GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,436
2 members and 1,434 guests
naraht, Sen's Revenge

Old 10-11-2019, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

<<3. The university says 2 or more brothers in our yard at the same time would be considered a fraternity function.>>

That is seriously ridiculous. So if three brothers have a class together and want to walk to it together, they cannot leave the house at the same time and walk through the yard at the same time? If three guys decide they want to throw a football around outside in the yard, it's a function? If more than two members get out of their cars at the same time, then some have to wait until the others have entered?? There are no words for the level of absurdity.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-11-2019, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

I'm surprised no one has obtained a Temporary Restraining Order against the school.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 10-11-2019, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod D View Post
If you don't use a legal definition of hazing, then you have a "whatever I feel like" standard. And that doesn't work. Houses are being punished because, god forbid, little Johnny had to clean the house or someone was "mean" to him.

So riddle me this, is this hazing:
https://www.facebook.com/IndianaUniv...2724941475653/
Doing this from my work computer, which can't access facebook. And collegiate organizations certainly are held to different standards than places like the military or a state police academy. The US Military in training only guarantees one meal a day and one hour of sleep, so I'd quite happily see Marine Bootcamp have conditions that would see a fraternity not only expelled from a campus but its members prosecuted/convicted

It is a private school so it can be a "whatever I feel like standard". And if the University's standard is too ludicrous, there will be PR/Alumni pushback.

The question is whether these incidents meet a standard of hazing that the University has documented and made the Fraternities/Sororities/Professionals sign.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

OU has always had a reputation of being a Party School, a risky school and a hazing school. A looong time ago, my parents told me I could go to any school in Ohio as long as it wasn't OU.

The only students that attended high school with me that went to OU were not going there for an education. They wanted to drink, get high and do as little as it took to get a diploma.

I thought tides had turned but unfortunately, I'm hearing a lot from students that have transfered out and parents that there still is a party culture, a lot of hazing among all student organizations and a lot of sexual abuse.

I too would not be surprised if there was some type of restraining order against the school.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post

It is a private school so it can be a "whatever I feel like standard". And if the University's standard is too ludicrous, there will be PR/Alumni pushback.
OU is not a private school. In fact, it's nothing more than a glorified high school.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
OU is not a private school. In fact, it's nothing more than a glorified high school.
My mistake on the first. On the second, that's simply an opinion.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod D View Post
Oh stop yourself. But thanks for making my point. Many other organizations engage in questionable behavior, but it's the Fraternities that get all the publicity. Wonder why.
Greek organizations claim to be values based, above the rest, and providing a value that cannot be provided by anybody else. If we are going to claim to be above the rest, we have to act it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltAlum View Post
Sure appears to me that my alma mater is going after the entire Greek System.

Having been an alumni advisor (Division Vice President) in Colorado several years ago, I have zero tolerance for hazing, but this seems to me to be a very heavy handed over reach by the University.

If the chapter is breaking the rules or the law, suspend it. But only when there is proof.

That is my opinion. I do not speak for Delta Tau Delta.
Good to see you, but sorry this is happening at your alma mater.

Quote:
When my son was exploring meteorology and broadcast journalism, Ohio U was one of the best in the country for both so I think this may be an extreme statement.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I did not know this and I've actually visited the campus LOL
Old 10-14-2019, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
As a very proud Ohio University alumna, I am beyond offended by this.

OU has one of the BEST communications colleges in the nation as well as top ranked schools in other fields (osteopathic medicine, sport management, and engineering all come to mind).

I grew up in Columbus, and I went to plenty of parties on the tOSU campus. Nothing I saw at OU was worse than at tOSU (as a comparison, but tOSU was never horrid either). OU is in the middle of nowhere, and students stay on campus during the weekends. It is not a commuter or suitcase college. In fact we would joke about all of the students from other universities that came to Athens on the weekends.

is there hazing? for some groups, yes. for all? no. I didn't experience I single example of hazing in my sorority, my co-ed communications society, or any of the other groups of which I was a member.

I guess a parent not allowing a child to go to OU because it is a "party school" is similar to my dad not allowing me to go to Kent State because of the shootings.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 10-23-2019, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Our HQ received official word today that our chapter had their suspension lifted.

I am not sure what/if other chapters had their suspension lifted.
Old 10-26-2019, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I do apologize for hurting anyone’s feelings but I will not apologize for what I wrote. It’s my opinion whether anyone agrees with it or not. Some of you have criticized the school I attended for less and I never shot back about it.

I do agree they have a few very good programs at OU including their school of Journalism, nursing and ceramics program. They also have a great MFA in acting.

I have 7 friends and one cousin who were parents to former OU students that transferred out of Athens because of the uncontrolled party atmosphere. All say basically the same story: too much alcohol and illegal drug activity, ignored sexual abuse, students that were out of control and that their classes started taking a back seat. Just to note that not all the students were part of the Greek system.

Is everyone at OU like this? No. But when one student said to me, “If I don’t transfer, I’ll end up in rehab or dead”, I realized that nothing has really changed since I was looking at colleges 40 years ago.

Keep reading the news. Some suspensions have been lifted or modified. However, more things keep crawling out of the woodwork for other groups.

Last edited by Benzgirl; 10-26-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-26-2019, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Update on the suspensions....

https://www.thepostathens.com/articl...cident-reports
Old 10-26-2019, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Unbelievable that many of the incidents were nothing more than rumors, people who were not forced to do anything but felt "uncomfortable" at an event, and of course, a rank urban legend that has been around for decades (fat circling on the washing machine).
Old 10-26-2019, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Unbelievable that many of the incidents were nothing more than rumors, people who were not forced to do anything but felt "uncomfortable" at an event, and of course, a rank urban legend that has been around for decades (fat circling on the washing machine).
Rather than the rumors, the article states that some of the suspensions were lifted and modified (relaxed).
Old 10-27-2019, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
I share your concern about suspensions being based on hearsay, but I have to say that the fat circling thing HAS HAPPENED on campuses. A friend of mine was subjected to this as a pledge and it was awful.