GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,292
2 members and 2,290 guests
Cookiez17

Old 08-13-2007, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Dawg View Post
Thanks for that story...UGAdad, I know your daughter was thrilled to have such a busy and full day. Sounds like everyone gets what they need. My daughter has had a couple of breaks today and she gets a nice long one before her last party....my house! A chance to freshen up and take a break...

My best friend's daughter went through Auburn rush two years ago and was cut from our own sorority just before prefs....we were not expecting that at all. That's why I'd love to know the policy now...just to be prepared. Fortunately, she pledged the ONE sorority that asked her back, and now, she's a vice-president and loving the leadership opportunity. We feel like she would not have excelled so well had she not been in a smaller chapter, so I'm believing that wherever my baby dawg ends up, that's her greek home.

The best thing about being greek in my book is the lifelong friendships you make. To me, the three year campus experience was great, but my sisters now have always got my back! Love the bond!!!

Here's to all of our UGAdaughters and Baby Dawgs getting to go where they will the happiest and most fulfilled...not just for four years....but a lifetime!
Thanks, Mama Dawg. Best of luck to Baby Dawg. In the long run I think she may be better off having some breaks. When I talked to UGADaughter today during lunch break (yes she called me this time!) she was exhausted (but of course enjoying second round very much -- I know I better add that). She was also becoming very confused. I tried to calm her down and just remind her to be herself, try to keep her options open, and enjoy the ride. I hope it helped. One thing she said was that the girls who seemed to have fewer parties today were, like Baby Dawg, legacies to UGA sororities. The theory is that other soororities think they won't get the girls who will likely go to their legacy sorority. Of course, in the long run that legacy will likely be a good thing, but it may be limiting in the early stages. The fact that UGAMom's sorority is not on campus at UGA probably helped with second round invites, but it may not be so good later in the process.

Anyway, what do I know? Best of luck to your daughter.

By the way, I answered candiceena by PM -- I'm adding that because I didn't want folks to think I didn't respond.

I hope all the UGA girls have had a great day today.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-13-2007, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGADad View Post
UGADaughter is also in Brumby, and she thinks it is great that all those freshman girls can be in the dorm together sharing experiences and making new friends. But NonUGASon, who helped us move UGADaughter in on Friday, was the most impressed with Brumby. He had quite an enjoyable day on Friday -- helping little sister has never been so much fun for him!
I'll bet nonUGASon enjoyed helping little sister moving into Brumby and checking out all her new classmates
Old 08-13-2007, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Confused and Exhausted

UGADaughter just talked to her mom and was sooooo exhausteed and soooo confused. She had to rank the sororities and was so tired she struggled to make decisions. I know it is a good problem to have, but she really struggled to rank the soroities in a meaningful order. After all, she has had 40 minutes of exposure to each house. She was gong to bed right after the call.

BTW, her adviser had them rank a "top 5" -- isn't that a little strange since they could go to as many as 6 parties tomorrow? I guess it doesn't matter, because they also had to rank a "next 2." But apparently they didn't rank the rest -- or at least that is what she understood/misunderstood.

So for UGADaughter that meant she couldn't rank one of the 8 she continues to really like, and while she thinks (emphasis on thinks) she has a top three or four, she really thinks that any of the 8 could be a great place for her. Was she confused (or maybe UGAMom is confused) or is that how it works at UGA? So if she gets cut by several of her top 7 but her unlisted 8th choice invites her back, how would that work?

I apologize that this sounds like a nice problem to have, but for a very tired and confused girl, this was real drama.

Mama Dawg -- my previous post about breaks may have been right on the money.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

The rush adviser may have been trying to express it in a way that girls who didn't have twelve parties might not have felt as alienated from.

She may have also been trying to get the girls to get away from thinking "here are the six that I want and the ones that I would cut if I could."

If she ranked the maximum that her rush counselor said she could, I'm sure she will be fine.

ETA: It's possible that she could call her rush adviser and clarify, couldn't she? Better to catch this now if it turns out she could have ranked more.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 08-13-2007 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGADad View Post
BTW, her adviser had them rank a "top 5" -- isn't that a little strange since they could go to as many as 6 parties tomorrow? I guess it doesn't matter, because they also had to rank a "next 2." But apparently they didn't rank the rest -- or at least that is what she understood/misunderstood.

