GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 2,205
1 members and 2,204 guests
Sen's Revenge

Old 04-16-2001, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Tell Me About Hawaii

OK ya'll if we keep up with these kind of threads, we will soon have one about all 50 states . But I will continue with the theme because I am really interested in Hawaii. I know OTW is from there, so of course I would LOVE to hear from her. But I'm also interested in hearing from anyone else who's been there. It seems like a really cool place ( and it looks just gorgeous!) I'd like to know what its really like there besides just all the touristy stuff. Thanks!
(Oh, I did search to see if there was already a thread like this but I didn't see one. If there is and I just missed it, let me know )
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-17-2001, 12:47 AM
Unregistered-

Cool

LOL Turtle!! I feel so much pressure! I'm somewhat familiar with most of the threads, and I don't think that there's one like this!

It always amazes me how people are so interested in my home state. I know there are times when I'm at the beach and see all these tourists...and I think to myself "There are so many people that appreciate Hawaii, some wait there whole lives to come here...and this is my backyard."

I could sell Hawaii to you by listing my favorite attractions, but to be honest, you can read about that in some travel guide. Besides, I know some of you have been here, and I think it's better to talk about attractions from a non-resident point of view. Hawaii's beauty pretty much speaks for itself, and I'm thankful that I had the opportunity to grow up in a place like this.

I can tell you what it's like to grow up here. Hawaii truly is a melting pot. In high school my core group of best friends were of every kind of ethnicity possible. You learn so much about different cultures that it becomes a part of every day life--like the Japanese way of removing shoes when entering a home, having a Hawaiian kahuna bless your home (and my dorm room!), my Filipino mom's home cooking, and getting money every Chinese New Year.

I've been privileged to have studied the art of hula and chanting with different teachers in the past 21 years. These teachers provided me with a different kind of learning, one that has benefitted me academically, physically, and spiritually.

The cost of living here is quite expensive, and many people say that that's the price of living in paradise. In the future, I'd like to move elsewhere because Hawaii doesn't offer everything that I want right now, but in the end I know that I'll want to raise my children here. I wouldn't want it any other way. This is where my family is, and with my family is my heart.

That's about it for now, if I can think of anything else you can bet that I'll add more!

Carnation used to live here too! It's your turn!

------------------
"Talk doesn't cook rice."--Someone smart

Visit Alpha Gamma Delta-Delta Sigma chapter and help some sisters out!
Old 04-17-2001, 01:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Isn't it true that there is sort of an engery pull between the island of Hawaii, and the one right next to it? I read some where that you if you cross in a boat that is small enough you can feel all this engery pulling on each other, like they move towards each other, and then pushing away, like magnets?
Old 04-17-2001, 02:49 AM
Unregistered-

Question

Billy,

I've never read about any magnetic forces in the Alenuihaha Channel (the part of the ocean b/n the Big Island and Maui). The channel is infamous for fierce winds and treacherous seas.

Many boaters experience tough times on the channel. In the annual canoe race, paddlers often report that the crossing the channel was their most difficult part of the race. Historically, chiefs and gods often traveled through this channel. Translated into English, Alenuihaha is fittingly "the angry woman".

------------------

Old 04-17-2001, 09:08 AM

Thumbs up

It looks like I've started a trend with the "Tell me about Texas" thread.... LOL!

I LOVE HAWAII!!

Hawaii is great. I've been fortunate to visit there 3 times: Oahu, Maui and Kauai.
It is so beautiful and I love visiting there! I love the Polynesia feeling and here is an interesting fact: Hawaii is the only state with a Royal Palace in it! (The palace belonged to the Hawaiian Kings and Queens...you can use that fact to torment people while playing Jeopardy or Trivial Pursuit!!).

Hawaii has all kinds of interesting legends, I just love it there!

Hawaii is also very multi-cultural, and people here are of diverse and varied backgrounds. Also, everyone is so friendly and in such a good mood all the time (I suspect the weather has something to do with it?)

Oahu has good shopping...Waikiki has all kinds of cool shops and of course, the Ala Moana Centre. Kauai is known as "The Garden Isle", as it is very green here and less commercialized than Oahu.

I've also visited the U of Hawaii - Manoa Campus where OohTeenyWahine attends university. It is lovely and kind of up on a slope, a short bus ride from Waikiki!
OTW...how do you go to class when the weather is so gorgeous? That is discipline, I tell you!!

Go there, you'll love it.!
Old 04-17-2001, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

OohTeenyWahine,
Thanks for the info. I love Hawaiin legends.
Old 04-17-2001, 04:59 PM
Unregistered-

Cool

Cutie...you're right. It's very difficult going to class when it's a beautiful beach day. Then again, Manoa can be rainy in the morning, so going to class is difficult then too!

------------------

Old 04-17-2001, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

My sister lives in Hawaii, in Kailua. It is SO beautiful there it's unbelievable. Everytime I talk to her on the phone, they're packing up to have a picnic on the beach, go to a luau, or something like that. I'm so jealous!
Old 04-17-2001, 06:25 PM
Unregistered-

You're right, Diva, Kailua is really beautiful. Their beach is amazing! I swear, Kailua Beach has to have the whitest sand and clearest waters!

It's also in a prime spot in the island. I've always felt that Kailua was a pretty self sufficient town. If you need anything you can get it in Kailua! I live in Salt Lake, which is very close to the airport and the different military bases, but I have to drive 10-20 minutes just to get around!

Kailua residents have pride in their town every year when their hold parades and "I LOVE KAILUA!" parties. The homes there are also beautiful.
Old 04-17-2001, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

Cool

Hi--I lived in Honolulu for a year and a half. I loved it! Even though I was one of the downtrodden grad students! I loved the rainbow of people and their cultures, the weather,the ono food, the variety of things to do...it was incredible!

What was hard for me (besides the cost of rent!) was "rock fever"; I'd always lived in the big old, neverending state of Texas and I suddenly realized that here I was 2500 miles out in the Pacific without any family or longtime friends! It was scary, and that's why lots of people leave. But... I will never forget my wonderful stay there!
Old 04-18-2001, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the info OTW