GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,236
1 members and 1,235 guests
No Members online
View Poll Results: Do I Mention I Was Cut My Freshman Year?
Yes 0 0%
No 16 100.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2018, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Should I Bring This Up or Avoid It During Sorority Recruitment?!?!?!?

So a brief backstory is I got cut from every house on my campus when I rushed previously as a freshman. I want to try rushing again during formal recruitment, but I'll be a sophomore this time around. I'm worried about the first couple of rounds if I'm asked "why did you to choose to rush as a sophomore?" should I mention that I was cut my freshman year and am trying out again now OR do I avoid that tidbit completely?!?!?! What would you think if a PNM said that to you during rounds? Would you cut her immediately? I'm so torn on what to do in this situation.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

They already know you were released, although they may not know from every house.
Why were you released? Was it grades? Appearance? Reputation? I know that nobody told you why, but think hard - why do you think you were released?
If that aspect has changed, then you might have a chance of a chance.
When someone asks why you are rushing as a sophomore, tell them that you have changed a lot over the past year, and that you want to make sure that this is something you might or might now want.
Then quickly change the subject.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
When someone asks why you are rushing as a sophomore, tell them that you have changed a lot over the past year, and that you want to make sure that this is something you might or might now want. Then quickly change the subject.
If someone were to ask, "Why are you rushing as a sophomore?", I would interpret that to mean almost the same thing as "Why did you choose to rush?" as posed to a freshman. I couldn't imagine that a sorority woman would be so impolite as to ask a rushee that question in an awkward "So, what gives? Did you get cut last year?" kind of way. That is, the sorority woman might be curious about the sophomore standing, but may not intend to imply any defect.

So, with in that in mind, would it be just as effective for the OP to answer the question in a straight-forward way without mentioning her standing at all? ("I'm rushing because I'm looking to get involved on campus and make friends blah blah blah....living in the dorms was a blast last year and I'd love to continue that kind of experience. How about you?")

True and Constant
Old 07-05-2018, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ perfect.