GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Gamma Delta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,620
0 members and 2,620 guests
No Members online

Old 02-12-2008, 06:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownGirl98 View Post
Well... I've got good news... and I've got bad news...

Which to do want first????

Bad... I won't be able to attend convention this year... so sad.
Good News... because I found out today that I'm 11 weeks pregnant!!!! YEAH!! I've known for a while but thought I was only 7 or 8 weeks pregnant which would allow to me still fly down. BUT NOW!!! I won't be allowed to! And the doc doesn't want me to travel after 32 weeks!

So it looks like I will have to wait another two years! Maybe this next time, it will be within 2 hours of my home (HINT HINT HINT to the BIG SQUIRRELS!! Nashville, Lexington, Louisville, somewhere in OHIO!!!)

Congrats! Here's hoping for a legacy!

The next Convention location has been probably been booked since last year, it's just kept very quiet until the official announcement! I believe someone said once that they have to book 3 or 4 years in advance to get the facilities, etc. 2010 is probably a done deal, but lobbying for 2012 could be useful! (oh my gosh, that's the year my daughter graduates from high school!)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-12-2008, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks everyone! If convention was closer to home then I would attempt the 32 week time but I'm worried about getting stuck in some RFD area... not the birth plan I want.

As to location... I figured that it was already set but I was just hoping it was going to be on the East Coast again. We seem to have a pattern to our locations... Atlanta (EC) Chicago (Mid-Cont), California (WC), San Antonio (Mid-Cont), so hopefully 2010 will be within a 5 or 6 hour travel time for me. I do hope to go to convention before I'm 90.

VanSquirrel... so sorry to hear about your aunt. I understand the long time cancer can affect a family and the trials and tribulations that can occur from it. I'll keep you and your's in my prayers.
Each day has enough trouble of its own!" ~Matthew 6:34
Old 02-12-2008, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

So I found my convention info in the mailbox when I came home for lunch, and does anyone happen to know what events VandalShyster can attend? It says guests can come to certain events but I wasn't sure which ones those are. I'm guessing the dinner at the ranch and the diabetes walk, and maybe the opening dinner.

I'll probably call IHQ, but since many of you have been at past conventions I thought you might know off hand.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:55 AM
GreekChat Member

AGDee presented a horror story of "Convention luggage". Can any of you who have been to convention before offer advice on what kind of and how much clothing to bring for Convention? I'm so excited that Convention is in my area and that I'm not, nor plan to become, pregnant this Convention year so I'm actually going to attend for the first time!

Please advise on Convention clothes!
Old 02-13-2008, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Your confirmation packet will come with a list of what appropriate attire is for each day/evening. We DO need a lot of outfits usually. I try to mix and match things, but the bottom line is, the Initiation dress and shoes are only going to be worn once! Other than that, I'm trying to keep the shoes to a minimum by being able to wear a pair of shoes with many outfits rather than having a pair for each outfit. I heard one IC member brag once that she had only brought 12 pairs of shoes that year! My goal is 3 or 4 pair. Somewhere in my multitudes of files, I have a sort of checklist that breaks down each day, day time and evening, into what you're wearing, what jewelry, what undergarments, etc. so you can use it as a packing list and make sure you don't forget anything. I think I got it from AGDZOSusan. We do need a lot of stuff, so don't expect to travel light!
Old 02-13-2008, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

So i know that I took TOOOOO many shoes with me to Pitt this past summer and I know that VST was nothing compared to Convention but I highly suggest tennis shoes (for walking) and flip flop/sandals for meetings because Texas will be getting hot by this time of year... not as bad as August/September but it will be warmer than you might think.

Also... I am a laid back kind of girl... I wear jeans 3 out of the 5 days for work. So here is a suggestion for all those sisters like me... what you might consider "casual" is not "casual" at AGD events... at least that is how it appeared to me. So if you think jeans and a t-shirt is casual, step it up a level. Besides shoes, I took too many t-shirts for sure. Think more along the lines of jeans and polo-shirt or forget the jeans all together and go with nice capri slacks and nice casual dress shirt. Just a suggestion from someone who had an eye opening experience last summer.

