GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,412
3 members and 2,409 guests
MSKKG, Xidelt

Old 06-20-2005, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Question When do I go to Plan B?

Here's the deal:

I am about to finish graduate school on August 12. I am in the process of looking for my first job (i went straight from undergrad to grad).

I pretty much have my heart set on working for the federal govt in DC. It's a family tradition of sorts, I've had internships there and I know it's what I want to do.

Here's the thing. I have been applying non-stop for jobs since mid may in various fields i would go into, but heavily public affairs/writing/marketing positions. The parents are also making calls, forwarding resumes etc on my behalf. It's just I have only heard from 3 places out of well over a dozen. Not even a nice form letter saying thank for your application that most agencies send out. While I know it's still early and the process can take a while sometimes, I'm feeling ansy.

So here's the deal, when do I go outside the government into agencies and other companies in DC/NOVA? I don't want to work for an agency, I'm interning at one now and it sux. I really want to work for the govt so I dont want to take a job and then leave when one of the govt ones comes through. I mean I would feel bad taking a job for a short period of time (well hopefully a short period).
Old 06-20-2005, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

In business/work, as in life, you have to do what's best for you. You might as well apply for jobs all over the place, since there is no way to tell when or if you will find a government job. It sucks to leave a job after a short time, but it's better for you than sitting around unemployed for months or longer.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:58 PM

Agreed. Some government agencies (and some companies) take their sweet time (i.e. months) when making hiring decisions.

If I were you, I'd start applying elsewhere now. Some companies do move quickly, and you could have an offer lined up within a few weeks. Then, if an agency does come through with an offer a few months from now, you can choose between the two jobs. Otherwise you're sitting around unemployed, waiting to hear back from the agencies, and then, suppose the answer is no?

You have to look out for number one: yourself.

Good luck.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the info/advice.

I've decided that with overloading this summer in order to finish grad school a semester early I'm just going to concentrate on the govt applications.

Then once i'm back in MD and can easily go for interviews, I'll try the private industry or agency route.