GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 576
0 members and 576 guests
No Members online

Old 09-02-2013, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Daily Commute/Deal Breakers

As I'm looking for a new job, I have so many questions.

How much time do various people spend commuting?
How far is the commute?
What are deal makers or deal breakers for you?
How hard is it to go from running your own business to working for someone?

Help!
Old 09-02-2013, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I have to leave my house 25 minutes before I have to be sitting at my desk ready. I drive.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Too darn much.

It takes anywhere from 45 mins to an hour and a half.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't even imagine going back to work in an office after being self employed. I love having all of the responsibility & authority to make my own decisions.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I take the Metra. It's about a 40 minute or so trip during rush hour; just under an hour if I miss the express time. We're currently house-hunting. One of the areas I really like would add about 30 minutes to my commute, and that may be my deal-breaker.

I could drive, but parking in downtown Chicago is expensive. Also, I like the commute...I usually sit in a quiet car, read a book and relax.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I drive about 25 miles to work each day. My full commute, door to door, including parking and taking a shuttle to my building from the parking lot, and getting to my desk takes me about 45 minutes, with no significant weather or traffic issues.

I think the question about going from being your own boss to having a boss is really dependent on the management style and environment. I've had bosses who were really flexible and bosses who were inflexible. It's good to know things like- are there times when it is ok to work from home? Are there flex hours and how are those defined? I've worked places where flex hours mean you have to be there for the "core" hours of business (usually 9-3) but outside of that, as long as you get your 8 hours in, it doesn't matter when you come in or leave on any given day. I've worked where "flex hours" meant you get to choose your start and leave times, but you need to stick to them once they are set. I'd look for a looser, more casual environment over a strict corporate culture.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

My last job was a 40 minute commute each way, give or take 15-20 mins with traffic. When I switched jobs but hadn't moved over to Virginia yet...it was 40 minutes there, 1-2.5 hours on the way back. Now I commute just over 20 minutes each way and I love it.

Deal breaker for me is how I'm treated by my clients since I'm a contractor. My last client treated us like the ant stuck to the gum on the bottom of the shoe, my current client treats me like one of their own
Old 09-02-2013, 09:12 PM

I am very lucky right now that my commute is about 8 miles each way, maybe 12 minutes if I catch both traffic lights. Deal breaker there is that it's not permanent or full-time with benefits although after three years in the position it's as secure as anything might be today.

Am considering a position that would be about 36 miles each way. Depending on traffic that could be 45-60 minutes each way, which in and of itself is a potential deal breaker. Benefits are a big draw, but parking (location, expense, safety) is another potential deal breaker. I can't put that kind of mileage or wear and tear on my 13 year old vehicle and lose a huge chunk of my paycheck on parking. But that's possible negotiation to come, but an expense to take into consideration.

As for running your own business to working for someone it was no problem. I had a home-based business for a couple of years. Although I loved the product and company I am not native to the area where we live and I just couldn't break through as an "outsider". After that experience I have no problem working for someone else.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

Well, tomorrow will tell all. I'm to be at the potential new office at 8am - and it has taken me 45 minutes to drive there, pedal to the metal, during non-rush hours. I will work a half day, basically shadowing the current DOO, as I'll be next in command. If I am comfortable, I am hired.

Good news/bad news: basically what I've done most of my adult life, only not having to worry about what worries owners (taxes, etc). Substantial raise, all benefits except medical (which I already get through DH). Will have to develop a "grown up" wardrobe, for the more clients I will visit.

The commute seems to be the biggie, so I'm going to keep track very carefully for the next few months!

Thank you all for your input. It really helped me see what is important to me!
Old 09-08-2013, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Best of luck to you tomorrow, honey! I hope it goes well.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Anne View Post
Best of luck to you tomorrow, honey! I hope it goes well.
Seconded!

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Hope your first day was good and that the commute was at least tolerable. :-)
Old 09-09-2013, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flirt5721
Before I moved to my current home I was commuting 40 miles one way. I did that for a year to please my husband (never again will I live that far from work). It would take me 1 hr to get to work and 1.5 to 2 hrs to get home. Now my commute is one 20 miles one way.

Good luck tomorrow. I would be one the phone talking to my sisters or mom to keep me entertained.

"The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword"
Land of Entrapment has me again
Old 09-10-2013, 05:58 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
My old house: 17 miles and it takes me 2.5 hours

My new apartment: 5 miles and it takes me 45 minutes

Yes, Jakarta's traffic is legendary

Good luck honeychile!!!!
Old 10-11-2013, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

It will be one month on Monday. Please note my new signature! I will be giving it at least until January 1st, or until the Money Fairy decides to fly my way! Thanks, y'all!