So for UGADaughter that meant she couldn't rank one of the 8 she continues to really like, and while she thinks (emphasis on thinks) she has a top three or four, she really thinks that any of the 8 could be a great place for her. Was she confused (or maybe UGAMom is confused) or is that how it works at UGA? So if she gets cut by several of her top 7 but her unlisted 8th choice invites her back, how would that work?
That sounds very odd. When I went through FR (six rushes ago), we had to rank everyone we saw during the round, even houses we weren't interested in. For instance, I visited 9 houses during round two and ranked all 9 in numerical order rather than having a "top 6" and then a "next 3." It may have changed but I would be surprised if girls were not allowed to maximize their options by ranking all chapters.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Mama Dawg
UGAdad...you're a sweetie and I hope all dads are as concerned. I know Daddy Dawg says this is just awful! He threw up his hands today and said that when he went through frat rush, guys just keep showing up at the house and eventually they get a bid! He said he didn't think he could handle this pressure!

What happened with Baby Dawg yesterday was that she did, in fact, get invited back to her choices at the end of her rankings. I think that NPC is trying to keep girls as involved as possible, and as long as possible, and that is a good thing. So, if your UGAdaughter is invited back to her 8th ranking, it just means that the numbers didn't match between her rankings and the sororities' rankings.....I think???Maybe???? Sounds logical, and that is how it seemed to me, but I could be wrong.

Is anyone getting any sleep tonight? I was mentally awake all night last night, and will probably be again tonight!
Old 08-13-2007, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Another UGA mom

My daughter is also going through rush at UGA - got invited back to 12 today, but her best friend only got invited to six. Two of the houses she had multiple recs for did not invite her back, but the ones she liked best are still on her list. She is a legacy, and I am also wondering if it is still true that if a legacy comes to prefs they are automatically on the first list. Does this vary from one GLO to another.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadden View Post
My daughter is also going through rush at UGA - got invited back to 12 today, but her best friend only got invited to six. Two of the houses she had multiple recs for did not invite her back, but the ones she liked best are still on her list. She is a legacy, and I am also wondering if it is still true that if a legacy comes to prefs they are automatically on the first list. Does this vary from one GLO to another.
I think it varies, but the legacy member could easily review the policy maybe on the national website, I think.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Shadden,

You're not likely to get an answer on the legacy rules for each sorority. Membership decisions are private and not discussed on GC. You'll find that legacy considerations vary widely by sorority and chapter.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-13-2007, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I guess I feel a little better

Knowing that someone with multiple recs didn't get a call back helps me feel a little better about no recs.

Tried to get some today but had no luck with getting fax numbers or even active phone numbers online. Plus I have not said anything to my daughter about this as someone advised me to not add more stress at this time ...and she's the one who knows who offered her recs. I was really not very involved with all of this until this week.

I have not spoken with her since right before her last party around 5:00 but she has such an open mind about all of this! Not knowing very much about Greek life prior she had no pre-conceived "wishes" and she told me today that she really liked one that she had initially ruled out. So we'll see! I do know that at the end of Day 1 even as hot as it was she said she definitely wants to be a part of Greek life!

I've got my fingers crossed for everyone to be happy in the end!
Old 08-13-2007, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Dawg View Post
That's why I'd love to know the policy now...just to be prepared.
It should be a national policy and you should be able to find it on your website.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

