GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,072
1 members and 1,071 guests
AOIIalum

Old 10-31-2019, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry Yale Greek Life

Looks like the same issues we are fighting at Harvard are happening at Yale.

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2019/...tion-of-frats/
Old 10-31-2019, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

More stupidness by stupid people.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
As a new member of Yale’s campus, Iman Iftikhar ’23 said she was surprised that to gain entrance into a frat party, one must either “know someone or be a girl.” Representation in frats isn’t proportional to the representation of the student body at Yale, Iftikhar said.
Sooooo...maybe if that’s someplace you want to be, you should meet the people who live there and are opening their home to you? Then maybe they’d let you in if they know you’re a trustworthy person. A fraternity house isn’t Applebee’s.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah. They complained the frat houses were the only good places to party. Unreal.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Sooooo...maybe if that’s someplace you want to be, you should meet the people who live there and are opening their home to you? Then maybe they’d let you in if they know you’re a trustworthy person. A fraternity house isn’t Applebee’s.
Sigma Chi policies mandate that there can only be 3 guests per member at parties. So, yeah, sorry, but you need to know a member to be a guest at the Sigma Chi house.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 11-01-2019, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Pretty sure that's a FIPG (FEA) holdover risk management policy.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-01-2019, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

ROFL. "Frats are dangerous and rapey and should be forced to make themselves safe! Until I want on the party list. Then I don't want any risk management policies getting in my way, because hypocritical reasons."

People have a constitutional right to freely associate with whomever they choose. Fraternities are private organizations with specific goals and limited resources. They aren't obligated or able to entertain everyone's whims, and they aren't simply going to disappear because they're not sufficiently fluffing your ego. I agree with the guy who recommended concentrating on the hard work of developing new groups - it's a lot more difficult than sitting on your ass while you lob bombs at other people's efforts, but it'll actually create the kind of results you claim to seek.

I'm not gonna lie and tell you that I have zero misgivings about fraternity culture, but it's absurd and offensive to even suggest that they don't have right to exist and do things their own way. If you don't like them, don't join them or attend their parties. Do the work to find or create the type of organization or social event you'd like to attend.

I'll also say this: I think women are much safer at the average fraternity party than they are at the average college houseparty.

And this: Haters gonna hate.

Last edited by SigmaCat; 11-01-2019 at 04:08 PM. Reason: CARRIAGE RETURN SPACES OMG
Old 11-02-2019, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

I get so tired of sanctimonious people wanting to run everyone's lives. They know better and we'd all be better if we were just like them. (Eye roll). If you don't like something don't associate with it. If you don't want to join something don't. Until the group you hate does something that directly impacts your life, your objections are not valid.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:24 AM

The dumbest thing about this is...there is already a coed fraternity. The school isn’t preventing local groups from forming as some schools do. These whiny snowflakes can all get together and make their own independent coed patriarchy smashing fraternity system. All you need is to find some idiotic celebrity who will give you a couple million to build or buy a nicer house than the existing fraternities have and then you can STFU. Because that’s really what this is all about - entitlement. It’s the same concept as the SEC rushee who has always gotten everything being aghast that she has to go to a party for a “low tier” group. They’re masking it in a bunch of buzzwords and blab about safety and diversity, but it’s the same entitlement.
Old 11-02-2019, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
. They’re masking it in a bunch of buzzwords and blab about safety and diversity, but it’s the same entitlement.
YES! THIS!
Old 11-02-2019, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Five bucks to anyone who can figure out what this quote is trying to convey:

“It’s impossible to say,” Dowe said. “It’s impossible to anticipate what direction things might move in, but I think that the conversations reflect broader conversations that are happening about many aspects of social life and community across the board. I think a lot of people are more focused on thinking at the macro level which is in many ways reflected in a variety of community spaces rather than focusing in on particular spaces without cause to do so.”

Huh?
Old 11-02-2019, 01:27 PM

I think it has to do with Fiona the Hippo, but I’m not positive.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

"Having the conversation" has become the lofty, virtue-signaling justification for everything now.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Five bucks to anyone who can figure out what this quote is trying to convey:

“It’s impossible to say,” Dowe said. “It’s impossible to anticipate what direction things might move in, but I think that the conversations reflect broader conversations that are happening about many aspects of social life and community across the board. I think a lot of people are more focused on thinking at the macro level which is in many ways reflected in a variety of community spaces rather than focusing in on particular spaces without cause to do so.”

Huh?

They're obviously trying to globally generate exceptional action items.

(https://www.atrixnet.com/bs-generator.html)

True and Constant
Old 11-02-2019, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ LOL. Well, maybe he was trying to "proactively cultivate visionary materials."

Or just prove that it really is "impossible to say?"

I guess I'm keeping my 5 bucks. That's good, because I'm going to need it to buy more red Solo cups for the party I'm throwing, which I expect to be attended by many people I don't know, who drink all of my beer, don't say "thank you," and then file a lawsuit against me! Wait, maybe I better keep that $5 for attorney fees....