would be willing to house a few brothers over the weekend. The entire east coast of florida is looking to be hit really hard by this storm. We have been looking for hotels, most of which are booked, Im sure the Florida Tech guys may be in need of the same. If you could help out it would be very much appreciated. If the hurrican stays in the projected path it will hit Daytona sometime early saturday with the winds topping out at over 150mph around midday. Right now we are hoping the storm pushs away from us but it is no looking good. Anyway I gotta run and pack some stuff up...thanks

In ZAX,
Chris Arnold
Old 09-02-2004, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Chris,

It's very nice of you to think about the brothers at your chapter and at ours too. An active from Florida Tech sent this out today:

"In case you didn't know, there's a storm heading for FIT. The president cancelled classes effective at 5pm today, Wednesday September 1. All events tomorrow, Friday, and Saturday are postponed till further notice. Plan accordingly."

In response, an alumnus here in NY wrote:

"Good luck to all who may be in harms way. For those
who may have to evacuate to a shelter don't take it
for granted that they will have enough of the basics
to go around. Make sure to bring all the creature
comforts; blanket, pillow, food, snacks, deck of
cards, gameboy etc. Any extra to share could be a
great rush tool.
Be Safe."

A disaster used as a Rush tool? Why not. You guys in Florida have been battered enough by storms this year. Maybe this one will turn north at hit Long Island instead. Wait a minute what the hell am I saying???

Let's hope for the best.

In ZAX,
Jono
Florida Tech
Pres. Alumni Assoc.

"Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong."...Oscar Wilde

Last edited by JonoBN41; 09-02-2004 at 12:44 AM.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BN635
Yeah here at Florida Tech the dorms will be evacuated in the next day and pretty much all of us are headed out of town in one direction or another. Rush is looking pretty dismal becuase of this storm, seeing that we were only half way through the week when everything was canceled. We had parties scheduled for Saturday and they are canceled as well. On the bright side we are prjecting to save an assload of money!!! The presidents of the Fraternities and the IFC are meeting when we get back to see what we are going to do about this. When they come to a decision, the Zeta here will be having Zeta Retreat Part Deux to try to salvage what we can. Are there any brothers out there who have gone through something like this, and if so what did you do about it? Has any chapter had a whole semester canceled on them because of something like this (cuz that may very well happen if there is no Florida Tech)? Thanks!!
Old 09-02-2004, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

Good Luck to the Brothers in the path of the Big Blow. Be safe!!!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-02-2004, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Zach, it's gonna take more than a hurricane to bring down those bunkers.

Roberts Hall is a different story - that thing could pancake in a heartbeat. Don't EVER ever have a hurricane party on the 7th Floor. (Some day I'll tell you everything you ever wanted to know about waterbeds)

The important thing, as Tom said, is to keep yourself safe.

In ZAX,
Jono
BN41

Old 09-02-2004, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Any road trips to Kansas or Long Island.

I am sure Jono and I will be open for a visit!

Get the hell out of there Brothers.

JONO, got the package! Both, via email and postal.

Thanks Bro.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-03-2004, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Go to Spain. It's lovely in September and behind where the storm came from.

Or Georgia Tech.

Jono

Old 09-03-2004, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to EM1843
I don't know how great of an offer this is, but as of right now, our house is open. I'm staying here as long as Francis doesn't come right over UF. If you guys need anything, just let us know. I'll post more after this hurricane is gone.

IN ZAX
EM1843
Old 09-04-2004, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

If anyone has any current updates from Florida, please post them here as you get them. Even with the power out, folks can still use their cell phones to call brothers who do have power. Our chapter's listserver is down, as might be expected.

Just in the last half hour the winds here have picked up a lot, slamming the blinds around. Doesn't sound too dramatic, except I'm in New York - 1,000 miles away. There's a high pressure area over Maine, and a low to the south (aka Hurricane Frances), so the entire Atlantic seaboard is getting stong easterly winds, and the ocean is very rough.

This is a pretty incredible storm. I hope all the brothers in Florida are okay. Matt, Chris, how are you guys doing?

ZAX,
Jono

Old 09-05-2004, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Gainesville still hasn't gotten much rain. We're all just waiting for it to get here. We're not all that worried right now, because it has lost alot of strenght, but to all our FIT bros and Embry Riddle as well, good luck. If yall need some help don't hesitate to ask. I'm heading to bed, and I'll update tomorrow if I know anything and still have power.
Old 09-05-2004, 02:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to john1082 Send a message via AIM to john1082 Send a message via MSN to john1082 Send a message via Yahoo to john1082
Not much we can do

There isn't much that we can do for y'all out here in California.

But someday the earth will shake and we'll get our share. The Bay Area got smacked in '89 but the LA area is overdue for a wild ride.

GreekChat.com - The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network
Old 09-06-2004, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to arnielxa
thanks for all the replies, 16 guys from my chapter came up to UNC-C but we are looking to crash at another chapter house for a little while, it won't be all 16 of us prolly like 6 or 7. daytona is an absolute wreck, we prolly won't start school until next monday and thats if Ivan doesn't hit us.
EM: If you guys could a few of us up for a a night or two that would be great, I'll PM you with my cell
Thanks for all the support guys, Ill keep you posted
In ZAX,
Chris
Old 09-06-2004, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sure we can find some space lemme know what yall need.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BN635
Well, the house is ok. Maybe thats because we don't have one. School is going to start again on tuesday the 14th. We still don't know whats going on with rush etc... Hopefully we can still get alot of quality men. I don't see why not!!! The campus for the most part is ok but the university controlled apartments across the street I hear are in bad form. The roof of at least one of the buildings has blow off into the courtyard. At least that is what I have heard. We will keep you posted. How did the ERAU boys fare?
Old 09-08-2004, 08:53 AM
GreekChat Member

I think someone once said something about "from tragedy comes opportunity". The hurricane has presented you with a great opportunity...if appropriate, lead or participate in some sort of fund raiser to support those students in those apartments whose roof blew off (clothes, food, textbooks, whatever).

Get the colors out there and support the university in the clean-up; lead the clean-up; do something.

Show the university and its neighbors that Lambda Chi Alpha is committed to assisting those in need.

in ZAX,
Eric