GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,805
3 members and 1,802 guests
speedsters

Old 02-27-2003, 01:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for your response...
I go to IU...Indiana University...where Greek Life is like the major part of campus.. There are many sororites on campus...there are 19 with houses...Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Epsilon Phi, Alpha Gamma Delta, Alpha Omicron Pi, Alpha Phi, Alpha Xi Delta, Chi Omega, Delta Delta Delta, Delta Gamma, Delta Zeta, Gamma Phi Beta, Kappa Alpha Theta, Kappa Delta, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Phi Mu, Pi Beta Phi, Sigma Delta Tau, and Zeta Tau Alpha...and a few without houses. Each house is huge...they have one house for sell right now at over $1 million and they usually have 100 to 150 girls in each.

Formal Recruitment is a big deal at our school that spans from around October in the fall semester to January in the spring semester. You go to every house at 19 party...then you rank...then you hang out with your rho chi and get to know your rush group better...then come january you go to 12, 6 and 3 party by invite....I made it to three party and then didn't get invited back after. I had thought that all three houses went well and the conversations were great. I understand that houses can only pick so many girls and there are obviously people more fun and enjoyable then me! haha

So I signed up for informal rush and a house that I ranked in the bottom few on my list called me. I am very open minded and of course gave them a chance. I went to their events like every day for almost 2 weeks. It was fun and I enjoyed it but was unsure if it felt like "home." The last event I went to, I took my roommate who wasn't even rushing..she just wanted to see what sororites were like, and they called my room that night and asked to talk to her and invited her to join. I was like "WTF?!?!" but its cool.

So now I am wondering if it is time to give up. Since our campus has such a huge Greek Presense, I feel like I am missing out a great deal.

About myself:
My grades are good...my GPA usually fluctuates between 2.7 and 3.0. I am a business marketing major which is a very commom major at my school.

I actually got recommendations for a few different houses from various alumna...two actually from the chapters here at IU.

I am not a legacy but I have a cousin in one house that graduated last year.

I am in volved in extracurricular activites as much as any business major can be. Habitat for Humanity, Toastmasters, sports, and work

As far as my looks...i know it may sound shallow but I know just from my cousin that at least her house looked for people "You could share clothes with" if you know what i mean.

I am 5'7 with straight blonde hair past my shoulders, I weigh like 130 and I am in shape (as far as sharing clothes...size 5)...constantly smiling...god attitude! all my friends were shocked to find out that I wasnt invited to join...even some of my friends in the houses are like "Im gonna try to find out why you didn;t get invited back"

Based on all that...I feel like going through rush again is like kicking a dead horse...

Gosh, I have written a novel here! sorry!

well any advise you can give me is appreciated!

Thanks a bunch!
Kelly
Old 02-27-2003, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

IU Kelly

Here's my advice, and anyone can chime in if they think I'm wrong...

If you're a freshman, then go through rush again. I have several friends who went through rush their freshman year, did not get picked up by any houses (that they wanted), worked hard after that (GPA, community service, etc), and got into a great house their sophomore year.

If you're a sophomore, its going to be tough, but I say go for it again. I know one house that took a junior last year, and they're not that bad.

A lot of the houses with "bad reps" have improved tremendously over the past 3 years. And seeing as how there are fewer fraternities every semester, everyone is partying with everyone now anyway.

Also, if the house was lower on your rush "pref" list, I would still keep an open mind and give it a try (visits that is). Sorority rush is so intense and I couldnt imagine a girl getting an accurate view of a house in the 30 minutes that they alot.

If you dont "feel" the sorority, then I would say not to go with it. I'm sure people can tell you sob stories of how they joined a sorority they didnt feel comfortable in, just to be greek, and ended up regretting it later.

On the flip side, there are girls who join a house that they didnt like at first, and LOVE it now. As you know, houses at IU are HUGE, so it would be impossible for you not to find girls with similar interests in whatever house you join.

And of course, you can always go through pledgeship (or whatever the pc term is for it now) and if you dont like it, drop out before initiation.

I guess the true question is, is it better to be Greek in a house that you might not like then to not be greek at all.

For some people, the answer varies.

If you want any more advice...or if you have questions about specific houses, PM me and we'll chat.

But keep working, many houses have informal rush in the fall, its very secretive, but if you connect with the right people, you may find yourself in a house yet!