UGA recruitment

As an alumni at one if UGA's sororities (from another school), I didn't realize how drastically things had changed in 25 years. We were never told that recs were so important, quite the contrary! Otherwise I could have had several friends write on my daughter's behalf, even though they hadn't seen her since she was 5 or 6. We assumed (wrongly I now realize), that it was all about personalities that clicked and common interests. I live in the Atlanta area, and Sunday morning there was an article on UGA's rush mentioning specially ordered designer clothes and stacks of recs - my daughter isn't like that at all! She's very down to earth, quiet and unpretentious, but a great sense of humor, wonderful personality, and the best, most loyal friend anyone could hope to have (OK, maybe I'm a little biased!) Despite the article, we thought she would at least find one house where there were similar girls who would be interested in her for herself. Today she called to let me know she only got 2 invites back, and one was to my sorority, which has a policy to invite all legacies back to one party. Still, she was very upbeat, not taking it too seriously, just having a good time. Well, tonight an officer from my sorority called me to break the news that she's being released. I'm so sad. I doubt she'll be invited back to the other one either, because, like I said, she's somewhat quiet and reserved. I know she'll be OK, she has the ability to see the bright side of things much more so than me. I just can't stand to think of what the rejection will feel like away from home not knowing many people, and then when the other girls get their bids...I had so wanted to share the great experience I had in college with her, she has brothers but always wanted a sister...Sorry this is such a long,sad post, but I needed to vent, Hubby wasn't greek and thinks the whole thing is BS.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clueless also View Post
As an alumni at one if UGA's sororities (from another school), I didn't realize how drastically things had changed in 25 years. We were never told that recs were so important, quite the contrary! Otherwise I could have had several friends write on my daughter's behalf, even though they hadn't seen her since she was 5 or 6. We assumed (wrongly I now realize), that it was all about personalities that clicked and common interests. I live in the Atlanta area, and Sunday morning there was an article on UGA's rush mentioning specially ordered designer clothes and stacks of recs - my daughter isn't like that at all! She's very down to earth, quiet and unpretentious, but a great sense of humor, wonderful personality, and the best, most loyal friend anyone could hope to have (OK, maybe I'm a little biased!) Despite the article, we thought she would at least find one house where there were similar girls who would be interested in her for herself. Today she called to let me know she only got 2 invites back, and one was to my sorority, which has a policy to invite all legacies back to one party. Still, she was very upbeat, not taking it too seriously, just having a good time. Well, tonight an officer from my sorority called me to break the news that she's being released. I'm so sad. I doubt she'll be invited back to the other one either, because, like I said, she's somewhat quiet and reserved. I know she'll be OK, she has the ability to see the bright side of things much more so than me. I just can't stand to think of what the rejection will feel like away from home not knowing many people, and then when the other girls get their bids...I had so wanted to share the great experience I had in college with her, she has brothers but always wanted a sister...Sorry this is such a long,sad post, but I needed to vent, Hubby wasn't greek and thinks the whole thing is BS.
I hate that this happens. Everytime I read a thread that starts with "I didn't know we needed recs" and I see it is for a school with a competitive rush, I just get a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Clueless Also, I am so sorry for you and for your daughter.

I wish there was some way to put together and send out information to each PNM and their parents that honestly addressed things like recs. I hate that people either don't know or that they've been given bad information.

UGA Panhellenic, if you are reading, a suggestion for you; let the Baby Dawgs know!
Old 08-14-2007, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

www.atlantapanhellenic.org

This site was mentioned in another thread. They say they help girls get recs.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clueless also View Post
I live in the Atlanta area, and Sunday morning there was an article on UGA's rush mentioning specially ordered designer clothes and stacks of recs - my daughter isn't like that at all! She's very down to earth, quiet and unpretentious, but a great sense of humor, wonderful personality, and the best, most loyal friend anyone could hope to have (OK, maybe I'm a little biased!) Despite the article, we thought she would at least find one house where there were similar girls who would be interested in her for herself. Today she called to let me know she only got 2 invites back, and one was to my sorority, which has a policy to invite all legacies back to one party. Still, she was very upbeat, not taking it too seriously, just having a good time. Well, tonight an officer from my sorority called me to break the news that she's being released. I'm so sad. I doubt she'll be invited back to the other one either, because, like I said, she's somewhat quiet and reserved. I know she'll be OK, she has the ability to see the bright side of things much more so than me. I just can't stand to think of what the rejection will feel like away from home not knowing many people, and then when the other girls get their bids...I had so wanted to share the great experience I had in college with her, she has brothers but always wanted a sister...Sorry this is such a long,sad post, but I needed to vent, Hubby wasn't greek and thinks the whole thing is BS.
I'm sorry about your daughter's release from your sorority. From what you've said, she sounds like a LOVELY girl that any sorority would lucky to have. And you sound like a loving, caring mother. With your daughter's personality, I can see her being well liked in college life and being quite an assest to any organization with which she chooses to become involved (Greek or non-Greek).