GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,433
0 members and 1,433 guests
No Members online

Old 12-16-2015, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post

I am VERY curious about this badge!! It certainly looks like it's akin to Chi Omega, but I don't think it's ours. The date on the back is 1926.
Especially love the guard! What an interesting placement of the pearls!
Old 12-23-2015, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Small collection, but precious in my eyes

This is my very small badge collection. I love reading about our history and I love researching the women who wore these badges before me. Not a lot of Delta Zeta represented in this thread because our badges have been standardized since day one. They are some small differences that can only be seen throughout the years. The setting of the diamond in the flame of the lamp can change, but only varied within four settings, the "flower", the "triangle", 3-prong Tiffany setting, and the 4-prong Tiffany setting. Our chapter unfortunately did not allow us a choice, but there is a choice between solid gold and gold plate. The older badges are not as shiny or "bright gold" compared to the new badge. In is my personal opinion that the Roman Lamp has been squished down some and the Wings of Mercury have been shortened, but that may be just me!

Ollie (Klotz) Cowie, February 14th, 1919. Lambda Chapter. Kansas State Agricultural College, now known as Kansas State University

Evelyn (Nettles) Tallon, February 26th, 1954. Alpha Sigma Chapter. Florida State University

The back of Evelyn (Nettles) Tallon's badge. She had it made into a necklace! We are not allowed to wear the Delta Zeta badge anywhere other than pinned above the heart, which makes this badge especially rare in my eyes!

My own personal badge. November 23rd, 2014. Zeta Psi Chapter. Stephen F. Austin State University. Slowly building up my dangles. I have a surprising amount I can put on but they are expensive!

Does anyone know anything about this particular badge? It was attached to Ollie (Klotz) Cowie's badge. She went to the Kansas State Agricultural College, now known as Kansas State University. I went through their online yearbooks from the time and couldn't find anything to match the letters. She married a Richard Cowie, who was in the Masons and American Legion but I can't find anything to match this particular badge.
Old 12-24-2015, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Were there any women's honorary organizations that she might have belonged to that match these letters?
Old 12-24-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDZPledge View Post
The back of Evelyn (Nettles) Tallon's badge. She had it made into a necklace! We are not allowed to wear the Delta Zeta badge anywhere other than pinned above the heart, which makes this badge especially rare in my eyes!
I think our Badge would make a really pretty necklace! I wish we were allowed to do that.
Old 12-24-2015, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think that I've ever posted photos of my Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi badge. All of our badges originally come in two pieces. I remember that the diamond shaped portion with the paw and Magen David is to be given to a new member before her initiation, and then the banner with our letters is attached after initiation.

I had the two sections permanently set together, and the engraved with my initials on the back by a local jeweler.

I hope that when my daughter goes on to college, she (hopefully!) is able to become a Sigma. I would love it if she was able to wear my badge!

Old 12-24-2015, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Were there any women's honorary organizations that she might have belonged to that match these letters?
She graduated from Wilson High School in Wilson, Kansas in 1916. Unfortunately, any information about any organizations from the High School are unavailable. I first found a mention of her in the 1918 version of the Royal Purple, Kansas State Agricultural College's yearbook. She is listed as a sophomore in the 1919 yearbook so in 1918, she was a freshman. I don't know why she took 2 years off after graduating High School. Different times I'm guessing. She was a member of St. Cecelia Club.
I believe that she is in the front row, right in the middle. No clues as to what that club was. I found a Saint Cecelia Music Club in Florida in 1917 and a Saint Cecelia Music Club in North Dakota but I don't know for sure if they are all connected. The only other mention of her is in 1919, on the Delta Zeta Page.

