GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 918
1 members and 917 guests
Xidelt

Old 08-27-2010, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

thank you so much for the advice, and i couldnt agree more, there is always an akward silence after something like that has been said.

thank you for your condolences.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:01 AM
GreekChat Member

This has all probably been repeated, but I don't think another repetition could hurt and its stuff I've seen happening that I know from my own experiences (I was a Spring initiate after an unsuccessful Fall) won't do you any favors. The following is just my opinions so by no means should it be taken as gospel truth.

1. Don't ask us when we're giving bids out. That's for us to worry about, and it kind of makes you come off as though you expect one. Just have fun and enjoy the atmosphere, if you're someone we like you'll know it soon enough.

2. If someone asks you who else you're considering, answer truthfully. It isn't a trick or a test, and we won't be offended if you say that you're trying to get a taste of everything. In fact I'd probably respect someone more for admitting as much.

3. Don't ask about or bring up the topic of drinking right off the bat. We are not Delta Tau Chi. Yes, we have functions. Yes, some of these involve alcohol. No, we do not condone or encourage acting like a drunken retard. This one especially makes me want to ram my head into a wall repeatedly.

4. At events, don't spend all your time hovering around the actives. We want to see how you interact with us and with your potential future pledge brothers.

5. If a girl is at a rush event its a good bet she's an active's girlfriend, an active's interest or a sweetheart. Please don't try to hook up with them. It makes you look like an idiot.

6. Don't trash other orgs to us. We all talk, a lot of us have friends in the org you just trashed. No bueno.

7. When you come to our house don't ask me where to buy weed. Had a PNM do this a few days ago, I told him he was in the wrong place and walked away. Seriously? Use your brain.

8. Don't repeat rumors about us/other orgs to us. We've all heard them, 99.9% of them are crap and the other .1% are grossly exaggerated facts.

Thank you, and have a successful recruitment period

ETA: Just realized this was in Sorority Recruitment. Oh well, my points still stand.
Florida Atlantic University
Old 08-28-2010, 09:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston327 View Post
This has all probably been repeated, but I don't think another repetition could hurt and its stuff I've seen happening that I know from my own experiences (I was a Spring initiate after an unsuccessful Fall) won't do you any favors. The following is just my opinions so by no means should it be taken as gospel truth.

1. Don't ask us when we're giving bids out. That's for us to worry about, and it kind of makes you come off as though you expect one. Just have fun and enjoy the atmosphere, if you're someone we like you'll know it soon enough.

2. If someone asks you who else you're considering, answer truthfully. It isn't a trick or a test, and we won't be offended if you say that you're trying to get a taste of everything. In fact I'd probably respect someone more for admitting as much.

3. Don't ask about or bring up the topic of drinking right off the bat. We are not Delta Tau Chi. Yes, we have functions. Yes, some of these involve alcohol. No, we do not condone or encourage acting like a drunken retard. This one especially makes me want to ram my head into a wall repeatedly.

4. At events, don't spend all your time hovering around the actives. We want to see how you interact with us and with your potential future pledge brothers.

5. If a girl is at a rush event its a good bet she's an active's girlfriend, an active's interest or a sweetheart. Please don't try to hook up with them. It makes you look like an idiot.

6. Don't trash other orgs to us. We all talk, a lot of us have friends in the org you just trashed. No bueno.

7. When you come to our house don't ask me where to buy weed. Had a PNM do this a few days ago, I told him he was in the wrong place and walked away. Seriously? Use your brain.

8. Don't repeat rumors about us/other orgs to us. We've all heard them, 99.9% of them are crap and the other .1% are grossly exaggerated facts.

Thank you, and have a successful recruitment period

ETA: Just realized this was in Sorority Recruitment. Oh well, my points still stand.

Preston - no worries. It's a great post - Maybe title it "Fraternity what not to say" or post it in fraternity rush.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Good advice, regardless of where it's posted!
Old 08-28-2010, 10:19 AM

Watch your language!!! The "F" word should not come out of your mouth at all while talking to sorority members at recruitment parties much less multiple times!!!
Old 08-28-2010, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaPrincess24 View Post
Watch your language!!! The "F" word should not come out of your mouth at all while talking to sorority members at recruitment parties much less multiple times!!!

Old 08-28-2010, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Clutching of pearls in 3...2...1...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston327 View Post

This, additionally, don't ask how many guys we're planning on taking. The answer to that question is "enough."
Old 08-29-2010, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

No lie, I've spent the past two days reading this ENTIRE thread. I'm a senior in high school (or will be, I guess, this fall ) and I'm planning on rushing next year, and I want to make sure that I'm well prepared. Thank you all SO much for this.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Quote:
Oh yes, I had that happen!
This was the same chick who came in chewing gum and later was desperate to find a place to spit it out. I had to dig in my purse for a tissue
And yes I was like "WTF?
I thought it--I didn't say it!
Old 08-30-2010, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

I thought Continuous Open Bid would be more relaxing. It isn't! After being asked if I were available on a certain day, I responded with times, but haven't heard back!! What now, nothing?
Old 08-30-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyrowl View Post
I thought Continuous Open Bid would be more relaxing. It isn't! After being asked if I were available on a certain day, I responded with times, but haven't heard back!! What now, nothing?
See the responses in the other thread that you started. Heed them.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to cali_gossip Send a message via Skype™ to cali_gossip
Quote:
Ugh I can't stress this enough! Last fall we had a girl come through and when she was asked why she wanted to go greek her response was (and I kid you NOT), "I f**ing hate girls but I thought I'd rush to learn to get along with them. All the other sororities I just saw were a bunch of c**ts though and y'all are the best. F*** the rest of those b***es I wanna go DZ!"

Needless to say, she did not come back.

Another thing related to this, if the girl that is rushing you drops an F bomb, don't think it's okay to do it too. It may feel like it's a really laid back conversation but other girls around you can hear it and not take it well.

DZ
Old 09-16-2010, 05:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to cali_gossip Send a message via Skype™ to cali_gossip
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
Clutching of pearls in 3...2...1...
LOL!

DZ
Old 09-21-2010, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

when, if ever, is it appropriate to tell a sorority (honestly) that they are your favorite?
Old 09-21-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddisaurus View Post
when, if ever, is it appropriate to tell a sorority (honestly) that they are your favorite?
I wouldn't ever tell a chapter that, but that's just my opinion.

Favorite may not feel the same way about you, and that puts the active in an awkward position.

Lakers Nation.