GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,329
1 members and 2,328 guests
No Members online

Old 03-14-2003, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Texas Greeks

I was just wondering what the reputations are of the different greek houses at Texas Tech.. I know everyone has heard different things and im curious to hear all the opinions everyone has.!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-24-2003, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Old 03-24-2003, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Kevlar281
Well from what I understand they don’t call them houses at Tech; they call them lodges.
Old 03-24-2003, 03:08 PM
wreckingcrew

Texas Tech = Classless Clowns

Kitso
KS 361
Old 03-24-2003, 03:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
OUCH, LOL! You're a tough one Aggie

Quote:
Originally posted by AggieSigmaNu361

Kitso
KS 361
Old 03-24-2003, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Kitso-
That was a little uncalled for, wasn't it? Although I am not a Red Raider fan & thought the goal-post incident was pretty silly, it's unnecessary for you to start name-calling on this board, where Heaz was looking for legitimate feedback about the chapters on her campus. I don't think that Aggies need to resort to such antics to show pride in their alma mater. Of course, I'm sure you meant it all in fun, but its a little out of place here.

Heaz-
I have heard a little bit about the Greeks (sororities, that is) at Tech-but it is pretty general. I don't really know reputations, but my understanding is that all of the 11 groups are at or very near total, with several chapters being well over total. Fall recruitment is extremely competitive. I think the largest groups have close to 200 members (I understand that ZTA, DDD, KKG and PiPhi are the largest), and the smaller groups are around 100-or-so members from what I hear (that is a low estimate...it is hard for me to imagine that as small).

This is not to say the smaller groups are not strong--I think all of the groups are competitive. I took my kids trick-or-treating on Greek Circle last year, and although all houses were welcoming, the DGs seemed the most enthusiastic. I hear APhi is extremely active on campus & has been recognized for years as the best student organization (or something like that). Pi Phi seems very supportive of other organizations.... Other than that, I have no personal exposure to the groups. The system is well regarded nationally for having stable groups & strong results during formal recruitment. I went to Beta 500 last fall, and all of the sororities were well represented & seemed pretty enthusiastic...

I have heard little about the fraternities, but a friend is dating a Beta, and they seem to be pretty huge & active.

I know nothing about NPHC groups at Tech.

Last edited by dzandiloo; 03-24-2003 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-24-2003, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks DZANDILOO for your info! I think that the " classless clowns" are the ones that continue to bring up that one incident, because Aggies have never ever done any stupid things ....ya let me tell you...
Old 03-24-2003, 07:13 PM
wreckingcrew

Thumbs up

Quote:
joke n.

Something said or done to evoke laughter or amusement, especially an amusing story with a punch line.
A mischievous trick; a prank.
An amusing or ludicrous incident or situation.
Informal.
Something not to be taken seriously; a triviality: The accident was no joke.
Relax Raider, just poking fun at ya. Had lots of my buddies from HS go to Tech, not trying to start a fight.

Kitso
KS 361
Old 03-24-2003, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AggieSigmaNu361

Kitso
KS 361
Don't know if they lack Class (insert barb about Colorado fans here) but I do know that they were pretty obnoxious down in S.Padre last week during Spring Break...They stole our "Husker Power" chant and made it "Raider Power" which just doesn't work as well, nor does it have the back story behind it like our chant does...oh well - "Guns Up!!!"
Old 04-28-2003, 03:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to sfasammy Send a message via AIM to sfasammy
Where are all the Greek houses located at in Lubbock? I visited the Texas Tech campus yesterday to explore pursuing graduate studies there. I drove around for nearly an hour and did not find a single Greek lodge...just a bunch of numbered streets!
Old 04-28-2003, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Kristin UTD*AGD Send a message via Yahoo to Kristin UTD*AGD
My brother-in-law's sister is an AXO at Tech. She is really a beautiful person inside and out. And she loves her sorority.

I am sure when you go through rush you will get to meet all of the sororities, and you will quickly get a feeling of where you will fit. I have never heard anything derogative about Tech sororities, so I am sure they must all have something great to offer.

Edited: I am sorry. I incorrectly assumed you were going through rush in the fall and just wanted some information.

Last edited by Kristin UTD*AGD; 04-28-2003 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to sfasammy Send a message via AIM to sfasammy
Actually, there isn't a chapter of my fraternity at Tech, but I am still interested in knowing where the houses were what Greek life is like over there.
Old 04-28-2003, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sfasammy
Where are all the Greek houses located at in Lubbock? I visited the Texas Tech campus yesterday to explore pursuing graduate studies there. I drove around for nearly an hour and did not find a single Greek lodge...just a bunch of numbered streets!
Greek circle is west of campus...take 19th street west to Quaker - go north on Quaker & you will see the Greek lodges after a few blocks on the right. FYI-Greeks at Tech are unhoused--meaning, their lodges look like large homes, but no one lives there (Lubbock zoning does not allow more than 2 un-related people to live under the same roof, unless its zoned as a dorm, and the rumor is that the owner of the land who deeded it to the school owns alot of apartment complexes & didn't want the zoning changed to dorm zoning so he wouldn't have any competition to fill his apartments...more info than you asked for).
Old 04-28-2003, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

One of our national traveling consultants was a pi phi at texas tech...very personalble, upbeat, classy, and beautiful! So I'm assuming the rest of the chapter is that way as well!
Old 04-28-2003, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

sorry y'all...i can't spell and never check-opps! haha