This is the last time she is mentioned in college. She is not in the 1920 yearbook. Her son, Richard K. Cowie, was born December 18th, 1923, so I would guess that she left college and married after 1919. Looking for the letters on the pin in the yearbook doesn't show anything. It must have been important for her to have attached it to her Delta Zeta badge!
Old 12-28-2015, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

DoubleDZPledge
So glad you posted. Each of the badges you shared have lovely diamond settings. I'm pleased that you have made the effort to find out more about the owner of the badges and share pictures. You, I and Kilarney Rose should each separately post on the FB page that we would like the issue of wearing the badge on a necklace (high enough to be "over the heart"). There are early pictures from our Alpha chapters showing members wearing their badges left, right and center.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscherrypie View Post
I don't think that I've ever posted photos of my Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi badge. All of our badges originally come in two pieces. I remember that the diamond shaped portion with the paw and Magen David is to be given to a new member before her initiation, and then the banner with our letters is attached after initiation.
Do you have a picture of the diamond shaped portion minus the banner?

The only other sorority I know of where the new member pin becomes part of the badge is Alpha Chi Omega. A NM receives a stick pin. When she is initiated, she wears her NM stick pin with her big sister's badge, until her own badge arrives - then she returns her big's badge to her and wears her own badge with stick pin unless and until she gets a little. (AXOs, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)
Old 12-30-2015, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post

The only other sorority I know of where the new member pin becomes part of the badge is Alpha Chi Omega. A NM receives a stick pin. When she is initiated, she wears her NM stick pin with her big sister's badge, until her own badge arrives - then she returns her big's badge to her and wears her own badge with stick pin unless and until she gets a little. (AXOs, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)
I hunted through my Pinterest repository of badge photos for any other examples of new member pins turned into badge guards. I thought I'd seen it happening more but maybe not? I did find a KKG photo I think I originally got from here and the link for it is now dead, but other than that that was it.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/290622982176212270/

Old 12-30-2015, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

No, I don't unfortunately. I will see if I can find a photo, and if I can, I will post it.

This badge is the second iteration of our badge, the first of which which I think that one my sisters posted a photo of somewhere in this thread and was used until very recently. The original badges were a single piece, if I remember correctly.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Not so. A member is free to wear her new member pin (which is not always a stick pin. I wish mine was!) whenever she chooses. Some use it like a chapter guard, others wear it side by side, some pin their mystagee with it, some never wear it again. I've seen sisters wear their NM pin as a pendant in lieu of using their badge for a necklace. However, the NM pin and full member badge are not inherently worn together.

I have noticed that Tri Delts wear their crescent and trident together, though.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:04 AM

^ I see. Thank you for the correction. Maybe this was just what was done at the chapter at my school. When the AXO chapter got a house, all sorority members on campus were invited to an open house, and I remember seeing some juniors and seniors wearing their new member stick pins without a badge - because their littles were wearing their badges.

I would love to wear my NM pin as a pendant or mount it on a ring ... but we aren't allowed to make our NM pins or badges into any other form of jewelry. I'd love to be able to wear my NM pin as a pendant...... oh, have I vented about this before?
Old 01-10-2016, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Zeta Mergers

I thought this may be of interest to a few people. I visited the HQ and museum for Delta Zeta this summer. As I love badges, I snapped this pic. It's the badges, new member pins, recognition pins, and flowers of each of Delta Zeta's mergers.

From the website "The first of four mergers by Delta Zeta Sorority with other sororities occurred in 1941 with Beta Phi Alpha, the first collegiate fraternity for women to originate on the United States' West Coast. Organized as Bide-a-Wee at the University of California/Berkeley, in 1909, it had become a Greek-letter organization by 1919 and was admitted to the National Panhellenic Conference in 1923. At their convention in Lakeside, Ohio in 1941, Beta Phi Alpha delegates voted to become part of Delta Zeta. Phi Omega Pi was founded at the University of Nebraska as the Achoth (Hebrew for "sisters") Sorority and was for women affiliated with the Order of the Eastern Star. The sisterhood became a Greek organization in 1922, and in the next 11 years merged with several sororities. Phi Omega Pi became a part of Delta Zeta in 1946. Delta Sigma Epsilon had been founded at Miami University in 1914 by a group of women committed to scholarship and high ideals. Devoted to students in education, it had chapters on four campuses within 17 months. Delta Sigma Epsilon merged with Delta Zeta in 1956. Theta Upsilon was founded on the University of California/Berkeley campus in 1909. Choosing the name Mekatina, a Native American word meaning "among the hills," the group became an official university organization on January 1, 1914, and merged with Delta Zeta in 1962."
Old 01-11-2016, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDZPledge View Post

