GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,834
0 members and 1,834 guests
No Members online

Old 04-28-2023, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Worst job you ever had

What do you do now and what was the worst job you’ve ever had?

For the worst job you’ve ever had only, give us a description.

I’m a managing director for FedEx as my career currently.

The worst job I’ve ever had was when I was in college. I had a summer job cleaning out portable toilets. The pay was good for a college student so I did it every summer with the same employer for 4 straight summers. The description is obvious what I was required to do Lol.
Old 04-29-2023, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Did you ever meet Fred Smith? We met him and just really admired him and his work ethic.
Old 04-29-2023, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTA72 View Post
Did you ever meet Fred Smith? We met him and just really admired him and his work ethic.
Yeah I met him. When I was a center manager, I met him. If you made the president’s club, FedEx would plan fun resort trips for those store managers whose stores made the president’s club. Fred Smith would also come out to meet those managers that made the club. He’s down to earth too.
Old 04-29-2023, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

God what a tossup lol.

Probably bartending for this weird old man who was alternating between sexually harassing us and ordering us to wear less clothing, and accusing us of stealing. I think I lasted a week.

I heard one of the women he hired (it was a revolving door for obvious reasons) had been an exotic dancer…so when he mentioned showing some skin, she wore one of her exotic dancer outfits. He wasn’t too happy…be careful what you wish for.

Honorary mention to unloading trucks at a thrift store. Sometimes I have flashbacks now if I’m handling donations at work (shudder)
Old 04-29-2023, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post
God what a tossup lol.

Probably bartending for this weird old man who was alternating between sexually harassing us and ordering us to wear less clothing, and accusing us of stealing. I think I lasted a week.

I heard one of the women he hired (it was a revolving door for obvious reasons) had been an exotic dancer…so when he mentioned showing some skin, she wore one of her exotic dancer outfits. He wasn’t too happy…be careful what you wish for.

Honorary mention to unloading trucks at a thrift store. Sometimes I have flashbacks now if I’m handling donations at work (shudder)
Lmao!
Old 04-29-2023, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

I loved and hated my job at Six Flags/Astroworld in Houston. Loved it because of meeting new people. Hated it because we had to load at least 2 people per "antique taxi" and all these kids, who had planned on driving alone, would throw themselves on the ground and scream and their mothers would scream that we had ruined their whole vacation. All the time, over and over.

I insisted on a transfer and got put in the new gravity house. Loved the performances. Hated that it had just been built and we were sick as dogs every night from the paint and varnish fumes.
Old 04-29-2023, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I am currently a birth and postpartum doula. I love it, but it certainly isn't easy.

My worst job was calling alumni to raise funds for the university where I was a grad student. It was torture.
Order of the Rose recipient
Old 04-29-2023, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erica812 View Post
I am currently a birth and postpartum doula. I love it, but it certainly isn't easy.

My worst job was calling alumni to raise funds for the university where I was a grad student. It was torture.
Wow. You have a really interesting job. I can see how that can be stressful at times.
Old 04-30-2023, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

I’m currently a veterinarian.

I really didn’t have any previous jobs that I didn’t enjoy because I’ve always worked with either animals or something involving science. If I were to pick one, I’d probably pick a science museum I worked at part-time while I was in undergrad. I worked in this mummy exhibit and sometimes guests would walk through it without stopping, so then I’d be sitting there with a mummy waiting for people to stop and ask questions. If it was a really slow day, it would just be me and the mummy. That got really boring.
Old 04-30-2023, 01:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Currently I’m an industrial design professor — I teach product design. I’m also a freelance industrial designer with an emphasis on automotive styling.

Worst job was the summer of my senior year in college. I worked at a party rental company that a friend of my dad’s had just opened up. It was terrible because sometimes I’d work from 7am until midnight, but then I’d get 3-4 days off (that was nice). The owner paid a lot more than most summer jobs were paying at the time so I couldn’t pass it up. The overtime was great, but the work sucked big time. I had to set up party tents, I had to use a big mallet to drive the metal stakes into the ground to hold the tents down, load, unload, and set up tables and chairs, drywall, etc. and it was crazy hot outside too.

What made it even worse is he only had a few people working for him (the reason for the long hours) and everyone except for the owner and I had a suspended drivers license so he made me be the driver. One time we loaded too many tables in the truck so when I turned the corner in an intersection, I didn’t think about all the weight in the back so the truck felt like it was going to tip… me and the passenger sitting next to me both yelled “Whoooooaaa!!”

I remember one guy who was working there was on house arrest so he could only work a few hours per day. It was a hot mess there. The pay was great for a college student though.
Romans 1:16
Old 04-30-2023, 08:02 AM
GreekChat Member

On the floor laughing @ that truck situation. GC is theater of the mind Lol

PB, do you have a favorite designer or an artist that you’re influenced by? Who’s your least favorite?

Last edited by Phrozen Sands; 04-30-2023 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-30-2023, 08:53 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm not sure that mine is quite as bad, but my wife and I agree on what my worst job was.

I'm a software developer, and while not all of the stereotypes are true, they exist for a reason. I went to work for the national Headquarters for a Union. They made a point of making sure that everyone worked the same hours. So I was expected to work exactly 8-12 and 12:30-4:30 every day. My office was supposed to be completely cleaned when I went home including *all* papers off the desk. Leaving the office even 10 minutes *late* was grounds for a writeup.

I only managed to stay there 3 weeks until the union and I decided we were *not* a match and I quit to look for another position.
Old 04-30-2023, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
I currently teach Physics, so working with teenagers has up and downs, but is never boring!!

I had two jobs that tie for worst, but in different ways. The first one was when I was in college, my senior year. I worked at a restaurant for my husband's uncle. He was super pervy. When a girl worked alone in the afternoons, he would call her back to his office, pull her on his lap, then fondle her. Being a college kid at the time, I didn't know how to handle it. My husband didn't believe that his wonderful, rich uncle would do these things. I found another job with better hours and more pay, and used that as an excuse to leave the family business. My husband and I divorced a few years later.

My other bad job was working in a school for a principal who was a bully. She drive most of the good people out her first year. Many people were suicidal and having breakdowns. Her higher-ups thought she was wonderful for "cleaning house." I left at the end of the year for a better work environment.
Old 04-30-2023, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcsparky View Post
My other bad job was working in a school for a principal who was a bully. She drive most of the good people out her first year. Many people were suicidal and having breakdowns. Her higher-ups thought she was wonderful for "cleaning house." I left at the end of the year for a better work environment.
I have worked for demon principals like this. All 4 sons and 1 daughter are now teachers, and my husband (also a teacher) and I have warned them that the happiest high school can be destroyed in less than a year by a psycho principal.
Old 04-30-2023, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozen Sands View Post
On the floor laughing @ that truck situation. GC is theater of the mind Lol

PB, do you have a favorite designer or an artist that you’re influenced by? Who’s your least favorite?
That’s hard to choose because there are so many I like. A lot of it comes down to era for me. If I had to narrow it down to one, it’d probably be Giorgetto Giugiaro. I like Larry Shinoda quite a bit too. Who influences my work all depends on what it is I’m doing and which company I’m doing the work for.

My least favorite would probably be Dick Teague. I’m not really a fan of his work.
Romans 1:16