GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,651
2 members and 1,649 guests
Overthinker, Sister Havana

Old 08-29-2008, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

"What would make you a good addition to this chapter?"

Maybe this is a "dumb" question, but...

I am going through rush very soon. I have been reading advice, picking out my outfits, and practicing how to talk to the women. One question I can't seem to think of a good answer to is "What would make you a good addition to this chapter?" (or something along those lines.) I have NO IDEA what to say if I am asked this question and how to say it humbly.

Any tips?!
Old 08-29-2008, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Think of recruitment as a job interview. This is a great opportunity to list your strengths. I'd focus on your leadership, organizational and sisterhood qualities and be sure to give the member good examples.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

It's gonna be hard to do this without sounding braggy...

How about something like "I know that if I was invited to become a member of ABC (or should I just say "a sorority"?!) I would take so much pride in it and do whatever I could to help it succeed... I can't wait to help out with your philanthropy!"

I am just not sure what specific qualities I have that would be able to help a sorority. I'm not a "leader". I'm too shy. I wish I was, but I'm just not.

What about "friendly, cooperative and open-minded"?
Old 08-29-2008, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I think that they want to hear you brag a little bit ... just don't be too full of yourself. They want to know what qualities you posess that will set you apart from every other PNM in the room.

Instead of saying, "I would take so much pride in it and do whatever I could to help it succeed... I can't wait to help out with your philanthropy!"
Say something more specific like, "I take pride in everything I do, am very organized and have some leadership qualities that I am just waiting for the right opportunity to exhibit. I like the idea of maybe incorporating XXX into your philanthropy."

Sell yourself just like you would if this were an employment interview.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Do 3 things:
1.) Talk about your positive qualities
2.) Talk about something you need to improve
3.) Compliment the sorority/Greek life

Example: "I think I would contribute a lot to a sorority in terms of academics. I have a very high GPA, and I have helped as a tutor before. I have participated in philanthropic events in the past, including Habitat for Humanity and the Special Olympics, and I would really like to get involved with some new ones. But in high school, I wasn't involved with as many organizations as I would have liked, and I understand that Greek life is a good way to get involved and make contacts with other Greeks, other organizations, and alumni."

This way, you won't sound like you're bragging, you'll sound informed and intelligent, and they'll believe that you're truly interested in all that comes with Greek life.

@~/~~~~
Old 08-29-2008, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, and if you excel in one area over another, then mention that! Let's say you're a finance major and you're extremely good with math. Talk about a few ideas you might have with fundraising or treasurer. Show an interest from the beginning. Pretend like you already know what's going on. And do your research. Know what each sorority has to offer. Find out which philanthropies they support so you can go in talking about it.

Instead of saying:
"I'm really excited to help with a philanthropy"

Say:
"I know that you raised $500 for Habitat for Humanity with your date auction held last year. Are you planning to do that same event this year, because I think that sounds like it would be fun and a good way to raise money, and also a good way to meet some new people on campus."

End it with a question. You're trying to engage in conversation. You can't have it all be one sided.

@~/~~~~
Old 08-29-2008, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

If you aren't a "leader" by nature, brag about how you are always willing to pitch in behind the scenes when needed. If you are great at publicity/making posters/fliers, then brag about that, with an example: "I designed all of the campaign posters for the student body president candidate". Think about the "little" things you do. Guaranteed that you will find something brag-worthy.

Good luck!

Old 08-29-2008, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
If you aren't a "leader" by nature, brag about how you are always willing to pitch in behind the scenes when needed. If you are great at publicity/making posters/fliers, then brag about that, with an example: "I designed all of the campaign posters for the student body president candidate". Think about the "little" things you do. Guaranteed that you will find something brag-worthy.

Good luck!
Agreed ... nothing wrong with the worker bees who get things done! Some chapters could use more workers and fewer queens.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:23 AM
GreekChat Member

PrincessPeach:

Congratulations on your decision to participate in sorority recruitment!

Did you know that sororities are always seeking a well-rounded membership? They like leadership skills in their new members, yes. But they cannot survive if they are filled with natural leaders exclusively. So they are also looking for “individual contributors.”

Sororities seek out women with a variety of skills. Leadership experience is only one of many. Perhaps you are mature, a high achiever, a good time manager, or a good communicator. Are you a brilliant artist? A budding author? A district Ping Pong champion?

