GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,572
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, jhngooglet5007
» Online Users: 2,475
1 members and 2,474 guests
LaneSig

Old 05-22-2006, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Smile academic regalia

I was wondering what you guys' academic regalia (hoods, gowns) look like. My doctoral hood is lined with maroon and white satin (for Mississippi State) and the edge is royal blue for the Ph.D.--a doctor can have either the royal blue of the Ph.D. of the color of the particular field. Yellow with maroon? Ack, I chose blue, a no-brainer. Then the 3 stripes on my sleeves are royal blue as well.

Last year when my oldest got her master's, her edge and tassel were sage green for her field. I thought that was pretty cool, there are some awful possibilities in colors out there.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-22-2006, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Scandia
My Masters hood was yellow and green because those were the school's colors.

My tassel was lemon yellow. It was the color assigned for Library and Information Science. I wish they had picked a nicer color- I am not fond of yellow.

Theta Phi Alpha
Old 05-23-2006, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

I just received my master's degree hood a little over a week ago... The color combo is decent - the hood has blue trim (for education) and black and red are the colors on the inner portion of the hood (for Whitworth College). My tassel is light blue, also for education.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
My masters hood is white for M.A. in history with gold & brown for Georgia College (not too exciting).

(I framed my diplomas with a double inner mat with the school colors.)
Old 05-23-2006, 08:36 AM
GreekChat Member

My masters hood was sage green trimmed with blue and white for UK. The bookstore gave me and another classmate the wrong hood color. We were supposed to have pink.

I still received the degree so I don't care LOL!
Old 05-23-2006, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

I just recieved my bachelors so nothing really fancy, but my tassel was white for Arts & Sciences.

Our program had a description of all of the robes and caps and hoods and an explanation of the colors. Was very interesting reading when the President was talking
Old 05-23-2006, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to squirrely girl
for my ma the hood colors were red and white - red for the school and white for the degree

but i totally agree that there are some scary combos out there - i am totally opting for the blue at the phd level

- marissa
A GD
Old 05-23-2006, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AXiD670
I wish my undergrad had done that...we all just had black tassels. However, I had two undergrad degrees, so would I had to have chosen one, or could I have worn two tassels?
I think you get to choose one - one of my sisters/roommates had double B.S. degrees in forestry and in botany, so she had the option between golden yellow for a B.S. and something unattractive like brown for the school of forest resources.

Although I don't remember specifically, I think (hope?) that she probably bought both tassels and wore the pretty golden yellow.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Those with degrees in two different "fields" wore two colors of tassels at our school.

And anything is better than the traditional business school color: "drab" ...talk about ugly brown.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Drolefille
Those with degrees in two different "fields" wore two colors of tassels at our school.
Awww, now I'm really sad my school didn't let us do colored tassels.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FeeFee
My bachelor's hood was brown (Business)
My master's hood was light blue (Education)
Black caps, gowns and tassels for both.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

ditto on the yellow - MLS here too.

Quote:
Originally posted by Scandia
My Masters hood was yellow and green because those were the school's colors.

My tassel was lemon yellow. It was the color assigned for Library and Information Science. I wish they had picked a nicer color- I am not fond of yellow.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:34 AM
GreekChat Member

My MLitt was a black gown with strange cutout sleeves, no hat (we don't do caps of any kind at St Andrews), and a black hood which was lined with saffron (dark yellowy-orange) silk. It's bloody heavy - it hooks onto the top button of a shirt and nearly pulled my top off after graduation last November. I'm thinking of pinning it to the gown for the next time I have to wear it...

The PhD dress here (which I will hopefully get in 2008 if everything goes to plan) is an electric blue silk gown, and electric blue hood lined with white silk. They're sooo lovely!

I've seen some pretty awful academic dress as well including a particularly lurid green and orange number (I've no idea where it was from), magenta and blue (not so much the colours, but the style of the gown and the hat), and green with mid-brown. What were these institutions thinking, other than they have to be different to everyone else??

nb - Our hoods don't have any indication of the particular school or department in which one studied, rather they're just the degree (ie. all MLitts are saffron, all MAs are cherry red, undergrad scientists even get fake fur on theirs!)

Last edited by ShyViolet; 05-29-2006 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jubilance1922 Send a message via Yahoo to jubilance1922
Quote:
Originally posted by alphaxikt
I think you get to choose one - one of my sisters/roommates had double B.S. degrees in forestry and in botany, so she had the option between golden yellow for a B.S. and something unattractive like brown for the school of forest resources.

Although I don't remember specifically, I think (hope?) that she probably bought both tassels and wore the pretty golden yellow.
Man, I graduated from the engineering college, and we had these ugly orange tassels. I hated wearing that thing!

I'm graduating this summer with my M.S. and I can't wait to order my hood and wear it.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Haha.
My tassel was drab... its an ugly mustard yellow. Blah.
My hood for my MBA was black and yellow.