Xp2k
Old 05-08-2003, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Exclamation Bump!

I'm bumping this because it's being discussed on the board again and I think it's always an important topic. This is a rockin' thread.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RedFox
Arrow Here's my situation...

I'll be formally rushing as a junior in the fall at Univ of Tennessee...I have some concerns because of my upperclassmen age. I'm really not worried about anything else because I'm pretty outgoing, really nice and I think I can definitely contribute to being a good sister in a sorority. Here's my delimma:

Since I'm transferring I'll more than likely be there for 3 years. Also another thing, if they ask why I didn't rush earlier, I'm going to tell them what happen (*the reason was that I didn't know what I wanted to major in so i took as many core classes as I could so I wouldn't fall behind. I also didn't think, since I was so busy with classes, that it'd be fair to put in a half-assed job to a sorority or to myself. When I give to an organization I give 150% and at the time, I knew I couldn't so I didn't want to sacrifice either of us.*) In high school, however, I was MAD busy. I was involved with 5-6 organizations throughout high school and managed to maintain my time, have a social life and maintain pretty good grades. My organizations were pretty diverse too and I was never in a "group" of friends, just a floater. I was involved mainly in the performing arts department (and still am when I get a chance, in the community) I am a memeber of my schools Thespian troupe, and I am also a member of the Tri-M Music Honor Society. I was also in a group called Showtime and Showstoppers which are very elite choral groups where we sang and danced, competed (in Disney World and actually junior year we had a competition on a Carnival cruise to the Bahamas and won first place! Go us!) and also performed in and around the community for nursing homes and Special Love which is a camp for kids with cancer. It was a lot of fun and I did that all 4 years. I also was a cheerleader for two years and I cheered on the basketball, football, lacrosse, wrestling, soccer and baseball squads as well as competition squad. In addition to ALL that *yeah, I know, SOO much, right!* I was photo editor for my schools nationally recognized yearbook for two years. I also performed in One Acts, all the theater shows and this show called Blast from the Past which is a rock and roll revial of oldies songs, great times, and I definitely still keep in touch with all the people. But anyway, thats my story.

Also, just because I'm a junior doesn't mean I still can't contribute after I graduate, right? Although college is 4 years at a school (or 2-3 years in my case) sister's don't just stop after college, sisterhood lasts a lifetime, and I definitely plan to mention that!

Thanks to everyone who supports the potential rushees for the fall and good luck to everyone who is rushing! *Mwah*
Old 05-09-2003, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Red Fox---

What you just explained is fantastic!

I think if you told the women what you just said to us (about your involvement on campus, your accomplishments, the fact you'll be there 3 years, and that you want to be an active alum in your future group), they'd be crazy to cut you just because you were a junior.

However, I'm sure someone can speak to U of Tennessee's rush specifically....
Old 05-09-2003, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Be sure to tell every single active you speak to that you'll be at UT for three years. And tell them what you told us. Just don't say "half-assed" during the parties.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I went through formal rush as a sophomore. We do formal rush here second semester. The spring before, in my freshman year, I went through the COB process(it was an interview and a party) w/ DG w/ my roommate and got a bid but decided not to take it because I decided that I would rather check out more than one sorority. Vanderbilt is a huge Greek school, with 50% of women in sororities. I really did want to be in a sorority as a freshman, but I didn't know anything about rush(I prolly would have at least registered for it if I did). Also, my friends were negative about it. I figured if my friends weren't doing it, we could all not do it together. However, two of them ended up taking snap bids/COb bids, and I was SO jealous. Anyways, formal rush as a sophomore was HARD. My friends told me I would automatically be cut from certain houses, but I have been Dean's List every semester, and I'm a cute enough girl, so I arbitrarily figured this would help. Anyways, let's just say I didn't have a full schedule for each round. I actually heard that the houses that took sophomores had pretty much picked out their sophomores already. One house that I knew a bunch of girls in automatically cuts sophomores(they have a rep for very viciously rejecting any sophomores). One girl I knew from a class who was a transfer actually got invited back to enough houses at least first round that she had to cut one, and another ended up falling through or dropping out. There were only two Rho Chi groups of sophomores, and I know most of us fell through or either dropped out. We had a sophomore bonus, which I didn't know about at the time. We won't have that next spring, cause basically the bigger houses benefitted and ended up over quota. The friends that I had that were Greek were in primarily two houses, and I had hallmates from freshman year in one house that I LOVED and then got cut from, I think in part because these two hallmates and I didn't know each other well, and they didn't get along with my friends on the hall. Since I didn't know girls in many other houses, I had only my stereotypes to rely on. I ended up loving some of the houses my friends had told me were snotty, bitchy, or even racist, but unfortunately I didn't have anyone in the house to vouch for me. For example, let's say one house is very exclusive. I had heard they were shallow and such. However, one of my sweetest hallmates, who moved to our hall that semester right around rush, was in this sorority. Also, my Rho Chi, who I thought was awesome and very similar to me, was in that house. The only girls I had known of in that house before DID fit the stereotype. I would advise anyone rushing as a sophomore to go to all the events they can before rush and meet at least one girl in each house. I'm in a house now with a lot of friends from freshman year, but some of my favorite girls are friends that I didn't have before rushing. It was one of my favorite houses going in, but I still wonder maybe what house I would have ended up in if I had rushed as a freshman. A friend who COB'd said that even though she loves her house, she knows she wouldn't have been there if she had formal rushed. Also, if I were rushing again, I would have gone out of my way at the houses I liked to emphasize that I really wanted to be there. I would have tried to explain why I really, really wanted to be in a sorority finally instead of going along with regular rush conversation. So that's my experience and advice...
Old 06-10-2003, 01:54 AM
GreekChat Member