If you are having trouble thinking of ideas, consider extrapolating a skill from some accomplishment. Whenever you feel expected to talk about your leadership experiences, simply describe your other appropriate traits.

Let me offer an example. I like the Ping Pong example.

If you were the district Ping Pong champion, you probably spent many hours understanding the rules and regulations of the game (committed, inquisitive). You probably practiced for a fixed number of hours each week (discipline). You were probably a member of a Ping Pong team or organization in which you mentored others or contributed to the organization (team player). Maybe you volunteered to track statistics or arranged the Ping Pong scrambles with members of neighboring associations (contributor).

From this example, you can derive many strengths that sororities will find appealing. You are committed and inquisitive, as indicated by your study of the rules and regulations. You are able to discipline yourself to achieve successes (goal oriented). You are a team player who knows how to properly critique and guide others.

There are several traits in this example that could help you with proper conversation during recruitment. Commitment, inquisitiveness, discipline, goal orientation, success orientation, team player, communicator, organized, contributor. Do you think that these traits in a prospective member would beneficial to a sorority? The answer is yes!

Let's assume that you DO have many of these qualities. Great! Do you intend to continue exhibiting these traits when you are a sorority member? If so, you could be considered a leader by virtue of your positive role modeling to the other members. Even if you don't hold a "named" position, you can still be a vitally contributing member of a chapter.

The real art of recruitment is humbly cramming all of your positive traits into a very short conversation, while also demonstrating an authentic interest in your hostess and her chapter.

Good luck in recruitment!

~SureSister
* Former Recruitment Chair, Recruitment Counselor, Recruitment Advisor, and Advisory Board Chair
* Constant Sorority Recruitment Advocate and Enthusiast
<>.<>.<>.<>.<>.<>.<>.<>.<>.<>.<>.<>.<>.<>.<>.<>.<> .<>.<>.<>

Last edited by PenguinTrax; 09-02-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
If you aren't a "leader" by nature, brag about how you are always willing to pitch in behind the scenes when needed.
Other personal qualities can be an asset, too. Maybe you are the one in your group of friends who can always stay calm in an emergency, or the one who cheers up the others when you all face disappointment, or the one everybody confesses to when they've made a horrible mistake because they know that you're never judgmental.
________

Last edited by PenguinTrax; 07-13-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

i feel like preparing for the conversations you'll have is almost impossible. you can always think of things you want to bring up but you have no idea what you will actually talk about with the girls. i had the most random conversations during recruitment. you usually find something you have in common with the "rusher" and talk about it. for example, i talked about my dog...a lot hahaha because i am obsessed with her or one day i said i wanted to be in my pajamas instead of the clothes i was wearing haha. the girl i talked about my dog with told me that she loved it because it was different...she was sick of hearing the same questions and giving the same answers over & over again. they usually know your activities, leadership positions, and awards beforehand.

just stay positive and keep a smile on your face. as easy as that sounds, keeping a smile on your face is soooo hard after a long day of talking to a million people. keep an open mind and go with the flow.

good luck!
Old 09-01-2008, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

princesspeach, the question you posed is one which you will probably be asked the rest of your life. What would you bring to the table? Why do you think you'd fit in? They are excellent questions, and it's good that you're even thinking ahead.

They give you a chance to think about who you really are, your strengths and weaknesses. Are you able to be the cheery voice when everyone else is miserable? Maybe you're a deep thinker, who takes a problem and can work it out? Or are creative, or a great vocalist, or, or, or - all while being able to make great grades?

Good thinking!
Old 09-01-2008, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

What activities were you invovled with during HS? Do you have any talents such as theater, dance, voice, musical instruments. How strong are you academically? Is your college major something that can be strong for the organization. What type of personality do you have? Are you quiet and reserved, outspoken, open minded and love diversity. All of these are different I know, but all are assets to a group. Personally, if you be yourself, smile like crazy, ask open ended questions you'll do just fine. Being yourself is what you bring to the table. Now, take a deep breath and have fun!
Old 09-03-2008, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Look at the chapter websites

Great advice above. It may help you to look through the chapter websites to see what specific activities you are likely to participate in. When I was rushing, I talked about how much I loved to sing and as an active, I participated in the campus-wide Greek singing competition. Other actives were valued for their athletic skills, accounting skills, sales skills...there are so many different talents needed in every house.