GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,467
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Bioxtrim
» Online Users: 1,207
0 members and 1,207 guests
No Members online

Old 05-04-2009, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

UT Austin Greek Life

I am thinking about attending UT Austin sometime. I know there is a lot of various organizations there, but greek life still remains big. I want to be apart of the greek system in life, however I am half hispanic that looks full, im not ashamed of my race at all, but i know greek life is mostly made up of whites. i know other universies in texas have minorities in them, for example at texas tech being a huge greek school as well and located in west texas, have minorities in all the big greek fraternites except for a few that friends have told me who go there. but i know ut austin gets you the better education, So my question is:

What "good" big greek fraternites have hispanics in them or if any at ut austin?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-11-2009, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

You should join your Fraternity based on the values of the organization, the members, and the experiences you think you will gain from them

Also, it's Texas, I can almost guarantee you that there will be at least a couple of Hispanic people in each Fraternity

If you are looking for a Fraternity to join particularly based off of the racial demographic, there are a few Hispanic Fraternities that are specifically "Hispanic Fraternities"
Old 05-12-2009, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletBlueGold View Post
You should join your Fraternity based on the values of the organization, the members, and the experiences you think you will gain from them

Also, it's Texas, I can almost guarantee you that there will be at least a couple of Hispanic people in each Fraternity

If you are looking for a Fraternity to join particularly based off of the racial demographic, there are a few Hispanic Fraternities that are specifically "Hispanic Fraternities"
Good advice, but I hope the OP doesn't pursue one of the Latino fraternities ONLY because of his ethnicity (he'll be in for a rude awakening if this is the case).

Old 05-01-2010, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Question HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am a hispanic teen and i want to go to UT. i want mto know if i can enter a fraternity with any people of any race because i am really into stepping and strolling but i want to join any frat. can anyone relate to this thnx. K who? K NU
Old 05-01-2010, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappa phi nu View Post
i am a hispanic teen and i want to go to UT. i want mto know if i can enter a fraternity with any people of any race because i am really into stepping and strolling but i want to join any frat. can anyone relate to this thnx. K who? K NU
You sound too stupid.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Wait I'm confused. You want to join a fraternity yet your user name is 3 Greek Letters. wtf?
Old 05-02-2010, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So you want to join a "frat" to step and stroll? I'm sure all the fraternities will welcome you with open arms.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Per House Bill 4972, passed in Congress on March 15, 2005, Hispanics are not allowed to stroll or step. Sorry.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Per House Bill 4972, passed in Congress on March 15, 2005, Hispanics are not allowed to stroll or step. Sorry.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistol235 View Post
I am thinking about attending UT Austin sometime. I know there is a lot of various organizations there, but greek life still remains big. I want to be apart of the greek system in life, however I am half hispanic that looks full, im not ashamed of my race at all, but i know greek life is mostly made up of whites. i know other universies in texas have minorities in them, for example at texas tech being a huge greek school as well and located in west texas, have minorities in all the big greek fraternites except for a few that friends have told me who go there. but i know ut austin gets you the better education, So my question is:

What "good" big greek fraternites have hispanics in them or if any at ut austin?

How is this not racist, just because he is Hispanic he can they are made up of whites? People say white organizations stay white but you can't know that when you join the black or hispanic or asian ones. Texas has lots of Hispanics in it these days so I wonder if this was a joke? Why does it matter if something is good? You aren't joining for the name, you are joining for the friends.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:29 AM
Banned

Shadow why would he be in a rude awakening if he joined a Latino fraternity? You can't say you have a love for playing golf and tennis as some white people or that I love to fix hotrods like you do. We typically go where society has assigned us.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoheadlines View Post
Shadow why would he be in a rude awakening if he joined a Latino fraternity? You can't say you have a love for playing golf and tennis as some white people or that I love to fix hotrods like you do. We typically go where society has assigned us.
I like how you try to act like you know shit about me based on the organization I'm a part of.

You still sound stupid

Old 05-03-2010, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

All of the fraternities at UT (that I know members in) have some Hispanic kids as members, but they are still usually kids from the same towns, highschools, camps, etc. where current members come from. Being Hispanic in Texas is not an unusual thing.

As an aside: Is it just me, or is grammar, spelling and punctuation going out the window? Some of the posts make me cringe to think that a college bound kid is writing them.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:39 AM
GreekChat Member

@op: If you're looking for the fratty experience at Texas, then going to a hispanic fraternity isn't going to be for you, and as Shadow said, you'd be in for a rude awakening. You shouldn't chose a fraternity based on it's demographics, but rather whether or not you like the people in it and they like you. That's why people fishing for those big houses may end up disappointed because they didn't get the bid from the name brand house that they wouldn't have meshed with and completely overlooked a better fit because it didn't come with the name status. My advice, try to rush as many houses as you can, and take a bid from the house that you feel will provide you with the best fit.
@ato: The reason shadow is saying he'd be in for a rude awakening by going to a latino fraternity is because, by the way OP's written his post, it seems like he's looking for the fratty fraternity experience, something absent in the hispanic fraternities at Texas. So if he decides to join a latino fraternity just because they're all hispanic, he'll be in for a rude awakening when he finds out that they aren't the fratty type.