I thought this may be of interest to a few people. I visited the HQ and museum for Delta Zeta this summer. As I love badges, I snapped this pic. It's the badges, new member pins, recognition pins, and flowers of each of Delta Zeta's mergers.

From the website "The first of four mergers by Delta Zeta Sorority with other sororities occurred in 1941 with Beta Phi Alpha, the first collegiate fraternity for women to originate on the United States' West Coast. Organized as Bide-a-Wee at the University of California/Berkeley, in 1909, it had become a Greek-letter organization by 1919 and was admitted to the National Panhellenic Conference in 1923. At their convention in Lakeside, Ohio in 1941, Beta Phi Alpha delegates voted to become part of Delta Zeta. Phi Omega Pi was founded at the University of Nebraska as the Achoth (Hebrew for "sisters") Sorority and was for women affiliated with the Order of the Eastern Star. The sisterhood became a Greek organization in 1922, and in the next 11 years merged with several sororities. Phi Omega Pi became a part of Delta Zeta in 1946. Delta Sigma Epsilon had been founded at Miami University in 1914 by a group of women committed to scholarship and high ideals. Devoted to students in education, it had chapters on four campuses within 17 months. Delta Sigma Epsilon merged with Delta Zeta in 1956. Theta Upsilon was founded on the University of California/Berkeley campus in 1909. Choosing the name Mekatina, a Native American word meaning "among the hills," the group became an official university organization on January 1, 1914, and merged with Delta Zeta in 1962."
According to Wikipedia, in addition to Delta Zeta and the four above, there are three other non-local sororities that had merged into these prior to their merger with Delta Zeta.
Pi Delta Theta had merged with Delta Sigma Epsilon
Alpha Sigma Delta had merged with Lambda Omega which then merged with Theta Upsilon.

So Eight in total...

Last edited by naraht; 01-11-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
According to Wikipedia, in addition to Delta Zeta and the four above, there are three other non-local sororities that had merged into these prior to their merger with Delta Zeta.
Pi Delta Theta had merged with Delta Sigma Epsilon
Alpha Sigma Delta had merged with Lambda Omega which then merged with Theta Upsilon.

So Eight in total...
I do believe that, if you look closely at the badges by Theta Upsilon, there is definitely a Alpha Sigma Delta badge, along with a Lambda Omega badge. I don't see a Pi Delta Theta badge by Delta Sigma Epsilon. So Headquarters definitely recognizes the other three mergers, but the paragraph I posted above came directly from the information below the badge display.

I guess maybe the Museum just wanted to focus on the mergers that directly merged with Delta Zeta?

ETA: After looking into it some more, I think that the Museum just focused on the four main mergers. There are actually more than seven sororities that were merged to become today's Delta Zeta. In 1915, Delta Sigma merged with Delta Sigma Epsilon. In 1933, Pi Sigma Gamma merged with Beta Sigma Omicron. In 1964, the majority of Beta Sigma Omicron's chapters merged with Delta Zeta (Others merged with Zeta Tau Alpha.) In 1924, Alpha Zeta Chi merged with Alpha Sigma Delta. Kappa Chi merged with Alpha Sigma Delta in 1926. The history goes on, but just the history of all the mergers gets confusing! I think that there is just a focus on the four main mergers.

Last edited by DoubleDZPledge; 01-11-2016 at 10:07 PM.