bump -- several posts in this rush forum have inquired about this issue, so am bumping it up, along with another started by Carolina Cutie....
Old 06-10-2003, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Cluey Send a message via Yahoo to Cluey
I have a question...

As I may have mentioned before, I work with high school seniors.

One of my former students dropped by school today and asked for my opinion on going through recruitment at The University of Florida as a sophomore. She's delaying recruitment for all the right reasons (mainly GPA), but I just don't know if that will ultimately effect her ability to join a sorority.

What do y'all think?

She's supposed to be stopped by to see me again next week, so I will relay any and all advice offered!
Old 06-11-2003, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to polarpi
Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
At smaller schools, without big houses, I echo what everyone else has said - your class year really doesn't matter at all.
I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on this point. (Not trying to attack, this is just my experience with the issue).

My university is pretty heavily Greek (more than 1/3 of the students of a population of about 3500). I went through formal recruitment as a sophomore, and while I'm saying that sororities don't specifically cut women because they're not freshmen, there is a tendency for the older PNM's to get lost in the shuffle. Because (edited to fix: total instead of quota) is only 53 girls, sororities are very conscientious of taking "too many" of a certain class size. One of our top sororities was in the position going into my senior year that they lost 30 sisters through graduation. It was a tough loss for them, but they came back and did an excellent COR and Formal Recruitment.

I'm not saying that at all smaller schools that class year does matter, just that it did matter at my university.

Last edited by polarpi; 06-11-2003 at 12:50 AM.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:18 AM

polarpi,

I guess I should have worded that "schools with smaller Greek systems." I'm going from the vantage point of my school, where only about 10% of the 6000 students are Greek. In your situation, I totally agree with you.
Old 06-11-2003, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Cluey,

You or your student might want to contact curlygirly because she rushed at UF as a sophomore last year.
Old 06-11-2003, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

University of North Florida is a mid sized school. there are over 13,000 students. i dont know the percentage of students that are greek. i do know that last year, about 150 girls went through rush with quota being in the forties (there are three sororities and a forth one coming in the fall). when it comes to class standing, all girls get a fair shot. that is good for me cause i am in the middle of sophmore year. there are a number of girls that i know who are in sororities that have been giving me great support. that helps so much.
Old 06-11-2003, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Cluey Send a message via Yahoo to Cluey
Quote:
Originally posted by carnation
Cluey,

You or your student might want to contact curlygirly because she rushed at UF as a sophomore last year.
Good idea! Thanks for the reminder!
Old 06-21-2003, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

curlygirly is outta town

Curlygirly has been studying in Spain for the summer...though I believe she's getting back within the next couple weeks.

As a UF alumna, I do know that you have the most opportunity if you rush as a freshman. Sororities limit the number of sophs & juniors that they take - and often, those spots go to legacies. The next way they determine is by GPA. Though you might have a 3.1 GPA as a soph, there are other sophs who have higher GPAs..

Hope this helps...at least till CG can answer.