Speaking of events at convention... I thought they did more workshops than are presented this time. Are they trying to limit "job-specific" workshops for VST years? Or are the workshops/presentations about normal?

So I did some numbers and I could still attend... I would only be 30 weeks along by then so I could still fly and travel. So I don't know... I will see how things go.
Each day has enough trouble of its own!" ~Matthew 6:34

Last edited by GtownGirl98; 02-13-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Pardon the Interruption

I see that you'll be in San Antonio and going to the Knibbe Ranch one night. Our 2004 Convention was there & we had a ball the night we went to the ranch. It was a fun, laid-back casual night.

Best wishes for a great meeting.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownGirl98 View Post

Speaking of events at convention... I thought they did more workshops than are presented this time. Are they trying to limit "job-specific" workshops for VST years? Or are the workshops/presentations about normal?
Workshops last go round were mainly prior and after convention. Attendance at the ones after convention was sparse, so that idea was nixed this go round. My gatherings as workshops have been created have been that the arrangements for hotel meeting space were made with that idea in mind - hotel meeting space was actually at a premium during convention proper, and I can tell you that resulted in less workshops being offered than were originally planned. There is also a different philosophy in place with the workshops that are offered: much like the new community structure where you see a mixing of alumnae and collegian in roles and responsibilities, most of the workshops are designed to be applicable to collegian and alumnae alike, so that guided the selection of workshops that are being offered this go round, too.

Job specific offerings/discussion one can find at the roundtables, as well as the offerings the day prior to convention. Those topics will be advertised to those who select roundtables as part of the registration process. It was chosen not to include that information in the registration packets because of the information overload that would cause.

Last edited by DoctorD; 02-13-2008 at 05:37 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-13-2008, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Convention is definitely more formal than VLC was. Generally, day time is business casual and evening is dressy. Denim is usually not appropriate (although it's going to be so hot that I can't imagine wearing denim in that heat anyway!).
Old 02-13-2008, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with Dee - convention dress would be on the dressier side of business casual during the day. White dress and shoes for initiation, and nice dress/semi-formal/formal dress for Feast of Roses - you see all of the above the last night.

The philanthropy walk will be walking clothes... so by my count, that's at least 4 pairs of shoes minimum.

Last convention I managed to get everything into a carry on. Don't ask me how! Sheer determination, I tell you. This convention? Not so much.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I usually screw up my fee by getting blisters, etc. before Convention begins and hobble around the rest of the time so I better not this year!!

Hubby was going to meet me afterwards for vacation but timing is iffy b/c we put the house up for sale yesterday and he wants another job.

Still planning on flying out of Bham..just haven't figured out the day and time (prob Wed.). One of the advisors wants to share 2 per room but I told her I could only afford the 4 per room price since I'm paying for it myself. Not sure if an extra collegiate is going: (she'll prob have to pay the majority of funds herself). So far, it's the CA, CP, me and prob the FA.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

The shoes I wore the first day last time gave me horrendous blisters on day 1. The other pair of shoes I had brought for both day time and some evenings also rubbed on those same blisters. I could barely walk at times last time. It was awful. This year, I'm shoe shopping earlier and more carefully.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionInMI View Post
It sounds like I have a lot of shopping to do.
yes, me too .... but what a great excuse!
Old 02-14-2008, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I got my plane tickets today, Northwest airlines, Jun. 17-24 (arriving a day early and leaving a day late), Detroit to San Antonio, non-stop for..... (drum roll) $229!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-14-2008, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Just booked tickets for about $285.

The Atl airport is 20 minutes from my house but tickets would be about $200 more!!

Travel from Bham to Dallas to SA and back on the 18th -23th. Thought about staying that extra day, but didn't want the extra hotel cost

Accidentally booked to return the 27th b/c hubby was originally planning to go and I didn't realize that I made a mistake until I emailed someone my plans Thankfully, Expedia was able to do a 1 time courtesy cancellation. Otherwise it would be at least $130 extra in penalties.